U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 82 65.08%
Latin Europeans 15 11.90%
Other (specify) 29 23.02%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM

11,769 posts, read 10,493,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
British culture can be as polite, imo americans want to appear kind to everybody, sometimes it can appear forced and not natural.

I dont see much similarities between American and scandinavian cultures for example.
Germans are more direct people, I'd say the American culture is rather scpecifically of Anglospheric and British variation rather than general of "northern european" variation.
While I know the difference between Britons and Germans of course, I was trying to relate to OP's question as much as possible, that 's why initially I've said that American is clearly a "Northern European" culture since Britons in my opinion fell into this category as well. I did specify however that American culture is the modified version of British culture nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 AM

1,994 posts, read 920,468 times
More like Germanic but more social than any Germanic people in Europe I think.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 AM

2,459 posts, read 3,164,423 times
It's most probably neither. I don't think many places can be classified as Germanic or Latin unless they are actually primarily those cultures like Germany or Spain.

The US is most probably more similar to other English speaking countries like UK, Ireland, NZ, Canada and Australia. The people in these countries are warm and friendly in the majority. All countries have their own uniqueness though.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 AM

2,597 posts, read 3,179,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It's most probably neither. I don't think many places can be classified as Germanic or Latin unless they are actually primarily those cultures like Germany or Spain.
Well, "germanic" doesn't relates more to Germany then to the other germanic-speaking countries. This is the fact that in English "Deutschland" is called "Germany" that might led to this idea. Germany is just one germanic countries among other and certainly not the absolute reference of Germanicness. The origin os "germanicness" is southern Scandinavia, not Germany.

The same way, "latin" doesn't especially refers to Spain... Spain has been latinized at one point of its history to be now a latin-speaking nation. the origin of latinity is obviously Rome, in Italy. Spain is latin by its language but everything from Spain is not neceserally "latin" (there are things in Spanish culture from Arabs, Berbers, Celts, Germanics tribes, Iberians, Basques, etc...) actually not more than things from France, Portugal or Italy.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 AM

2,459 posts, read 3,164,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Well, "germanic" doesn't relates more to Germany then to the other germanic-speaking countries. This is the fact that in English "Deutschland" is called "Germany" that might led to this idea. Germany is just one germanic countries among other and certainly not the absolute reference of Germanicness. The origin os "germanicness" is southern Scandinavia, not Germany.

The same way, "latin" doesn't especially refers to Spain... Spain has been latinized at one point of its history to be now a latin-speaking nation. the origin of latinity is obviously Rome, in Italy. Spain is latin by its language but everything from Spain is not neceserally "latin" (there are things in Spanish culture from Arabs, Berbers, Celts, Germanics tribes, Iberians, Basques, etc...) actually not more than things from France, Portugal or Italy.
I think "Germanic" is a an overused term so I agree with what you have said. How you have described Latin as per Spain would also be the same for countries like UK, Ireland etc as far as labelling them "Germanic". The main language might be Germanic but their cultures has many other sources.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 AM

2,597 posts, read 3,179,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I think "Germanic" is a an overused term so I agree with what you have said. How you have described Latin as per Spain would also be the same for countries like UK, Ireland etc as far as labelling them "Germanic". The main language might be Germanic but their cultures has many other sources.
Yes, words should be used for what they mean only.

I would label Spain latin the same way I would label the UK or Ireland as Germanic. We just have to not assume that belonging to one of those groups of cultures is supposed to mean be totally identical to the other cultures of that group. I feel it like families, in one family you have diverse individuals with their own personality and influences and in the same time a belonging to a more general group, with a "familial" identity.

"germanic", "latin", "slavic", "arabic", etc. are generic cultural matrix based. The cultural matrixes are shaped mainly by the use of a language, that is the main tool of carrying of a culture.

For exemple, old Irish culture used to be labelled as "celtic" because the language was celtic-based. It would be not correct to assume other things from this such as labelling everything coming from ireland as being automatically "celtic" just because the language use to be celtic at one point of its history (for exemple the so-called "celtic music" that is very en vogue today has almost nothing especially celtic; it is just medieval-style European music as it existed everywhere else in Europe), or being genetically decending from the Hallstatt or other romantis ideas.

Just the same way I find quite strange to label "latin music" all those moslty African-derived rythms from the Caribean Spanish speaking countries such as Cuba, Dominican republic, etc. while Italian music is mostly not considered "latin" by the big music stores and companies...

Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,309,622 times
This thread was about impressions interacting with locals when one travel, not exactly about culture or real heritages... By the way your discussions are interesting, it's OK.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 AM

321 posts, read 454,416 times
I think there might be a slight Latin influence in the states that border Mexico, but overall, especially on the East Coast, it seems much more Germanic like.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM

831 posts, read 2,172,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

You are wrong..

Germany is as germanic as comes, in character, looks, traditions etc.

The character and looks of people in the UK is quite different from the germanic countries.

Last edited by Traveler86; 09-06-2013 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM

541 posts, read 1,036,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
You are wrong..

Germany is as germanic as comes, in character, looks, traditions etc.

The character and looks of people in the UK is quite different from the germanic countries.
Another Traveler86 quality post. Unfortunately, nobody will approve.

What about the 30% of Germans who are of predominantly Slavic/Polish ancestry then? Not real Germans? For instance, most East German cities and regions have names of Slavic origin and even most people there feel culturally closer to the Polish or Czechs than to the Dutch, Danish or English.

Look at that article (in German) which states that only 6% of German men are of FULL Germanic origin whereas 30% are of clearly Slavic stock. Germany isn't limited to homogenous and sparsely populated areas of Lower Saxony or Schleswig-Holstein which are Germanic "heartland".

Gentest : Nur wenige Deutsche sind echte Germanen - Nachrichten Wissenschaft - DIE WELT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World