Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:21 AM

33 posts, read 37,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am sorry but what does this have to do with the way people physically 'look'? If people walking the streets in New York somehow look completely different to the people walking the streets of London I would like to know how EXACTLY?
hmmmm because Londonders DO look different from Americans!

NYC doesn't have the same composition ethnically as London, it's very different.

As far as physically being similar or not. Nyers and londoners are similar in that they are people living in diverse big cities, but they are vastly different in culture, way of life.

I don't know why you want American to be just like the Uk, it's not! America is very different from anything in the UK. America is really multicultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I have, and the people walking the streets there looked identical to the people walking the streets of London, who looked identical to the people walking the streets of Paris when I was there too.
And the people in Paris look identical to the people in Capetown and the people in Capetown look identical to the people in Mexico city.

People are just people. I fail to see this concept of sameness you want to throw over London and NYC. (They are really different with different vibes and urban cultures.) Which is great because the world is ok with just one London!

Old 02-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Of course they look different. White Europeans are far more heterogeneous in looks. Poles and Frenchmen don't look at all like each other. Americans are far more mixed up.
I agree, Europeans are very obvious in the US

I went with my European friend to South Carolina and it was extremely obvious to everyone that he was a foreigner, his dress, mannerisms, attitude, facial features just look very different from the local South Carolina whites. Our hosts who were white Americans even commented on the fact that he look so different from everyone which is why people would look at him often.

American whites look more mixed, more exotic in way, with rounder features. While Europeans have stronger sharper facial features.

the same applies to American blacks who look nothing like actual West Africans, you can tell them apart immediately!

Old 02-15-2016, 07:35 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,680,894 times
This notion that Europeans are obvious in the US just by the way they look is so mind-boggling to me. Maybe if you talk about accents, mannerisms and dress we can get somewhere but based purely on facial features sounds so far-fetched to me.

What's so different about these people? Can you really tell me whose British and whose American based on facial features alone?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 3,680,894 times
Even South Americans aren't that distinct from Europeans & North Americans apart from a portion of distinct native-mix looks.

This 2005 advert for a Colombian soda illustrates that:

Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 AM

Yawns....

Old 02-15-2016, 09:43 PM

207 posts, read 492,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Maybe this thread can sound a bit stupid but I explain why I ask this question. It is more about personalities.

USA is supposed to have a "germanic culture" I write into commas because maybe cultures are mixed there, but I was thinking about the English heritage. I don't talk about features and people ethnics because I couldn't say "this person is American" just tooking at them lol.

Before travelling to USA for first time in 2011 I always expected that people (yeah, this thread is more about people) would be more like germanic Europe, I mean by personality, serious, colder, indoor people etc. I expected Americans to be more like British, Swedes, Irish etc.

But I was surprised that I found them more like latin european people: easygoing, warm, enjoying moments, and people who love enjoying moments without forgetting serious things of life of course, people like Italians, French, Spaniards Portuguese etc.

Later in 2011 I travelled to other State and I had the same feeling, yeah, people are more like us. I mean, I am from Spain and I find Americans to be more like me than British for example.

My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??

European people who know Americans can vote of course.

Shouldn't this thread be in the General U.S. forums since it pertains to the United States? Just asking.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,917,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950's-americana View Post
I agree, Europeans are very obvious in the US

I went with my European friend to South Carolina and it was extremely obvious to everyone that he was a foreigner, his dress, mannerisms, attitude, facial features just look very different from the local South Carolina whites. Our hosts who were white Americans even commented on the fact that he look so different from everyone which is why people would look at him often.

American whites look more mixed, more exotic in way, with rounder features. While Europeans have stronger sharper facial features.

the same applies to American blacks who look nothing like actual West Africans, you can tell them apart immediately!
This is such a load of bollox, if its so 'obvious' that facial features look 'very different' tell me in what way EXACTLY are Europeans 'different' looking to South Carolina whites? Its total rubbish.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:23 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,917,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
This notion that Europeans are obvious in the US just by the way they look is so mind-boggling to me. Maybe if you talk about accents, mannerisms and dress we can get somewhere but based purely on facial features sounds so far-fetched to me.

What's so different about these people? Can you really tell me whose British and whose American based on facial features alone?

This EXACTLY. It beggars belief that in the 21st century people are still spouting such nonsense, I would like to know what it is that is supposed to be so 'different' about the people you pictured, I would like to know how we are supposed to tell apart the Americans from the Europeans? I would like to know what it is for example that makes Idris Elba so obviously an Englishman and not an 'African American' (nonsense term alone), and why it is that so many people assumed he was American when he was a character on the wire? Did he have to 'Americanize' his looks somehow? Oh and how come they have Will Smith playing a Nigerian doctor in his latest film? Shouldn't they have at least got somebody who looks Nigerian! Ridiculous.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:37 AM

503 posts, read 650,984 times
Quote:
This EXACTLY. It beggars belief that in the 21st century people are still spouting such nonsense, I would like to know what it is that is supposed to be so 'different' about the people you pictured, I would like to know how we are supposed to tell apart the Americans from the Europeans? I would like to know what it is for example that makes Idris Elba so obviously an Englishman and not an 'African American' (nonsense term alone), and why it is that so many people assumed he was American when he was a character on the wire? Did he have to 'Americanize' his looks somehow? Oh and how come they have Will Smith playing a Nigerian doctor in his latest film? Shouldn't they have at least got somebody who looks Nigerian! Ridiculous.

about Idris Elba... It was such a surprise when I watched an interview and he was speaking with such British accent!! I assumed he was American (and actually from Baltimore) after watching the Wire... I don't know if he Americanized his looks, but I guess he had to work his a** off to get such a perfect Baltimore accent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World