U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 86 66.15%
Latin Europeans 15 11.54%
Other (specify) 29 22.31%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times
Reputation: 1083

Advertisements

Maybe this thread can sound a bit stupid but I explain why I ask this question. It is more about personalities.

USA is supposed to have a "germanic culture" I write into commas because maybe cultures are mixed there, but I was thinking about the English heritage. I don't talk about features and people ethnics because I couldn't say "this person is American" just tooking at them lol.

Before travelling to USA for first time in 2011 I always expected that people (yeah, this thread is more about people) would be more like germanic Europe, I mean by personality, serious, colder, indoor people etc. I expected Americans to be more like British, Swedes, Irish etc.

But I was surprised that I found them more like latin european people: easygoing, warm, enjoying moments, and people who love enjoying moments without forgetting serious things of life of course, people like Italians, French, Spaniards Portuguese etc.

Later in 2011 I travelled to other State and I had the same feeling, yeah, people are more like us. I mean, I am from Spain and I find Americans to be more like me than British for example.

My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??

European people who know Americans can vote of course.

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,359 posts, read 10,635,552 times
Reputation: 3812
To some extent I think it matters where you go, after all America is a big country. I've found distinctive differences by region, state, and area.

For instance I didn't realize quite how Irish the area of upstate NY I am from was till I got to Florida. Virtually everyone I grew up with there with only few exceptions had an Irish name. There was an element of English with lots of old heritage families and French being so close to Canada. In Pennsylvania the culture has a flavor of German heritage and personality which is different, more staid. The same for other states. It depends on who has settled where.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,510,732 times
Reputation: 11103
The OP is already so infested with old stereotypes, I don't know if this thread is gonna be something at all.

What on earth is 'Germanic Europe'? Is it everything north of the Alps?

If I wanted to be rude, I'd say that the Americans are more like Northern Europeans, as they actually like to work, take responsibility and keep their promises, unlike Spaniards and Portuguese...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 4710'N 025'E
2,872 posts, read 3,785,705 times
Reputation: 1863
I don't know what you mean by "people". If it mean something how do people look or act I don't think it is possible to make any generalisation because of the multiples "ethnic" communities that share this territory. The major contributing country of US population was Germany. But the US mainstream culture is in my opinion still very Anglo-rooted, hence germanic. The language, the dominant religion is protestantism, many "typical American" foods are still British, as well as the traditional American architectural styles are often Derived from Anglish styles. There is a much more serious attitude to law and rules than in many latin countries. The American culture is also very work and business oriented.

That said, the whole country new and quickly changing with growing minorities (especially with the growing latin American population).

Last edited by french user; 08-22-2013 at 04:26 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times
Reputation: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The OP is already so infested with old stereotypes, I don't know if this thread is gonna be something at all.

What on earth is 'Germanic Europe'? Is it everything north of the Alps?

If I wanted to be rude, I'd say that the Americans are more like Northern Europeans, as they actually like to work, take responsibility and keep their promises, unlike Spaniards and Portuguese...
Who is the one infested?? Oh yes we hate working, we live with other's money
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:23 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Maybe this thread can sound a bit stupid but I explain why I ask this question. It is more about personalities.

USA is supposed to have a "germanic culture" I write into commas because maybe cultures are mixed there, but I was thinking about the English heritage. I don't talk about features and people ethnics because I couldn't say "this person is American" just tooking at them lol.

Before travelling to USA for first time in 2011 I always expected that people (yeah, this thread is more about people) would be more like germanic Europe, I mean by personality, serious, colder, indoor people etc. I expected Americans to be more like British, Swedes, Irish etc.

But I was surprised that I found them more like latin european people: easygoing, warm, enjoying moments, and people who love enjoying moments without forgetting serious things of life of course, people like Italians, French, Spaniards Portuguese etc.

Later in 2011 I travelled to other State and I had the same feeling, yeah, people are more like us. I mean, I am from Spain and I find Americans to be more like me than British for example.

My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??

European people who know Americans can vote of course.

I'm sorry but your post is full of nothing but stereotypes - I am not 'cold', I am an 'outdoor' person and believe me I like 'enjoying moments'!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
Reputation: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
The major contributing country of US population was Germany. But the US mainstream culture is in my opinion still very Anglo-rooted, hence germanic. The language, the dominant religion is protestantism, many "typical American" foods are still British, as well as the traditional American architectural styles are often derived from Anglish styles. That said, the whole country new and quickly changing with growing minorities (especially with the growing Latin American population).
I viewed the OP's questions in terms of institutions and attitudes, e.g. common law, but more crucially the rule of law in general, and also a certain tendency not to forgive, much unlike Latin Europe especially, such as the death penalty and three strikes you're out (life imprisonment after three felonies), also revenge in war such as the nuclear bombing of Japan, the second invasion of Iraq and deposition of a personal enemy, and even in everyday things such as gridded and numbered street patterns, wide lanes, specific lanes for turning and going straight ahead, etc.

That said, I also share french user's view of how the US is changing, and the erosion of the rule of law: e.g. a blind eye to illegal immigration, which is really a sucker punch in the eye for those brought up taught to respect it, but also pernicious group politics in general on the grand scale, the flouting of basic traffic rules like turn signals, no blocking the intersection, etc. on a smaller, but no less significant, scale.

In that sense the US is becoming more like the rest of the world. i.e. Latin America, Arabia and China, while the influence of Europe, especially Latin Europe, wanes in the shadows of time in comparison.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post

My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??

European people who know Americans can vote of course.

To answer the OP's question, as with many other questions in life, it is rarely an either/or question, but both/and: as someone who grew up in "germanic" US, with its English-based institutions and "protestant" attitudes on the one hand, but with a Latin European background and years of first-hand experience on the other, I identify with both about equally, maybe a bit more or less with one or the other depending on what is more important in varying phases of life.

But, sadly or not, for better or worse, that framework of comparison is becoming narrower and less significant in the face of globalization and how it is changing institutions and attitudes in the US, and Europe as well I suppose.

Good Luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 4710'N 025'E
2,872 posts, read 3,785,705 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What on earth is 'Germanic Europe'? Is it everything north of the Alps?
Germanic-speaking Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Europe
1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times
Reputation: 1083
Thanks for the link french user.

This thread is a question about experiences of travellers or whoever, the question is based in my personal experience and I want to know other's. People don't be dramatic, if someone doesn't like it just forget the thread, always respecting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 04:37 AM
 
6,774 posts, read 7,485,434 times
Reputation: 4196
the usa most certainly does not have a latin mindset

im not saying that's a good or bad thing btw
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top