U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Sydney most like?
NYC 17 15.32%
San Francisco 42 37.84%
LA 22 19.82%
Other 30 27.03%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,251,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augostoschmitt View Post

A few photos of Sydney at street level, to jog some people's memories and so fourth...

IMG_1781 by mornnb, on Flickr

Of course, Sydney is Sydney, and it's in entirely its own league, as any other city is, but I'm interested in connections people make based on what they see.

In looking over your pictures. I found this one I saw in your post I have in your quote above that I find bares a uncanny resemblance to what in Chicago is its iconic Tribune Tower building, from the 1920s. I do not know your similar building's name? I carried your picture down to post side by side below. That is the what connection I saw in your pictures. I think all can pick out the buildings?

....Your picture .....This is a picture
.... of Sydney's ...... of Chicago's
....similar tower.....Tribune Tower
Attached Thumbnails
Which North American city is Sydney most comparable to?-sydney-buildings.jpg   Which North American city is Sydney most comparable to?-chicagos-wrigley-building-tribune-tower.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Oh...... I HATE to end a thread.... then I realized the OP started the thread back in 2013..... so apparently he or she won't be replying? Oh.... well I guess so be it

Old 03-12-2015, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 4,940 times
From the pictures, I'd say Syd looks like a scaled down version of NYC, with major similarities to Toronto and San Francisco.

New York, Toronto, San Francisco and Sydney would make a great little family of quadruplets.

They all share similar characteristics in geography, sprawl and built environment.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:28 PM

235 posts, read 321,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
In looking over your pictures. I found this one I saw in your post I have in your quote above that I find bares a uncanny resemblance to what in Chicago is its iconic Tribune Tower building, from the 1920s. I do not know your similar building's name? I carried your picture down to post side by side below. That is the what connection I saw in your pictures. I think all can pick out the buildings?

....Your picture .....This is a picture
.... of Sydney's ...... of Chicago's
....similar tower.....Tribune Tower
That building you are referring to in Sydney is The Grace Building. Built in the late 1920s, the building now functions as an upmarket hotel. It was modelled on Chicago's Tribune Tower so it's not surprising you can see a similarity.

Grace Building (Sydney) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grace building by zoom_eric, on Flickr

Old 08-25-2015, 08:47 PM

45 posts, read 39,503 times
It reminds me of Lower Manhattan. A tight dense downtown core balanced on an island alongside a vast natural harbour... very NYC to me. Not at all LA...

Sydney

Sydney Harbour by Stanislav Tsvirko, on Flickr

Sydney harbour by Michael Mocatta, on Flickr

Skyline of Sydney from Harbour by Mukul Banerjee, on Flickr

...Point of view... by Mario Bekes, on Flickr

Manhattan

Liberty State Park Pano by Tony Shi, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52836039@N02/20449033651/

Last edited by sandoreko; 08-25-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandoreko View Post
It reminds me of Lower Manhattan. A tight dense downtown core balanced on an island alongside a vast natural harbour... very NYC to me. Not at all LA...
Sydney
Sydney Harbour by Stanislav Tsvirko, on Flickr
Sydney harbour by Michael Mocatta, on Flickr
Skyline of Sydney from Harbour by Mukul Banerjee, on Flickr
...Point of view... by Mario Bekes, on Flickr

Manhattan
Liberty State Park Pano by Tony Shi, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/52836039@N02/20449033651/
You do realize Lower Manhattan is only part of the Island. Midtown is a WHOLE OTHER PART. With The Empire State building to Central Park the UN, Times Square. Just realize its like a WHOLE OTHER SKYLINE TOO.... ITS A BEAST. Though my favorite city remind Chicago......

Chicago has different sides to it also....

Looking Northwest.... South from
Over Lake Michigan..the North Shore
Attached Thumbnails
Which North American city is Sydney most comparable to?-chicago-lakefront-wih-harbors-snd-skyline   Which North American city is Sydney most comparable to?-chicago-gold-coast-downtown-.jpg  

Last edited by steeps; 08-29-2015 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 AM

45 posts, read 39,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
You do realize Lower Manhattan is only part of the Island. Midtown is a WHOLE OTHER PART. With The Empire State building to Central Park the UN, Times Square. Just realize its like a WHOLE OTHER SKYLINE TOO.... ITS A BEAST. Though my favorite city remind Chicago......

Chicago has different sides to it also....

Looking Northwest.... South from
Over Lake Michigan..the North Shore
That's why I'm only comparing Lower Manhattan to Sydney. The entire New York City area would be like Sydney's inner city core a dozen times over. A closer square mile/geographic size comparison to Sydney is Lower Manhattan, not Brooklyn or Midtown. As you get further out of Sydney's CBD, the suburbs become more like suburban Toronto or San Francisco.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:52 AM

5 posts, read 5,736 times
I def don't get how NYC can be compared with Australian cities. Almost all cities with metro areas over 1 mil have a dense cbd. So many American and Canadian downtown cities stand in for downtown ny in film and tv! Like it's a stretch to say a downtown area of Sydney is dense so therefore it compares to an entire dense city like NYC. It's only fair to compare the entire city and it's burbs and to me Sydney is more like a La/sd mash up.

On a side note: I used to work at a popular store in midtown and almost all the Australian's would complain about NYC's trash and smell which is frustrating bc our metro area has a population on par with the Australian continent so of course there's going to be more riff raf at hand. That's also a good point as to how they're no where near similar. Similar to NYC: Hong Kong, London, Paris, Tokyo.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 AM

235 posts, read 321,353 times
Well, for comparison sake, the skyline of Manhattan from Brooklyn strongly resembles the skyline of Sydney from Kirribilli.

Kirribilli Sunset by Tom Beesley, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/110058...6/34600533834/

Plus, Sydney's downtown core is rapidly increasing in density and population size.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,874,725 times
Sydney really does stand apart, but if you have to force a choice of those listed, maybe San Francisco, which I think is more beautiful in its bay and city. San Diego may be closer in vibe and presence though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or