Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

No too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No too far away.
Australia is too far away but that's not stopping a lot of people from visiting. If you're a Brit, that's not stopping the ~1 million Brits that live there.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt if a country that people "wouldn't mind seeing" will ever attract a high number of tourists. Nor can I imagine very many people using their vacation to go and visit a city because it is modern and high tech. While Korea does have a few cultural sites, none of them are things that you friends back home will envy you for having visited. It has plenty of seashore, but nothing that would attract an international set of beach-goers.

Although nominally picturesque, there are no landscapes in Korea that are any more remarkable than what you would see from a bus window in any other East Asian country. Korea can be viciously cold outside the summer, so it will never be a year-round attraction like Southeast Asia. Koreans eat a very sparse diet, largely devoid of meat, so unless you can afford frequent fine dining, you will not find it awesome in any culinary sense. A typical lunch or supper is Ramen noodles and Kimchi, and Kimchi is not poised to become the world's favorite condiment any time soon. .
Yes Korea doesn't seem to have many unique draws, but Korean food is becoming popular here, including kimchi. I thought Koreans ate a lot of meat, I mean Korean BBQ and everything.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Koreans love the BBQ but they eat plenty of veggies/peppers with it..Korean food is typical Asian in that you have rice or noodles, veggies and meat for flavor. They also eat a good bit of fish and too much garlic. I tried to learn to like the Kimchi but just couldn't develop a taste for it the whole time I worked there. Actually Korean food is both good and healthy. Staying fit and eating rationally is part of the medical plan of Korea. Soju & mekju must also be good for you....they drink a ton of it and don't get fat.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I thought Koreans ate a lot of meat, I mean Korean BBQ and everything.
The reason you have heard about Koran BBQ is because it is an occasional specialty. Koreans have,and can afford, meat so rarely, that when they do, it is a special festive occasion to make the best of it.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:12 AM

108 posts, read 259,592 times
If they build escalators in the subway stations then im sure it could.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
The reason you have heard about Koran BBQ is because it is an occasional specialty. Koreans have,and can afford, meat so rarely, that when they do, it is a special festive occasion to make the best of it.
The part about meat consumption is no longer true for South Koreans. Korean BBQ isn't an everyday thing, but it's pretty common.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
I think Koreans are pretty wealthy now? I know in China until recently most people couldn't afford meat much, so they were practically vegetarians.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Although Korea gets a reason 10 million or so visitors a year, it seems the vast majority are from China and Japan. With the rise of Korean influence in culture and technology, I'm wondering if you think Korea will become a big tourist draw (obviously not as big as China) to other nationalities, particularly from those outside Asia. Japan gets a surprisingly modest number of tourists - about 7 million, largely because of expense/perceived expense. Korea is still quite a lot cheaper, so maybe now is the window in which Korea can draw in numbers somewhat similar to say Malaysia or Thailand (although I doubt it would ever really equal those numbers).

Personally, I have to say South Korea has never been high on my list, but it's a country I wouldn't mind visiting. Korean culture seems kind of interesting, and Seoul is probably one of the most modern high-tech cities in the world.
Yes. South Korea is everything that you say and is becoming increasingly less third world. I think it would be a fascinating place to visit! Add to that - we adopted one of our children from South Korea.

My daughter is boycotting South Korea due to their brutal tratment of animals - particularly digs and cats which are boiled and skinned alive.

Taking my daughter's lead and I'll pass that up until they stop that.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I like the pork version of that Koran BBQ.

As for dogs, some still eat it but I could tell the Koreans I worked with were embarrassed about it also. Regarding Koreans being too poor for frequent BBQ, certainly not where I lived and worked. Korean BBQ was very popular and we ate there just about every Friday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World