Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Where in the US did you go? I think even though they're equally American New Yorkers will be very different to Minnesotans. A lot of Latin influence there, both Italians, Puerto Ricans.etc, and Jews also have a similar sort of temperament. If you went to Minneapolis things might be different.
Love when people talk about us Latin Americans and southern Europeans and our "temperament" lol. Like we're some guinea pigs or pet lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:45 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,293 times
Most Americans are from European descent.... There is way more European/Germanic culture and influence than Latin except in few parts of the nation

Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??
I'm American and i don't have anything in common with any of those people....

Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm American and i don't have anything in common with any of those people....
I'm not sure its possible to live in Minnesota and not have at least some connection to German and Scandinavian immigrant culture.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I'm not sure its possible to live in Minnesota and not have at least some connection to German and Scandinavian immigrant culture.
Just like me. I'm Black American and until 3 weeks ago, lived in California my whole life so I have a connection to some Mexican culture even though I am not Mexican at all.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I fear many people here tend to confuse "culture" with "personality" or "character".

I do not think that the fact that many people seem to be extraverted in the USA makes them of a latin culture. I've heard that Danish people are said to be famous for their extraversion, they keept are typically northern European and quintessentially Germanic. Many people from latin cultures are not neceserally that much extraverted. Also there are variations, I never felt the Spanish to be as extraverted the way many Italians are, that doesn't makes them less latin. The serious, tragicness (even somehow rigid in the case of Castillan personality) about "spanish personality" does not make them less "latin".

What exist in latin culture vs germanic ones is a more physical approach in social contacts, less physical distance, lots of kissing attitudes, etc. and maybe on average a more "family" attitude (maybe due to the catholic context, while Protestant cultures seem more individualistic (well there might even be exceptions). Also the relation to money and business activities seem to be different. On those aspects the USA seem to me very un-latin.
this post is very good and i think it sums it up perfectly

Its very true what you say about physical contact. The other day in a linguistic class we were talking about the personal space limits in different socities, and the teacher put out society (argentina) and confronted it with the personal space in USA. Of course the limits of personal space are wider in USA. So if an American came here he might find people here, for example, get too close to eachother to talk, stand too close to eachother, etc.
Dont even get me started on the kissing, i lived in USA and i know people dont kiss there everytime they enter a place. Here, everytime you get to a place you kiss people in the cheek. Yeah, everytime. Even if you go to a birthday reunion and there are 15 people there . You have to kiss each and everyone in the cheek cause thats how the culture is here.
And the showing of affection is much more open here, its very normal to be kissing (in the mouth i mean) your SO in the streets, in a cafe, in a bar, in movies, you name it. Public display of affection is expected and normal here.

This isnt better or worse than how more formal they are in USA. Is just how it is. Living there, i found that if they came here and experience this Latin behaviour, they will be shocked.

Actually, an american friend came here shorter after i was there (when we were both 18) and she was disgusted at how guys looked at her in the street. She felt threathened or scared and it was very hard to explain to her thats just normal behaviour here. Every girl get looks everytime they go out. Actually, she should have consider herself lucky that they werent telling her "piropo", wich is guys mumbling sometimes nice, sometimes dirty stuff, to EVERY girl that walks by. This is the norm here.

The other day i was eating an ice cream while walking on the street and got all kind of dirty remarks from guys. This Latin personality can suck sometimes.

I think many of the interactions that are normal in Buenos Aires, would be considered assault in many other places of the world, like USA.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Whenever I see someone eating an ice cream on the street, my first thought is that I should get an ice cream too.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:25 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Dont even get me started on the kissing, i lived in USA and i know people dont kiss there everytime they enter a place. Here, everytime you get to a place you kiss people in the cheek. Yeah, everytime. Even if you go to a birthday reunion and there are 15 people there . You have to kiss each and everyone in the cheek cause thats how the culture is here.
Hehe, the kissing things is more common here than in USA but... don't overexaggerate, Sophie. There are many situations when you're not expected to kiss someone in the cheek when getting into a place: getting in the bus, the train, shops, bank, and so on. What you are saying is restricted to social gatherings among friends or friends of friends (it could be sometimes in working environments), and even in those situations some people don't kiss in the cheek. Although kissing in the cheek is the norm, yes.

Quote:
an american friend came here shorter after i was there (when we were both 18) and she was disgusted at how guys looked at her in the street. She felt threathened or scared and it was very hard to explain to her thats just normal behaviour here. Every girl get looks everytime they go out. Actually, she should have consider herself lucky that they werent telling her "piropo", wich is guys mumbling sometimes nice, sometimes dirty stuff, to EVERY girl that walks by. This is the norm here.
I would say it like this: Here guys in the street tend to compliment women more often than in other countries, but... that doesn't mean that every (not even most) guys do this. I'm a guy and don't do this BTW.

Quote:
The other day i was eating an ice cream while walking on the street and got all kind of dirty remarks from guys. This Latin personality can suck sometimes.
Where were you walking really? Did you get looks or remarks? That isn't Latin personality, it's just tacky men that are everywhere, haha. But this doesn't happen so often to any girl in Buenos Aires, don't you agree?

Quote:
I think many of the interactions that are normal in Buenos Aires, would be considered assault in many other places of the world, like USA.
A bit over the top.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
No, i dont agree.

It is expected, for a woman in BA, to get this looks or remarks EVERY TIME they are out. You probably dont see it cause you are a guy and you obviously dont get it.
I didnt mean to say that every men do it, i say that every girl gets it, wich is a completely different thing.

we should ask girl this. Actually, there are even feminist movements to stop this and its a very popular topic of discussion in society. Would you say piropo is not something typical of our culture?

Even malena pichot in cualca did a parody of how we girls get this kind of thing all the time:

Cualca: Piropos - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
No, i dont agree.

It is expected, for a woman in BA, to get this looks or remarks EVERY TIME they are out. You probably dont see it cause you are a guy and you obviously dont get it.
I didnt mean to say that every men do it, i say that every girl gets it, wich is a completely different thing.

we should ask girl this. Actually, there are even feminist movements to stop this and its a very popular topic of discussion in society. Would you say piropo is not something typical of our culture?

Even malena pichot in cualca did a parody of how we girls get this kind of thing all the time:

Cualca: Piropos - YouTube
Well one thing that isn't so different; seems like men, regardless of the society are not able to see things from the female perspective.

Some years back in San Diego, I had an Argentine friend. When she would see me, should would often kiss me on the cheek. One day she told me that if I were ever uncomfortable with it, to let her know. A guy doing it to me would be a different matter. I know in many Latin cultures men to this to other men as well. Italians and I believe French do it. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. Mexicans don't seem to do this from what I can tell but, they are much more physically affectionate in other ways it seems. I think this is what makes to the USA a much more Germanic culture overall. Americans for the most part are affectionate only when in a romantic situation or drunk. OK, that's a broad brush stereotype but those of you smarter than a third grader get my point. Personally, I tend to be very reserved before I know a person but once comfortable with them, I can be every bit as affectionate. Probably explains why most of my friends have been Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World