U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is Sydney most like?
NYC 17 15.32%
San Francisco 42 37.84%
LA 22 19.82%
Other 30 27.03%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:15 PM

6,425 posts, read 7,609,131 times

Advertisements

None.

There is no other Sydney in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 06:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,873 times
Yea but all downtowns on water look like that. Also that is not our largest cbd. How about midtown? Does Sydney's midtown resemble New York's? Nyc has over 200 skycapers, how many does Sydney have? What about the boroughs? Is Sydneys downtown connected to other neighborhoods by a series of multiple bridges and tunnels? What about a street grid system? Is Sydney just filled with block after block of apartment buildings and brownstones that are literally side by side with above ground train lines running down major blvds? Does Sydney have over 8 million people in the city limits or 20 million in its metro area? It just really bugs me that some people on here keep saying an entire city like NYC is comparable to Sydney just because one neighborhood in New York looks like Sydney from across the river in pictures. Downtown is not a representation of us. It's a ghost town on weekends and no one but the uber wealthy lives there. You can't bring up nyc and ignore the rest of the town and even if you did want to take just the cbd's why not compare it to out actual biggest, midtown! The only thing Sydney has in common with NYC is their both their respective countries biggest cities. Basically just stop forcing this comparison. They don't compare. At least to a New Yorker.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,421,275 times
Cross between L.A, San Diego, SF and Santa Cruz Downtown Sydney: similar to Seattle combined with L.A.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,895,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry2013 View Post
Yea but all downtowns on water look like that. Also that is not our largest cbd. How about midtown? Does Sydney's midtown resemble New York's? Nyc has over 200 skycapers, how many does Sydney have? What about the boroughs? Is Sydneys downtown connected to other neighborhoods by a series of multiple bridges and tunnels? What about a street grid system? Is Sydney just filled with block after block of apartment buildings and brownstones that are literally side by side with above ground train lines running down major blvds? Does Sydney have over 8 million people in the city limits or 20 million in its metro area? It just really bugs me that some people on here keep saying an entire city like NYC is comparable to Sydney just because one neighborhood in New York looks like Sydney from across the river in pictures. Downtown is not a representation of us. It's a ghost town on weekends and no one but the uber wealthy lives there. You can't bring up nyc and ignore the rest of the town and even if you did want to take just the cbd's why not compare it to out actual biggest, midtown! The only thing Sydney has in common with NYC is their both their respective countries biggest cities. Basically just stop forcing this comparison. They don't compare. At least to a New Yorker.
Yes, It would be an odd comparison. Hardly anything similar between the two. California cities come closer. Perhaps Toronto or Vancouver also.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM

53 posts, read 18,406 times
Downtown, city core, and skyline looks like a cross of NYC and Toronto.

The suburbs resemble SoCal.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,228,286 times
It's a mix of LA and SF

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM

2,387 posts, read 1,275,104 times
The downtown area reminds me of Philadelphia.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 PM

10,048 posts, read 6,885,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
The downtown area reminds me of Philadelphia.
Philadelphia has a more "small city" look and it seems more similar to other Australian capitals (such as Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth). Sydney has a more higher, and "longer" alignment of, skyline. I'd compare the city to Seattle, San Francisco or Lower Manhattan.

I don't get the LA comparison. The suburban sprawl does indeed look like the neighbourhood areas in LA, but their downtown areas look NOTHING alike. Also, mentioning San Diego is just laughable - it completely trivializes the quality and size of Sydney.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:48 AM

2,387 posts, read 1,275,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Philadelphia has a more "small city" look and it seems more similar to other Australian capitals (such as Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth). Sydney has a more higher, and "longer" alignment of, skyline. I'd compare the city to Seattle, San Francisco or Lower Manhattan.

I don't get the LA comparison. The suburban sprawl does indeed look like the neighbourhood areas in LA, but their downtown areas look NOTHING alike. Also, mentioning San Diego is just laughable - it completely trivializes the quality and size of Sydney.
What do you mean Philadelphia has small city look? You probably never seen Philadelphia in person. The metro area is 5 million people, bigger than Sydney and Seattle. The downtown area, Center city, is the second biggest CBD in US based on population( 180k residents, second only to midtown Manhattan). It has tons of high rises and mid-rises. The tallest building is 1121 ft which is taller than anything in Sydney. The skyline is very long stretching from the Delaware river to the Schuylkill river, much of those was obscured by these very big high rises.

Last edited by Nn2036; 07-01-2017 at 12:56 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 01:00 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,247,838 times
Slight, very slight resemblance to San Francisco. A faint likeness to Downtown L.A in some shots, but very faint and it's nothing like Los Angeles.

I see some reminders of Vancouver, Canada, since I was there less than a month ago, but I can't be sure. If you had not told me that was Sydney, I would not have known. Most images of the city have been overhead, not detailed of the street and all. Only the Harbour, Opera House, etc. At least that's what I remember seeing in terms of images, never street level.

I feel if Sydney were to be plucked from Australia and had to either be in Canada or the United States, Canada definitely suits it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or