Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
China 3 3.53%
India 0 0%
Japan 1 1.18%
Thailand 0 0%
Finland 3 3.53%
Italy 0 0%
Norway 0 0%
United States 40 47.06%
United Kingdom 4 4.71%
Canada 17 20.00%
Costa Rica 0 0%
Brazil 3 3.53%
Australia 3 3.53%
Switzerland 2 2.35%
Other 9 10.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:09 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

The US does quite well and has a wide range of landscapes. China is the most obvious competitor; it has some land-forms that simply don't exist anywhere else on Earth, but many of them aren't specifically located in China's equivalent of national parks (I think the literal translation is something like "national scenic interest area"). India also has a very wide geographic range. Pakistan's scenery is often underrated, though some of the best parts (like Swat province) are tough to explore now due to the threat of violence.

Russia might have taken the title back when its boundaries were those of the USSR. It still has a huge array of geologic features, from volcano ranges to some lush temperate rainforests near the Caspian and Black Seas, but it also lost its part of the Himalayas, it lost the bizarre enormous deserts of Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, it lost the Crimea, it lost the hundreds of small valleys and gorges in the Caucus states, it lost most of its Baltic beaches, and so on.

In terms of countries with underrated park systems, Iran might be near the top:

From Wikipedia

That is indeed a rainforest. Iran has some temperate rainforests around the south shore of the Caspian. It also has mountain ranges, mountain meadows, a beach resort island called Kish, hundreds of miles of shoreline, and several different types of desert. It has a large salt lake called Urmia which is famous for its huge flocks of flamingos. It has large marshes and wetlands in the Shadegan region of the southwest. Before the fall of the Shah, Iran used to be a popular western destination for outdoors tourism because of its wide-ranging topography. It still has some of that industry even today.

Other countries with wide-ranging scenery include Chile and Argentina (the highest mountains in the Americas as well as climates ranging from hot desert to the subarctic), Bolivia (mountains, Amazon jungle, salt flats), Madagascar (all sorts of weird landforms, animals, and microclimates), France, Australia, and of course, New Zealand. Japan also deserves a mention - it stretches from the cold waters of northern Hokkaido down to the subtropics, and has done a superb job of preserving its best landscapes even though it packs a lot of people into a limited amount of land.

Last edited by tablemtn; 08-03-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Sweden.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

I think this is probably accurate. Although China probably has all of this, just not in parks. Canada would have a good chuck of it as well, but again, not in parks.

I think us, as North Americans, should simply be incredibly greatful that we're peaceful neighbours, and can enjoy what this great continent has to offer, at will.
I think this is a good point - Canada while having a very beautiful and extensive national park system isn't home to 300 Million + people supporting them. Much of our natural beauty is so remote very few are able to lay eyes upon much of it.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:31 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Australia

Daintree

Kakadu

Pinnacles national park

Freycinet national park

Uluru

nitmiluk national park

Old 08-03-2013, 05:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
This depends on the criteria. In terms of variety of landscapes, the US wins. In terms of wildlife variety, perhaps India. In terms of sheer biomass (as well as variety), a tie between Kenya and Tanzania. In terms of vast expansion, perhaps Canada.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I cant deal with this now im too tired I will comment in the mornning
dude, you got owned.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Don't forget parks like Kosciuszko in NSW and South West in Tas.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=S...=2558&bih=1246
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=k...=2558&bih=1246

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
dude, you got owned.
No I didn't I proved most of thee stuff he accused me of wrong.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
No I didn't I proved most of thee stuff he accused me of wrong.
Not quite true.

Your picture of the Rocky Mtns. is of Moraine Lake/Valley of the Ten Peaks in Banff National Park, Alberta.
Most Canadian recognize it right away as it was on the back of our $ 20 bill.
Also your photo of Niagara Falls is Horseshoe Falls in Ontario, Canada.

Canada wins

A country of a similar size with a tenth of the population of another country
is bound to have more unspoiled wilderness.
Some Canadian national parks are even very difficult to get to (no roads in)
and therefore offer a more true wilderness experience.
Unlike the more popular US national parks,
I, personally have been stuck in traffic jams in Yosemite, Yellowstone,
Badlands, and Smokey Mtns. parks, kinda ruining the "wilderness" experience for me.
You visit national parks to get away from traffic, not to be stuck in it!

Last edited by BMI; 08-04-2013 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-04-2013, 06:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not quite true.

Your picture of the Rocky Mtns. is of Moraine Lake/Valley of the Ten Peaks in Banff National Park, Alberta.
Most Canadian recognize it right away as it was on the back of our $ 20 bill.
Also your photo of Niagara Falls is Horseshoe Falls in Ontario, Canada.

Canada wins

A country of a similar size with a tenth of the population of another country
is bound to have more unspoiled wilderness.
Some Canadian national parks are even very difficult to get to (no roads in)
and therefore offer a more true wilderness experience.
Unlike the more popular US national parks,
I, personally have been stuck in traffic jams in Yosemite, Yellowstone,
Badlands, and Smokey Mtns. parks, kinda ruining the "wilderness" experience for me.
You visit national parks to get away from traffic, not to be stuck in it!
Canada's parks would be crowded if the country was populated by more than just a few mounties riding aimlessly in search of the trollop named Nell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World