Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:48 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,084,274 times

Advertisements

Baseball : not popular at all, but shown on pay tv
NBA: yes. Byrant, le bron , bogut on paytv - a few games I think
NFL: gaining interest - assisted by increased tv coverage and desperate sports fans after the completion of domestic football seasons. Most people I know who are into sports keep an eye on NFL but it's terribly slow compared to AFL.

FTA shows 1 or 2 NFL games a week (on a FTA sports dedicated channel)
Pay tv = about 5 games. I think MNF is live ( except its Tuesday AM here)
.... My brother is a big NFL fan- raiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:10 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,265,347 times
American football is a crap sport

Old 10-12-2013, 03:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,487,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I only follow hockey and keep an eye on minor leagues too.
You probably know way more about hockey teams in America than the average American does... Outside of the Northeast or Upper Midwest or a few other better hockey cities, Americans are often uninterested in hockey sadly. Or have a passing interest in it, but rarely know much about it. I love hockey, but it's hard in much of the US to even watch a lot of the games on TV as they're only on cable sports packages and rarely nationally shown.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,453,888 times
NHL is pretty much a Canadian league anyways.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:42 PM

654 posts, read 799,271 times
Baseball isn't at all, popular in the U.K.

American football is starting to pick up a little. My brother watches it alittle, I also know a few people who play the sport.

Basketball is the most popular one. But still, compared to football(soccer), is not very popular. It's shame aswell, becuase I love basketball. I remember back when I was in USA, I felt like I was in heaven, as I found lots of people who shared my interest of basketball.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM

183 posts, read 294,910 times
well baseball does exist
hockey more so they both have federations organised sports after all
basketball a popular sport as well as a prevalent one
average turk knows of american foot ball through popular culture as much as it permeates the zeitgeist and its respected as a contact sport more in the vein of gladiators in an arena than efficient use of area and speed management however the associations are not as grounded as you have guessed also hollywood does not produce any more good sport movies its more about the talk these days than sweaty piles of muscle going another inch but considering the cyclical nature and learning curve of the providers as well as ones being provided I am guessing thats about to change

Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,725,204 times
NBA is as popular in the Philippines as it is in the US, probably even more popular. All the other sports are kind of unknown.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:35 PM

355 posts, read 680,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I only follow hockey and keep an eye on minor leagues too.
Baseball and football is about as fun as watching paint dry.
They should schedule more afternoon games in the NHL :P I always ended up turning into a zombie for a few weeks of the year when they play for the Stanley Cup.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:38 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,921,706 times
Not as much as I'd like. Sunday afternoon US time is Monday morning Australian time. We went to a breakfast hosted by the Aust-American Assoc in Sydney for Superbowl 2010. It was great to catch up with other Saints fans in Sydney but it wasn't a huge turn-out. The biggest downer was going out after the Saints won. I heard about the amazing night in New Orleans that night - we got to walk out into a Sydney Monday morning which may as well have been on Mars. A few work colleagues congratulated me on winning, cos ya know, I did so much to help them.

(We don't have TV reception where we live now and have never had cable so I know nothing about general sports coverage on Aust TV).

Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,970,430 times
I dont follow it but I am open to know more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World