U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is Sydney most like?
NYC 17 15.32%
San Francisco 42 37.84%
LA 22 19.82%
Other 30 27.03%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: sumter
6,647 posts, read 4,275,262 times
Reputation: 5597

Advertisements

san diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2013, 09:43 PM
 
235 posts, read 316,704 times
Reputation: 274
I don't get the San Diego comparisons, I've never been there either so that doesn't help. Can someone include some pictures and perhaps illustrate or outline the proposed similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,403 posts, read 4,088,526 times
Reputation: 4393
Those pictures the OP posted are great. I didn't think Sydney would look that flashy. It does remind me of Toronto, but more organized and slick looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 14,784,394 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I don't get the San Diego comparisons, I've never been there either so that doesn't help. Can someone include some pictures and perhaps illustrate or outline the proposed similarities?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...&bih=639&dpr=1

San Diego felt like the most Australian city in the US, but reminded me more of it's twin city, my hometown Perth, than Sydney. The Mediterranean climate, laid back feel, gum trees, suburban beach-centric lifestyle. Sydney is more fast-paced, has a climate more like the Southeastern US...but really no US city is that much like Sydney, San Diego might be closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,011 posts, read 20,803,513 times
Reputation: 8194
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...&bih=639&dpr=1

San Diego felt like the most Australian city in the US, but reminded me more of it's twin city, my hometown Perth, than Sydney. The Mediterranean climate, laid back feel, gum trees, suburban beach-centric lifestyle. Sydney is more fast-paced, has a climate more like the Southeastern US...but really no US city is that much like Sydney, San Diego might be closest.
Looking at the pictures of Sydney though, not at all. San Diego is very generic looking by comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 14,784,394 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Looking at the pictures of Sydney though, not at all. San Diego is very generic looking by comparison.
It's not only about looks, but the overall feel, especially on the streets. Street-view can't fully convey it too. But go to Perth and San Diego and you'll see the similarities. San Diego has a more Mexican-Latino flavour, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 AM
 
235 posts, read 316,704 times
Reputation: 274
I can see San Diego being more like Perth than Sydney as well. They are far more comparable imo. The only similarities Sydney and San Diego have would be that they both have harbours and that laid back "beach vibe" (which actually doesn't exist all over Sydney, it's more common in Bondi and the other beachside suburbs than it is in the CBD). I can also see the Toronto-Sydney connection, a lot more so than San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 14,784,394 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I can see San Diego being more like Perth than Sydney as well. They are far more comparable imo. The only similarities Sydney and San Diego have would be that they both have harbours and that laid back "beach vibe" (which actually doesn't exist all over Sydney, it's more common in Bondi and the other beachside suburbs than it is in the CBD). I can also see the Toronto-Sydney connection, a lot more so than San Diego.
Yes agree, not really like Sydney, just a bit moreso than LA (which I've heard compared to Sydney). SF has some similarities, the setting and the strong Asian presence, but is really a very different city.

Perth and Sydney do feel 'beachier' than Melbourne, but yeah it's not like it totally defines everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 AM
 
Location: SoCal
1,505 posts, read 3,078,840 times
Reputation: 1109
Uhmm Sydney has nothing in common with San Diego. The city part probably resembles NYC and Seattle, i don't see the Toronto/Chicago resemblance.

You guys keep going on about the city (CBD) part of Sydney which is a small part. The rest of the city where people actually live resembles suburban Toronto/California. But without the massive roads, palm trees and cleanly trimmed grass.

Example. Suburban Sydney;










Suburban California;



























Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 AM
 
235 posts, read 316,704 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes agree, not really like Sydney, just a bit moreso than LA (which I've heard compared to Sydney). SF has some similarities, the setting and the strong Asian presence, but is really a very different city.

Perth and Sydney do feel 'beachier' than Melbourne, but yeah it's not like it totally defines everyone.
That is true. Melbourne's beach vibe is far less predominant and certainly not as palpable as Sydney, the Gold Coast and Perth.

If we're going to compare North American cities, particularly San Francisco, to anywhere in the Southern Hemisphere, then we should compare Wellington and San Fran, not Sydney and SF. The two cities share a very similar makeup - from geography, culture and even architecture (two story weatherboard houses situated on low lying, rolling hills). The only difference would be the population, SF just trumps Wellington with its 7 million metro area compared to Wellington's tiny 300,000... why Wellington is so under populated and unknown is beyond me (although some New Zealanders may consider this a good thing rather than a drawback). It's a gorgeous place. Sydney's closest physical counterparts with any North American city would be NYC with a Californian climate and geography, as previously mentioned. Perhaps a little bit of LA, but not really. Melbourne would probably make the best connection with Boston or Montreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top