Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the most beautiul sounding Germac languages?
Danish 4 4.40%
Dutch 7 7.69%
English 38 41.76%
Faroese 0 0%
Frisian 1 1.10%
German 21 23.08%
Icelandic 13 14.29%
Norwegian 16 17.58%
Scots 3 3.30%
Swedish 29 31.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,264,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I always thought that, to. But I Google-translated a sentence into Afrikaans, then translated that into Dutch, and almost every word was different. Mostly spelling differences, but I would assume significant differences in the sound of the spoken language, which is the topic of this thread. Just as English would sound very different in Jamaica than in Edinburgh. Or French in Senegal or Quebec. One might be pleasing to a foreigner's ear, and the other not.
I see your point but those dialects in English and French you mentioned are still considered English and French.

A lot of Afrikaans, is "archaic" Dutch, held over from the 17th century. Google translate doesn't always nail it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,264,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
To me, the Romance languages sound lovely to the ear. Much more so than any Germanic language. So I am not surprised that Germanic languages sound harsh to those people.
I think both sound nice but in different ways. Romance languages are very melodic where as Germanic languages tend to be rhythmic.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,979,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I read that German and Dutch are very gutteral and harsh languages, and that English is soft spoken. I think English will get alot of votes, but i am not sure, i don't know how non-english speakers hear English.

Well anyways that is it for me, i personally won't vote and will only read what other says.
I once came across a reference that surprised me-that English has a whistling sound. Due to the use of "s" for plural words.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,546 times
Afrikaans sounds ugly. Just bad. Swedish and Norwegian are melodic.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:48 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,378,308 times
Norwegian accent is my love! (Starting after 2:00 listen carefully the guy in the video is speaking "Tonem 2" listed words on the paper)

Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 PM

11,649 posts, read 12,836,349 times
English sounds normal to me. It's not beautiful and it isn't ugly.

I like how Dutch and Swedish sound though.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I read that German and Dutch are very gutteral and harsh languages, and that English is soft spoken. I think English will get alot of votes, but i am not sure, i don't know how non-english speakers hear English.

Well anyways that is it for me, i personally won't vote and will only read what other says.
Dutch really sounds guttural. German, depends on the accent. The German as spoken in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland don't sound me harsh at all.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:19 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,980,152 times
This poll surprises me.

I just went through the Scandinavian countries, last year, and the sound of Swedish didn't strike me as all that pretty. Actually I didn't like the sound of it. It reminded me of the way that the English-speakers make fun of it, and kind of exaggerate it. I could see why they make fun of it, basically.

When I went to Germany though, I was expecting it to be grate on my nerves. I hardly noticed the language having any effect on me whatsoever.

I don't have any opinion on Danish, although it sounded fine to me, and when I went into Sweden, I didn't like it. So, I guess Danish must have had a very neutral effect on me, or a good one. But, in contrast, I can easily say that Danish sounded more pleasant to me than Swedish.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,309,344 times
Just out of curiosity, do people who don't speak German hear any differences between those dialects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-UfPCubsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ftQ_8MKXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5GdD9f_6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KruPGF8E-AM

Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,980,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Just out of curiosity, do people who don't speak German hear any differences between those dialects?
The first two sounded very similar to me.

The third had a very different feel, but I couldn't tell you in what way. I liked that one though. But I couldn't tell if that was the manner of the person, as it was so much more informal than the others, and more casual.

The fourth was formal, and that took away from me from trying to find any regional dialect.

As another aside, the girl in the first one was hot. The accent was not a 'hot' accent though. The accent of the third would probably be interesting to hear on a female that looks like #1 though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World