U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 83 65.35%
Latin Europeans 15 11.81%
Other (specify) 29 22.83%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 AM

10,792 posts, read 11,642,149 times

Advertisements

Whether one accepts your categories of "Germanic" and "Latin," which seems to have inflamed a number of people, it is clear what contrast you are drawing.

I was born and raised in America, by the way. There are pockets in the U.S. where there are very strong local cultures, of course. But as a loose generalization I would say that neither category describes America and Americans. People are often easy-going and informal, but the national culture is shot through with Puritanism (and I am not referring to affairs of the crotch only.) Not far beneath the bonhomie of Americans is frequently a rigidity and a tendency to bully about the ineluctable rightness of their sacred views on....(you name it.)

I live in southern Europe now and have for more than a decade. The people I feel that are most like Americans are many of the English I have met. I am fascinated with how similar many of them are to Americans: change the accents and many could be comfortably dropped into the U.S., there is a similar blend of sociability combined with aggressive self-righteousness. The English are so adamant, oftentimes, about not being Europeans that I am left with the feeling that neither the Americans nor the English remind me much of any Europeans.

Perhaps I should add that most of the friends I have are from the northern part of western Germany, or southern Portuguese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM

23,727 posts, read 15,071,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Who is the one infested?? Oh yes we hate working, we live with other's money
Yes, you do. And we are cold, serious and don't much enjoy anything. Get it?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,814,456 times
Where in the US did you go? I think even though they're equally American New Yorkers will be very different to Minnesotans. A lot of Latin influence there, both Italians, Puerto Ricans.etc, and Jews also have a similar sort of temperament. If you went to Minneapolis things might be different.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM

81 posts, read 152,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, you do. And we are cold, serious and don't much enjoy anything. Get it?

WTF

Come on guys, nobody here is accusing and inventing stereotypes, the OP asked something that I find very interesting.

My experience in the USA is very short, just in NY State for a few days, but I worked in a hotel in my city and I have met too many people from all over the world, too many many Americans too, and I find that Americans are a bit more like Latins, not only latin Europeans but they reminded me to Latin Americans as well. With the exception of language.

Why? They are eager to meet new people, they express feelings very openly, etc. Latin Americans do it as well, much more tan Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese... Maybe I am crazy but it is my impression.

But... is it bad? No!! As I love open people.

About coldness and all that stuff. Every person is different, but it is not false that Nothern Europeans are less warm tan southerns, is it bad? again NOT!!! it depends on how each single person opinión. Weather is also colder so it is very NORMAL that they spend less time outside.

This thread makes me miss my time in Costa Rica, dunno why.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM

My entire point was this:

1) Catbelle were and still is under the stereotypical impression that for example British and Swedish (or all speaking Germanic languages) are boring, cold and really don't really enjoy anything. And do not shave, as she said in another topic earlier. I don't find this all only false, I find it it also ignorant and rude.

2) Well, miss Catbelle went to America filled with stereotypes about a cold culture, but found the people nice, outgoing and friendly. Here stereotypes were smashed.

3) But still she couldn't relinquish her stereotypic views, as the Americans were nice, they must be latin or have a latin culture. Or somewhat in-between. It still didn't cross her mind that people with Anglo-Saxon or Scandinavian heritage might be fun and outgoing as well. She stuck with her high school stereotypes.

4) So, I thought I'd hit her back with some stereotypes we have about Southern Europeans, if she would then realize how wrong she is. Especially with the ever ongoing €uro crisis, the stereotypes have become even more strengthened. Spaniards, Portuguese, Italians and Greeks are lazy, don't take responsibility, cannot be trusted and don't like to work. Every adult in Scandinavia knows what a mañana attitude means.

5) Say, British, Germans and Scandinavians aren't cold or boring just because we don't shout and wave our hands in the air like morons all the time. We aren't at all less 'warm' than Spaniards. WE JUST SHOW IT DIFFERENTLY!

6) Time to stop. This ignorance is making me furious and I'm waving my hands like a moron. Maybe I should go ice-fishing to cool off.

Last edited by Ariete; 08-22-2013 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,301,636 times
I fear many people here tend to confuse "culture" with "personality" or "character".

I do not think that the fact that many people seem to be extraverted in the USA makes them of a latin culture. I've heard that Danish people are said to be famous for their extraversion, they keept are typically northern European and quintessentially Germanic. Many people from latin cultures are not neceserally that much extraverted. Also there are variations, I never felt the Spanish to be as extraverted the way many Italians are, that doesn't makes them less latin. The serious, tragicness (even somehow rigid in the case of Castillan personality) about "spanish personality" does not make them less "latin".

What exist in latin culture vs germanic ones is a more physical approach in social contacts, less physical distance, lots of kissing attitudes, etc. and maybe on average a more "family" attitude (maybe due to the catholic context, while Protestant cultures seem more individualistic (well there might even be exceptions). Also the relation to money and business activities seem to be different. On those aspects the USA seem to me very un-latin.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I fear many people here tend to confuse "culture" with "personality" or "character".

I do not think that the fact that many people seem to be extraverted in the USA makes them of a latin culture. I've heard that Danish people are said to be famous for their extraversion, they keept are typically northern European and quintessentially Germanic. Many people from latin cultures are not neceserally that much extraverted. Also there are variations, I never felt the Spanish to be as extraverted the way many Italians are, that doesn't makes them less latin. The serious, tragicness (even somehow rigid in the case of Castillan personality) about "spanish personality" does not make them less "latin".

What exist in latin culture vs germanic ones is a more physical approach in social contacts, less physical distance, lots of kissing attitudes, etc. and maybe on average a more "family" attitude (maybe due to the catholic context, while Protestant cultures seem more individualistic (well there might even be exceptions). Also the relation to money and business activities seem to be different. On those aspects the USA seem to me very un-latin.
A very good post.

Being extrovert or introvert is mostly a personality issue. The rest is about culture and how you are "suppose" to behave. I don't find the Danish culture being that extrovert, but I find it to be very easygoing and informal, which might feel extroverted. Especially in Scandinavia, people tend to keep their distance, and just charge towards another group of people asking a lot of questions might be considered rude, unlike in some other countries. The other group have to give a sign that it's ok to join them. Again, even if everyone would be as extroverted and curious about the others, this is how it works here. Cultural differences. Same with cheek-kissing. It's not the norm here.

Yes, Northern Europeans are definitely less family-oriented and the kids are supposed to take care of themselves from a younger age, as to school them to be consenting adults. So is the situation in the US. Being a mama's boy is an insult. But not really a part of this topic.

I attended a wedding in Catalonia a few years back, and found them very shy of us Finns. But that was mainly because we didn't share a language. That didn't make me feel the Spaniards as introvert, the practical issue was that speaking through a translator is very annoying. We played football with the kids during the evening, because we didn't need a common language as nobody cared, we were just having fun.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,371,779 times
Good afternoon.

Now with more time to spend here (I hope not wasted) I am going to clarify some points:

1. I never said Americans have a latin culture, most of them yes, because of the migrations, I asked how did you feel hey are more similar too, regarding two big Europeans groups. This thread is not about how they ARE (latin or not) but as some people were offended I clarify this, as it if was a problem...(is it? maybe another interesting thread).

2. Even for me, coldness is not a mistake or a negative thing, I consider myself warmer than many people I have known abroad, but also colder than many others as well. But I like close people and these attitudes we were talking before. I like giving 2 kisses to say hello to someone, and I hate when they put their face away (this has happened to me HERE) Abroad:if shaking hands is the rule, I do it no problem. (just an example) Donde fueres haz lo que vieres wise sentence.
You can call it show in a different way OK!!

3. Shaving legs, wear viking hats, lazy Spaniards who live with other's money, Frenchs who don't shower and al stuff was said in Stereotypes thread. This one is not about that.

4. I wrote "people" because I would like to hear personal experiences and instincst, not History or cultural rules.

5. Outdoor/ indoor people: yes people can have fun inside too (me included) I never drink alcohol and I am from the South...strange?no. but it depends on WEATHER yes, sorry but weather makes people to spend more time out or inside.

6. I don't hate anyone, I have friends from USA, Sweden, England, Poland, etc.

And I think I don't forget anything, if you guys think I am ignorant OK, I won't play the insulting game. I am happy about those people who understood the real sense of the thread.

What I don't understand is, why some people were offendeded about some comparisons, as if there were superior nationalities or cultures, also the fact of using the word moron as an example to discuss.
----------------------

The Postman: I visited New York, Maryland, Washington DC and Florida. I forgot to tell you before.

Last edited by Catbelle; 08-22-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM

15,844 posts, read 19,791,198 times
Why anyone is offended by this thread would make an interesting study in psychology LOL

Anyway, as someone mentioned, the exact impression one gets from people in the US depends on location. As mentioned so many times but not ever understood by non Americans, the USA is not a monolith. the south is known for being very warm and friendly. Where as the Pacific Northwest has a reputation for being reserved and at times introverted. People are generally quieter than in other parts of the country. The Northeast tends to be more boisterous and more "in your face" so to speak.

These are broad brush generalizations done to save time. In the south for example, New Orleans isn't like Atlanta. Now as far as how Latin things may be? Again depends on location. Southern California is decidedly more Latin due to the strong and prevalent Hispanic, predominantly, Mexican culture in the area. Very different from Louisiana which still has a Latin influence but is more French. Mardi Gras is like an American Carnival. Then as mentioned, there's Pennsylvania which has a stronger German influence. Minnesota has a noticeable Scandinavian influence to it. many East Coast cities have an Italian flavor.

Overall however, I think it's more Germanic than anything. Rule of Law, dominant religion etc. Culture and language seem almost inextricably linked. One seems to affect the other.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM

831 posts, read 2,233,531 times
America has his own culture, far away from european cultures. The only closer cultures to the US might be the UK, but rather for ithe UK's anglospheric charather than American's European one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World