Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I'm not sure if it's still the case, but I think I heard that we had more obese or overweight people than the US. Either way, we're up there in the top 5. Most Australians do not look like those trimmed tanned beach bods you see on tourist ads.
Well Americans have a higher percentage of fat people but Australians and New Zealanders are not much behind.

Just like last year, Australia remains at fifth place with 24.6% of its population considered obese, while New Zealand is still at third with 26.5%.
There's no surprise there as the two neighbouring countries have done little movement in the chart in the past years.
However, it's worth noting that the United States, which had held the title of the most obese among populous countries for a long time, has now passed the torch to Mexico.

Australia and NZ Still High in Most Obese Nation List; Mexico Beats U.S. , Now No. 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,474,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacof View Post
I'm not sure why you're using that emoticon. Aussies seem to get really butthurt when people don't worship their country. I'm not interested in Australia and have no desire to visit the place yet, as there are countless other locations that are higher on my priority list. Get over it. It's nothing personal, and it isn't an attack on Australia - it's just personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augostoschmitt View Post
Even the people who left Australia ended up missing it...
Yes, that is just one example.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM

3,681 posts, read 7,188,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Australia is one of the most diverse nations in the world. People from every nation imaginable live here. Indians and Chinese are now the top source countries of people coming to Australia but many different nationalities come here to live.

I don't know where people get the idea that Australia is racist. Australians are on a whole very accepting of different nationalities. Why do so many want to come here otherwise?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
Yeah its diverse there, doesn't make it not racist, and please where people get this Australia is racist crap, I have seen 5 people including me on this forum tell stories of racism in Australia, now I am sure its not all of them but some of them are just NUTS. Australians are only used to Asians that's it, if you go to lets say Los Angeles and you walk into the store, the store will probably be about 60% Latino, 30% Asian and 10% white. Same could be said for Houston, Chicago, New York city, Philly or even San Francisco, now cities like Miami is all latino, or cities like dallas is mostly Asian and white or Cincinnati which is mostly black and white.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 PM

2,672 posts, read 5,436,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Yeah its diverse there, doesn't make it not racist, and please where people get this Australia is racist crap, I have seen 5 people including me on this forum tell stories of racism in Australia, now I am sure its not all of them but some of them are just NUTS. Australians are only used to Asians that's it, if you go to lets say Los Angeles and you walk into the store, the store will probably be about 60% Latino, 30% Asian and 10% white. Same could be said for Houston, Chicago, New York city, Philly or even San Francisco, now cities like Miami is all latino, or cities like dallas is mostly Asian and white or Cincinnati which is mostly black and white.
I think it is not accurate to label it as a racist country when the vast majority of Australians are not racist. In any country you will get racist individuals. This week I read about a Muslim women in Sweden that was attacked for wearing Muslim dress but most Swedes aren't racist.

There is strict legislation in Australia against racism. I've lived the bulk of my life here but I'm from an immigrant background like a large proportion of people here. I am from an Irish family and there are people from Africa, Asian, South America here. Australia will have a very large Asian population in the future with the way trends in immigration are going.

I can only go on my personal experience living here and there is very little racist incidents. What has been your personal experience of racism here?

Last edited by Bernie20; 08-20-2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
What is your point? Cities less white does not necessary less racist. Cities such as Johannesburg would be even less white than a majority of major cities in the US yet it has bigger issues with racism.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,594,220 times
Australia might be interesting for a two week vacation, but I would not want to live there. Too remote, too boring, too many animals I don't like, too extreme weather, too British

Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,214,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augostoschmitt View Post
Having lived there for 15 years, I can vouch for the fact that this is over-exaggerated, I've never come across anything deadly... the worst I've seen was the common house spider (in an old house, surprise surprise!)
Yeah, I figured it was probably exaggerated but we see a lot of that stuff on our nature channels here in the US. Australia tops all the lists for scary effing creatures.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,214,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Australia is one of the most diverse nations in the world. People from every nation imaginable live here. Indians and Chinese are now the top source countries of people coming to Australia but many different nationalities come here to live.

I don't know where people get the idea that Australia is racist. Australians are on a whole very accepting of different nationalities. Why do so many want to come here otherwise?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
My friend lived there for awhile, he said he heard the term "bloody Abos" come out of more than a few Australian mouths.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 AM

2,672 posts, read 5,436,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
My friend lived there for awhile, he said he heard the term "bloody Abos" come out of more than a few Australian mouths.
There are a lot of social problems with Aboriginal people. It has been caused by both sides but the Australian Government are sincerely trying to do everything to address this. For example you get a lot of extra Government money if you are Aboriginal to try and help address some of the problems. Aboriginal people are given allowances to send their children to school. There are also programs where Aboriginal people are hired by Government agencies. There is a lot of help in a lot of areas given to Aboriginal people.

There is a very high rate of crime per capita with Aboriginal people. It is a complex issue.

Maybe other Aussies can address this issue in this forum.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM

25,915 posts, read 24,594,220 times
Odd to call the natives, from whom you stole the land, bloody natives. Doesn't seem like the colonial mindset has gone away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand