Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,695,954 times

Advertisements

Alizee - I love two of her songs the most, "I'm Fed Up" <- english and french versions. Just bought the Maxi cd from amazon today but I don't know if the used cd comes from Germany or the USA. But amazon listed a brand new version of the cd and it was selling for $3773.27 from the UK! See: Amazon.com: J'en ai marre - I'm fed up [MAXI-CD]: Music

Read the description of one of her cds: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...11&style=music

Look up the youtube videos of: "I'm Fed UP" and J'en Ai Marre!

It's funny how there are big international music stars in other countries and their music is hardly known in the USA! Do you know of any other good music from other countries! Tell us about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Hottest French Singer is Hardly Known in America...-alizee-4.jpg   Hottest French Singer is Hardly Known in America...-alizee-2.jpg   Hottest French Singer is Hardly Known in America...-alizee-5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
The hottest singers everywhere are never known in America. How many Americans have ever heard of Lata Mangeshkar, who for 60 years was the most popular singer in the world, recording over 25,000 songs in 20 languages.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou0B9T89L0g

Faye Wong is a huge star in China, both as a singer and film actress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61uVH...6BE4F9&index=3

And Mbelia Bel in Africa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtaKxgMoEmA

Americans are the most culturally ignorant and insulated people in the world.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-29-2013 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The hottest singers everywhere are never known in America. How many Americans have ever heard of Lata Mangeshkar, who for 60 years was the most popular singer in the world, recording over 25,000 songs in 20 languages.

Lata Mangeshkar - Jo Wada Kiya (Live Performance) - YouTube

Yeah its very hard to make it in America for singers and such, I mean now when you look on your iTunes chart in the UK or I don't know Australia you see half the songs made by Americans, but when it comes to the artists from another country its hard to get your music in America. We do have a thing for Latino artists though and English artists but that's it. Actually most Americans probably have heard that song but no one not even me in America knows who its by and I doubt any country really besides India and a couple other countries have really heard of this person. I really cannot stand it when people try and say Americans are stupid or ignorant for not knowing these things, on YouTube a guy asked people what the capital of Estonia was, and he was surprised no one knew it. Excuse my grammar...

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,217,994 times
I remember Alizee from that Moi...Lolita song way back in the day.

I know plenty of Dutch artists that deserve to be more famous abroad. We have a lot of great pop music, which is why I don't agree with people who say music nowadays sucks; that is only if you're completely insulated and not open to music from other countries (even if it's in English).

Some examples of current Dutch artists:

Racoon

^ Also check out Love You More, Don't Give Up The Fight, No Mercy, Laugh About It and Feel Like Flying

Alain Clark

^ Also check out This Ain't Gonna Work and Blow Me Away (filmed in NYC)

Caro Emerald

^ Also check out Riviera Life and That Man

There is so much good music out there nowadays, you just have to know where to look.

@ Jtur, I can assure you that 99% of Europeans have never heard of those artists you mentioned either. And I'm pretty sure people in India, Africa and China aren't familiar with major European artists who don't sing in English either.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 PM

3,394 posts, read 5,502,977 times
This is the most popular singer in Canada. We kiss his feet on the first of every february when the moon eclipses the CN Tower restaurant.

Shotgun Jimmie - Suzy (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 AM

36,885 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Lata Mangeshkar - Jo Wada Kiya (Live Performance) - YouTube

Faye Wong is a huge star in China, both as a singer and film actress:

Faye wong - YouTube

And Mbelia Bel in Africa

Boya ye - YouTube

Yep, pretty much. The US has the biggest media and entertainment industry and is likely the largest overall exporter. Unfortunately, that seems to also go hand in hand with the US being very unreceptive to media and entertainment from elsewhere.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
The sad part, it is almost impossible to find any non-American music on line. Live-streaming overseas radio, 99% of the stations are just playing the same junk that Sony is marketing to the US. Go to a music-feed website and the only genres they offer are American music, if you're lucky, they will have a "world beat" selection, which is the same US-pop Sony-digitized arrangements with vocals in foreign languages.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-30-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,644,012 times
A pop song not in English is the kiss of death in not only the U.S. and the anglosphere countries (UK, OZ, NZ, Anglo-Canada, etc.) but in much of the world as well.

What I find when travelling is that in much of the world the musical diet is made up of music in the national language + globalized pop music in English. Anything that does not fit in one of these two categories has little chance of breaking through. Through there is the odd exception in the non-anglo countries - Linda mentioned Alizée's Lolita which was in French but played in the Netherlands).

But it's becoming rarer and rarer. At least I think. You won't get any interest in the anglosphere unless it's an exceptional novelty song like Gangnam Style or La Macarena, La Lambada or even Sukiyaki or Dominique-nique-nique back in the day.

That's why many non-anglo artists like Shakira or Céline Dion have parallel careers in their own language and English, or sometimes sing only in English like ABBA, Ace of Base, Scorpions, etc.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 AM

14,613 posts, read 17,277,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Alizee - I love two of her songs the most, "I'm Fed Up" <- english and french versions.
A lot of popular culture is very controlled. People don't always know what they like, but if a song or TV show or film is unavoidable then it is adopted by many people. Look at how often a movie receives heavy hype, and sells a lot of tickets in the first three days, then people stop going because the film is terrible.

Without a machinery to push Alizee in America, you have to stumble on her via Youtube. Although you think that the visuals and the song would matter regardless of the language, Americans have a difficult time adopting to anything in large numbers that is not in English.

There are more Spanish speakers in USA than in Spain (or in any other country outside of Mexico), but only recently has Univision ever beaten NBC in sweeps week on TV. There are still no really popular films in Spanish, although almost every film made has Spanish subtitles or dubbing for children's films.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times
We have a pretty large music industry of our own.

Why does it matter if Americans don't like the same music you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World