Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it possible to stop being an outsider in a foreign country or not?
Yes, but it takes a lot of receptiveness and willingness 16 76.19%
No, forget it! no matter how hard you try an outsider will be always an outsider 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times

Advertisements

The question here is the following, I've read posts of expats who live in other countries and state that they will be always outsiders, so the question is, can you become from that country? be considered a native of her?

what are your thoughts?

I belive it's possible, but it takes a lot of receptiveness and willingness, it depends on the country too, I believe this based on my own experience in Brazil, a country where I spend lots of time, it took me awhile but I learnt to speak like a native and, having a huge amount of friends here I became more and more brazilian, to the point that people who doesn't know I'm from Mexico would never imagine I'm a foreigner, the coolest thing about this is that I didn't stop being mexican, I just return to my country and merge, but if I go to Brazil I can merge too and be brazilian

Maybe it is possible also because this is a very receptive country, very open to foreigners because it's a country of immigrants, and also because it's a huge country with thousands of accents, or to explain it better custom versions of portuguese for every region, so it's easy for people to assume that you are from other state instead of foreigner, people from all the races live here, so that might help too, I guess that if I were to japan for example it would be harder.

maybe these are the reasons.

I'd have to try it in another country to see how it works out but imho it is possible.

what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i have never been able to to do it.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I lived in another country for quite a few years. The first year was a difficult adjustment but by the time I left it almost felt as if I was leaving home. When I returned to the States, I worked with many foreign born pre- and post-doctoral students and we often discussed what it means to live outside one's country.

We collectively decided that to stay in a country for more than two years might make it more difficult to return home; it appeared that only the one to two year students easily returned to their home land. Today of those students, all of whom are now professionals, more than 60% remained in the United States. And after 30 years, I still miss my adopted home-land, still speak the language and still dream of fresh, raw herring.

However, upon reflection, the two greatest challenges when I lived abroad was (a) language and (b) culture. I was already modestly familiar with the culture so that wanned quickly and after the 1st year I could speak without too much difficulty.

Also, in my case, I was very fortunate to have the most wonderful friends, all of whom were supportive, instructive and welcoming.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Many decades ago when I was a teenager, I went to high school in Chile. I spoke Spanish before going there, and after a while my Spanish blended into a similar accent as the locals along with a lot of the local slang. I didn't speak English at all the tyear or so I lived there. Although the people I went to school with knew I was from the US, after a while it wasn't a big deal to anybody and I felt as comfortable there as I ever was in the USA. Didn't feel like an outcast or a stranger.

Like Travelling Fella, I've been to Brazil too although I have not spent near the amount of time he has there. It's one of my favorite places in the world, and I want to learn Brazilian Portugese. I'm going to retire in a few years and that's on my short list of places that I'd like to spend a lot of time in. Not the crime ridden mega cities like Rio or SP. I like the mild climate of southern Brazil in Parana, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul. People are generally very friendly, and Travelling Fella has exactly nailed what Brazil has in common with the USA - both countries are very big geographically, have very diverse populations of all races, colors and backgrounds, all sorts of accents. Even if you are not originally from there, there are so many millions of other people there who were not born there or whose parents were not born there, it's not a big deal. The country is so big that regional accents are common and it means there is variety in the way people speak, so even if you don't speak the language perfectly, people are not going to make a big deal about it. There are not many other places like that.

If a person has the ability to learn other languages, I think it's possible to a point to blend in to certain other countries but there are limits depending on ones ethnic and religious background. I doubt if I could move to most Islamic countries and "blend in" real easily. Same would apply to many Asian countries or African countries.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM

115 posts, read 471,427 times
I am originally from Germany but don't feel like an outsider in the States

Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
I'd say it depends where you go. I've heard that island nations, i.e. Iceland, Japan, etc., tend to be insular and never quite regard outsiders as "their own." In European countries I hear mixed results of immigrants feeling completely or not at all accepted. Some countries never quite accept immigrants as their own, but others are evidently quite accepting and foster paths to full membership in their societies.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,499 times
lol Good question !

IT depends where you go. As a french if I go to Belgium I'm pretty sure that in one or two days! I'll be like a belgian guy !

but If I go to London I always be an outsider ! I don't mind ! It's fun to be seen in this way !

Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I would think language has a lot to do with it. And yes, settling into a small town in Sicily might be different from life in the heart of Berlin. One culture might be more easy to embrace than another.
From what I hear, some locations in Asia can be a difficult adjustment.

My British sister in law has lived in the States for many, many years and still has the accent but is very assimilated indeed.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:44 AM

122 posts, read 347,102 times
I think it depends a lot on where you are from, where you are, and how you are. Possible, if you try, but not in all cases.

I was born in the UK. Moved to USA when I was 9. Have lived here all my life, except for traveling around the world seven times, but that's another story. Anyway, educated here, served in the US military, served in a high government position, well-regarded, etc. AND I still feel like an outsider. Worse, when I go back to England, I feel like an outsider there to. But I think this situation is about me, and how I feel inside. Not about being accepted here or there. I am accepted here, and I am perceived to be VERY assimilated.

If someone were to ask me, am I an American? The obvious answer would be yes, but I would want to say, no, I am human. Do I value being an American? Yes, very much. But still I feel more like I am human, and not worried about distinctions between Americans and other people.

Oh, and I am using the word "American" as most folks in the USA would, wrongly, without their realizing that "America" is really the whole western hemisphere. Gosh, even the expression "United States" is wrong, because there are other "United States" than just US of A. But I digress, sorry.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:47 AM

122 posts, read 347,102 times
Sorry, perhaps I should explain WHY I feel like an outsider. It really has nothing to do with where I came from or where I live. It has to do with values. I am NS, ND, vegetarian, with strong ethics and a spiritual focus. THAT is what makes me feel like an outsider, because I rarely encounter people who share my values and focus. I still love people, who don't share my values or focus, but it would be nice to be around people I can really connect with.

Oh, and p.s. I didn't vote in the poll because I don't think there is a yes or no answer that is what I believe. I am somewhere in betweem, so a "maybe" would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World