Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 05:58 AM

426 posts, read 393,933 times

Advertisements

No, not at all. I have been to NY and London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 AM

Have you ever been to NY?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
No, not at all. I have been to NY and London.
I have, and the people walking the streets there looked identical to the people walking the streets of London, who looked identical to the people walking the streets of Paris when I was there too.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:06 AM

33 posts, read 37,703 times
I've noticed for a while now this trend on some British to want the US to be as close to England as it possibly can, it's as if they want the world to think USA=England but on the Americas!

Americans don't really see themselves as Germanic Europeans or Latin Europeans. Americans see themselves as Americans and as diverse. So my vote is for other.

If you travel across the USA you will notice so much diversity that it's almost insulting to simplify the complex diversity of the USA as Germanic or Latin.

Alaska for example has a huge Native indigenous heritage, plus Russian history. (how is that Germanic?)

New Mexico is very Native American, so is Arizona, Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas. (How is that Germanic?)

Hawaii has an enormous Asian influence. (how is that Germanic?)

Texas is very interconnected culturally with neighboring Mexico and even though there are many German descendants in the state, I wouldn't say Texas is culturally a Germanic place, that would be ignoring Texan food, cowboy culture which comes from Mexico and so on!

How is Los Angeles Germanic? Or Miami? New Orleans with its cajun food and French heritage, how is that Germanic?

How is the African influence on the American south, the African influence in American music Germanic?

The USA is other!

If you visit the USA from Europe it's very obvious you're no longer in Europe, you can tell you're in the Americas and in the New World. You also feel that in Australia, Canada, South America and even South Africa.

There are some states in the US that have strong Germanic links (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin), but that is just part of the diversity of the country.

If you want to see Germanic, I am afraid you better go to Sweden or Germany!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Easthome

New York is inhabited by people that do not exist in Europe.
Those "Italo-Americans" do not exist here, those Jewish-Americans do not exist here.
Those Irish-Americans do not exist here.
They might have a distant relationship with the old continent, but they are like Japanese-Americans... they don't look Japanese at all.
Those African-Americans do not exist here.
Etc.

Last edited by Krokodill; 02-12-2016 at 04:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 11:51 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950's-americana View Post
I've noticed for a while now this trend on some British to want the US to be as close to England as it possibly can, it's as if they want the world to think USA=England but on the Americas!
Believe me no Brit wants America do be British. We thank our lucky stars we're not like Americans, although there are elements of American culture we admire such as music history and the go-getter attitude. The less desirable parts of the "American mentality" we're happy to distance ourselves from.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Easthome

New York is inhabited by people that do not exist in Europe.
Those "Italo-Americans" do not exist here, those Jewish-Americans do not exist here.
Those Irish-Americans do not exist here.
They might have a distant relationship with the old continent, but they are like Japanese-Americans... they don't look Japanese at all.
Those African-Americans do not exist here.
Etc.
Really? Like who exactly?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:48 AM

33 posts, read 37,703 times
Come on mate, give it a rest

London is unique, has a very unique history, culture and londoners have unique traits that makes them londoners

NYC is another completely different thing, also special, unique and very different

I don't know where you got this idea that london and NYC are so similar is interchangeable. (they are not that similar)

Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 AM

471 posts, read 620,893 times
This country is very mestizo.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950's-americana View Post
Come on mate, give it a rest

London is unique, has a very unique history, culture and londoners have unique traits that makes them londoners

NYC is another completely different thing, also special, unique and very different

I don't know where you got this idea that london and NYC are so similar is interchangeable. (they are not that similar)

I am sorry but what does this have to do with the way people physically 'look'? If people walking the streets in New York somehow look completely different to the people walking the streets of London I would like to know how EXACTLY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World