Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

A big tourist destination outside of overseas Koreans and East and Southeast Asians who are into Kpop and Korean dramas is pretty unlikely for a while, but those by themselves might be enough. A lot of Korea's architectural treasures were destroyed and the fact is they are a relatively small country. However, the Chinese tourism market is growing by leaps and bounds, so that might be enough to do it for South Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
South Korea is becoming more internationally prominent, and experienced a phenomenal change of events in the past few decades, including in technology, and becoming much wealthier very quickly, and even in the past 5 to 10 years.

The increasing popularity of international tourism to South Korea is very possible for happening there. However, this is mostly going to be for Asians from other countries in Asia, Australia, and USA North America. South Korea’s tourist attractions continues to be mostly unknown to most people in Europe, South America, and Canada.

I never expect South Korea to reach the top 15 most visited countries in the world for tourism. However, it is kind of surprising South Korea is already number 25 with 9.7 million to 10 million annual international tourists, the majority from China and Japan.

I believe there is a decent amount of tourism attractions in South Korea. However, there is much more other countries and regions of the world I want to visit more before going to South Korea. Most people have a similar view for visiting South Korea, and prioritize for where they want to travel the most, spending money in travel before going somewhere else in the world.

South Korea is also ranked to not be very welcoming to foreigners right now, having tension with the neighboring country of North Korea, and having a very workaholic economic mindset, so the tourism base is going to be mostly from neighboring countries such as China, and Japan for recent times in the near future for the next decade.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. South Korea is everything that you say and is becoming increasingly less third world. I think it would be a fascinating place to visit! Add to that - we adopted one of our children from South Korea.

My daughter is boycotting South Korea due to their brutal tratment of animals - particularly digs and cats which are boiled and skinned alive.

Taking my daughter's lead and I'll pass that up until they stop that.
I suppose that's noble, but animal cruelty happens in every country. If the government is condoning or not doing enough to stop it though that's another matter.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
South Korea is becoming more internationally prominent, and experienced a phenomenal change of events in the past few decades, including in technology, and becoming much wealthier very quickly, and even in the past 5 to 10 years.

The increasing popularity of international tourism to South Korea is very possible for happening there. However, this is mostly going to be for Asians from other countries in Asia, Australia, and USA North America. South Korea’s tourist attractions continues to be mostly unknown to most people in Europe, South America, and Canada.

I never expect South Korea to reach the top 15 most visited countries in the world for tourism. However, it is kind of surprising South Korea is already number 25 with 9.7 million to 10 million annual international tourists, the majority from China and Japan.

I believe there is a decent amount of tourism attractions in South Korea. However, there is much more other countries and regions of the world I want to visit more before going to South Korea. Most people have a similar view for visiting South Korea, and prioritize for where they want to travel the most, spending money in travel before going somewhere else in the world.

South Korea is also ranked to not be very welcoming to foreigners right now, having tension with the neighboring country of North Korea, and having a very workaholic economic mindset, so the tourism base is going to be mostly from neighboring countries such as China, and Japan for recent times in the near future for the next decade.
Yes the 10 million figure isn't surprising if you figure China is such a rapidly growing market. The Japanese, of course, are so close and have always had a lot of expendable income for travel.

For me South Korea and Vietnam are sort of similar. Their culture is very similar to China, with less unique things in my eyes than Japan does. The landscape of Korea, while pretty, isn't really that different to what one could find in North America or Japan. Seoul would attract those who are into technology and hyper-modern cities, and i think is the main attraction of Korea.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
There certainly isn't a shortage of American, British, and Australians wanting to teach English there. In fact, the teaching programs have become very stringent in weeding out prospective teachers nowdays due to supply. The program EPIK provides free housing accomodations along with a very good salary, benefits, etc. Also, a friend of mine got some great deals on high quality, stylish apparel there. She also loved the facial creams and products for women there too. She said it was much better than the ones in America for some reason. The food would also be good to experience for first timers too.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the 10 million figure isn't surprising if you figure China is such a rapidly growing market. The Japanese, of course, are so close and have always had a lot of expendable income for travel.

For me South Korea and Vietnam are sort of similar. Their culture is very similar to China, with less unique things in my eyes than Japan does. The landscape of Korea, while pretty, isn't really that different to what one could find in North America or Japan. Seoul would attract those who are into technology and hyper-modern cities, and i think is the main attraction of Korea.
There is room for improvement with South Korea to have more international tourists. However, I expected this to be around number 15 to 25 for most visited countries in the world somewhere between 10 million to 19 million annual tourists, and never above 15th place.

Some of the foreign indie films from South Korea are amazingly complex, filled with depth, so its not just the superficial pop culture from there.

This photo of Seoul South Korea in the website link is one of the best, most phenomenal photos of Seoul: http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwik...ruary_2009.jpg

Busan, South Korea the 2nd largest city is pretty nice: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5209/5...bf1ecf8e_z.jpg
http://english.busan.go.kr/community/img/resort1.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_M0MFzDQ8fe...0/100_1649.jpg

Jeju island: http://surfingnewsdaily.com/wp-conte...ipedia-pix.jpg http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/5043/...sand_beach.jpg http://lovethesepicture.files.wordpr...tain.jpg?w=870 http://www.tourismontheedge.com/wp-c.../jeju-lake.jpg

The 4 seasons nature scenery in most of South Korea: 2012 Autumn Foliage

South Korea is more photogenic and visually impressive than expected, and makes me want to visit South Korea more, even if I prefer visiting 20 to 30 other countries more before visiting South Korea.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 PM

Jeju, a world heritage site, is actually the thing i'd most want to visit in Korea. It's one big volcano with interesting landscapes. They have a unique culture, quite different to the rest of Korea, a matriarchal society. There are these old women who still dive for various seafoods, similar to in Japan, the 'sea ladies' or something like that.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
I've been to Japan, Sth Korea & China.

And Koreans easily were the most unwelcoming out of them. And Seoul is a city that I felt had no unique culture to it. I really cannot see Korea climbing the influential ladder.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I've been to Japan, Sth Korea & China.

And Koreans easily were the most unwelcoming out of them. And Seoul is a city that I felt had no unique culture to it. I really cannot see Korea climbing the influential ladder.
My auntie enjoyed South Korea but she too said the people in Seoul weren't that friendly. I think they're moreso in rural areas though.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Jeju, a world heritage site, is actually the thing i'd most want to visit in Korea. It's one big volcano with interesting landscapes. They have a unique culture, quite different to the rest of Korea, a matriarchal society. There are these old women who still dive for various seafoods, similar to in Japan, the 'sea ladies' or something like that.
I have equal preference for wanting to visit Seoul, Jeju island, Busan, and rural Northeastern South Korea Gwandong region.

However, I prefer visiting more 20 to 30 other countries in the world before visiting South Korea, even if I appreciate, like, and respect this country too, finding it very interesting, and more visually impressive than expected.

There is an unprecedented, extremely entertaining fact about South Korea between Seoul and Jeju island.

The number 1 World’s Busiest Passenger Air Route in 2012 was Seoul airport to Jeju island with literally up to 10.1 million passengers in 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_passenger_air_routes File:Top 21 passenger air routes.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeju island is already very popular in domestic tourism, mostly for mainland South Koreans visiting there. However, outside of South Korea, Jeju island continues to be mostly unknown, very mysterious, and a hidden secret for international tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World