Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times

Advertisements

I've always been treated very well in France, but it helps that I speak the language fluently.

Brits, on the other hand, have often been very rude to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Maybe it's you?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I was traveling with my husband (who is Irish). He's not encountered any problems either. I just don't understand anyone that could ONLY encounter rude people in France. Negative vibes generally attract negative vibes. We're generally positive people and try to speak the language as best as we can.
My ancestors are from France. When my ship was scheduled to visit France, I was excited to visit the land of my ancestors. I had hoped to find people with the same family name as my own and my relatives. I don't speak fluent French though. Though I went there excited, I didn't meet any friendly people. Toulon, Nice, and Monaco don't seem to be friendly unless you speak fluently in their French or have plenty of money. At first I thought they treated me this way because I was an American. When our ship returned to homeport in Gaeta, Italy, I spoke to the locals I had became friends with. They told me it wasn't just Americans the French treated that way. Well, they told me that after they got through spitting and cursing the French.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yet I can admit that fellow American cities have issues and yet you wear rose colored glasses in relation to the French. The Baguette cycle riders in Paris are as bad as the messenger cyclists in NYC.
I live in Paris and I have never see any cycle riders carrying a baguette.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Nor did I. Maybe there are actors in touristy areas to keep the cliche alive.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I live in Paris and I have never see any cycle riders carrying a baguette.
Then maybe its changed over the past ten years and unlike me you are not walking the city as the sun is rising and the shops are opening.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Well, the use of bicycle was rather uncommon ten or twenty years ago, the idea of parisians using bike to buy baguette seems more on stereotypes than the reality.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:49 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Default Interesting Poll

I am a Caucasian Male from the United States who has done a lot of travel overseas both for work and for fun.

Many of these responses are very interesting and have made me think about how people travel.

I have encountered poor / rude service in several countries (Ireland, France, Italy) and I would agree France can treat a tourist poorly, but believe that this may be more true in Paris than elsewhere. I also recall sitting at an outdoor café in Paris and we greeted our waiter in French and made an attempt to speak some French. The waiter was great, spoke some English and very patiently answered our questions. Then when a group of Americans set down next to us and only spoke English, suddenly he acted as if he had never heard English in his life. So, as a general rule, if you try to speak the local language first, are civil and patient, you will likely find you are treated pretty well.

Another example (unfortunately more negative) was a food counter clerk a the Milan Airport. She spoke English when we were buying a small snack, but when we caught her trying to rip us off with the wrong change suddenly could not understand. However, I must commend the local Supervisor who stepped in very quickly and resolved the issue to my complete satisfaction.

For a positive story, we were in Rome on a surprisingly hot day in February and stopped at a fruit vendor. The man spoke absolutely no English but was a delight to interact with. He was funny, found ways to communicate about his fruit and prices, and ended up giving us extra fruit with our order.

I have traveled in the US a bit and overseas to China, Taiwan, Japan, Germany, Italy, France, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Austria, Amsterdam and Luxembourg and generally felt welcome in most places. I have a hard time picking a favorite, but really like Germany a lot. I would really commend the people in Munich during Octoberfest. There is at least one very, very understanding cab driver in Munich who was very nice to a very drunk American tourist walking to his hotel going the wrong direction.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM

168 posts, read 314,289 times
I was treated extremely well in Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan and Sweden. I can't remember being treated as badly as I was in France, absolutely unfriendly people.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 PM

133 posts, read 249,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My ancestors are from France. When my ship was scheduled to visit France, I was excited to visit the land of my ancestors. I had hoped to find people with the same family name as my own and my relatives. I don't speak fluent French though. Though I went there excited, I didn't meet any friendly people. Toulon, Nice, and Monaco don't seem to be friendly unless you speak fluently in their French or have plenty of money. At first I thought they treated me this way because I was an American. When our ship returned to homeport in Gaeta, Italy, I spoke to the locals I had became friends with. They told me it wasn't just Americans the French treated that way. Well, they told me that after they got through spitting and cursing the French.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJK View Post
I was treated extremely well in Britain, Germany, the Netherlands, Canada, Japan and Sweden. I can't remember being treated as badly as I was in France, absolutely unfriendly people.

Isn't just me, I just thought the French were rude towards people who looked different (Asians, Arabs, etc.) but man they are some of the most bigoted and hateful people in the world, would never want to live there in my life or stay there. Even the ones in the US are rude towards everyone.

Was shocked as to how openly racist people in France are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World