Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most powerful continent?
Africa 4 2.34%
Asia 44 25.73%
Europe 48 28.07%
N America 72 42.11%
S America 3 1.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM

318 posts, read 625,554 times

Advertisements

Europe.

Most countries in North America are irrelevant. Not all, but most while Europe has a higher number of powerful countries. Not on the scale of US powerful, but the EU itself is pretty powerful. Asia is on the rise too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
North America.

Hitler under-estimated NA to his ultimate doom.

When North America wants to pour on the juice, watch out
I whole heartedly agree with this. Canada and America are industrial powerhouses. Granted, when WWII was happening, "Fortress America" was a real thing, and we could produce arms and ships, and planes and tanks, and Jeeps and whatever the hell else we wanted on short order. Oceans don't protect so well anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohsocool View Post
Europe.

Most countries in North America are irrelevant. Not all, but most while Europe has a higher number of powerful countries. Not on the scale of US powerful, but the EU itself is pretty powerful. Asia is on the rise too.

What kind of comment is this? lol Just say, "Canada and Mexico are irrelevent". Stop beating around the bush.

I will add though, while Canada doesn't have the largest military out there, its soldiers, and its population, are nothing to be screwed around with. When we want to ramp **** up, we do it, and we don't screw around.

Ask ANYONE you know who has fought beside our soldiers. They will agree, hands down.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 AM

302 posts, read 868,323 times
As I mentioned before there are several different models. You can say that there are anywhere from four to seven continents.

I prefer the six continent model (Africa, Eurasia, North America, South America, Antarctica, Australia). Europe is not a continent, it is a peninsula of the Eurasian continent. Continents are separated by water not mountains.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,193 times
Europe. A continent that consists almost entirely of developed countries with a high economic output. Culturally the most influencial continent as well I would say. The combined military power of all of Europe shouldn't be underestimated either. Europeans just had a lot of experience with wars which is why they are much more reluctant to make use of it. They have learned from their mistakes. Which I personally consider much more admirable than just running over some third-world countries to prove how strong the military is/how big my d*ck is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
If my opinion helps: when I was at school I studied that America is only one continent, not only as a child, also in my last years or high school, separate them is new for me.
Same here. North America and South America are sub-regions of the continent of America. That's what I was taught in high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
North America. If Europe ever gets itself out of its economic slump it has the potential to be number one again.
Meh, I don't think the economic situation in North America is anything to write home about, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post

It took the US south about a century to recover from that war, even a bit longer, while in Europe the wounds are still bleeding.
What wounds exactly are still bleeding?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 AM

595 posts, read 719,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Same here. North America and South America are sub-regions of the continent of America. That's what I was taught in high school.
Same in Spain, in fact, if someone says he's going to America, is more likely to refer he's going to Mexico, Venezuela or Argentina than the USA.

And regarding to the most powerful continent, IMHO America.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:35 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post
Same in Spain, in fact, if someone says he's going to America, is more likely to refer he's going to Mexico, Venezuela or Argentina than the USA.

And regarding to the most powerful continent, IMHO America.
Interesting, it's probably a more Latin-centric thing. To the rest of the world 'America' means the USA.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

What kind of comment is this? lol Just say, "Canada and Mexico are irrelevent". Stop beating around the bush.

I will add though, while Canada doesn't have the largest military out there, its soldiers, and its population, are nothing to be screwed around with. When we want to ramp **** up, we do it, and we don't screw around.

Ask ANYONE you know who has fought beside our soldiers. They will agree, hands down.
Not only that - Canada's Uranium was a big factor in the development of the American Nuclear arsenal.. The countries are so intertwined economically and militarily it is ridiculous to even separate the two..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not only that - Canada's Uranium was a big factor in the development of the American Nuclear arsenal.. The countries are so intertwined economically and militarily it is ridiculous to even separate the two..

Ever wonder how America would react if we decided to develop nukes of our own? lol

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
It really depends on the 'factors' for most powerful but

Economically

Asia > Europe > N.A > S.A > Africa > Australia - I agree that since Australia as a continent is a collection of only a handful of countries it really isn't fair.

Militarily

Europe (including Russia) - North America not including Russia followed by Asia > SA > Africa and Australia is a toss up to me as Australia is a pretty potent middle power with good technology and resources.

Culturally i'd say

Asia > Europe > N.A > S.A > Africa > Australia

Its ridiculous to include N.A and S.A as one continent - they aren't they both comprise the Western Hemisphere.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:43 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
What wounds exactly are still bleeding?
I don't know where you are from, but Eastern Europe still hasn't recovered from WW2 and the Cold War
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World