Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 102 31.29%
Asia 59 18.10%
Australia/Oceania 17 5.21%
North Amerca 106 32.52%
South America 45 13.80%
Africa 45 13.80%
Antarctica 15 4.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:44 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Very nice but Greenland is North America at a push. It actually is more connected to Denmark and Norway politically and pretty close to Iceland. Although the Arctic isn't a continent, personally Greenland would embody the Arctic for me rather than North America but please do continue.
Garbage, Greenland is absolutely part of North America. Much of North America is in the Arctic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
As much as I think Canada is beautiful, and as much as I love polar bears, I don't think they qualify for this specific thread.

You seem to prefer arctic/tundra/super cold landscapes Iaskwhy. I do too so I don't blame you, but South America's lack thereof of this climate in QUANTITY doesn't mean South America is any less beautiful. South America wins on having tropical areas that really don't exist in North America albeit a few areas (Panama and such). So think of the two Americas as reverse, one having more cold, the other having more warm.
Why not? I am going north to south that is why you have only seen cold landscapes so far.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:27 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Just as I thought, pretty but somewhat run of the mill (aside from the desert regions of the US and Greenland which is part of Denmark hence Europe.)

Old 10-03-2016, 07:54 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
We shouldn't be using national/artificial boundaries to define continents. Technically Hawaii is part of no continent as it acts independently from the other ones, and not part of North America despite being part of a nation in North America.

Hawaii, like Greenland, is fairly isolated from it's "mainland" country.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:34 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
I've always grown up thinking Greenland is the North Pole and Antartica the South Pole. I've always separated them as their own entities but as I said, I'm not completely against the idea of it being part of North America despite being part of Europe. At the same time I'm not entirely convinced of either.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:37 AM

70 posts, read 70,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
-Best looking cities:
-Best Mountains:
-Best beaches & coastlines:
-Best Deserts:
-Best rainforest/jungle:
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc):
-Most unique or unusual landscapes:
-Best looking cities: Europe hands down.
-Best Mountains: Asia and South America easily.
-Best beaches and coastlines: Hmmm this one is tricky. I personally love European coastlines, but there's beautiful beaches and coastlines in every continent. Australia, the Caribbean(in both North and South America) and Southeast Asia all have unreal beaches. But I'll go with Europe either way.
-Best Deserts: South America has really underrated desert scenery, such as the multi-colored lakes found all over the Atacama highlands or the Salar de Uyuni, especially after the short rainy period which creates a beautiful mirror-like landscape.
Best rainforest/jungle: South America, Africa and Asia all have stunning jungle scenery, but I'll say South America.
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions: Antarctica obviously. Northern Canada, Alaska, Patagonia and Greenland are all lovely though so it's a hard choice .
-Most unique or unusual landscapes: Tough choice but I'll say Asia. Africa also has some really unusual, underrated landscapes.

Last edited by Overcast93; 10-03-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-03-2016, 11:25 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Don't post pictures that aren't yours. Besides the copyright violation, it makes pages take forever to load. Further images wil be deleted or linked to.

Quote:
Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles.
http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Just as I thought, pretty but somewhat run of the mill (aside from the desert regions of the US and Greenland which is part of Denmark hence Europe.)
It's very interesting how you want to start redifining continents now. Greenland is absolutely 100% part of North America. Next are you want to tell me that French Guyana is part of Europe, haha. I posted pictures that mimic or beat nearly every one you have posted. You lost.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM

70 posts, read 70,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post

Between just North America and South America:

-Best Cities: NA
-Best Mountains: NA
-Best Beaches & Coastlines: NA
-Best Deserts: NA
-Best Rainforest/Jungle: SA
-Best Polar/Subpolar Regions: NA
-Most Unique or Unusual Landscapes: NA
I've been to several parts of the Rockies in both the US and Canada, and some parts of the Andes, mostly in Peru and Ecuador, and the Peruvian Andes in particular were by far the most stunning mountains I have ever seen, even when I look at pictures of other Mountains throughout the world. I don't see how NA would automatically win in all those categories either, since there's lots of beautiful sites in both of those continents. I personally agree with the cities and Polar/Subpolar categories going to NA but I would say the rest are a tough call. I would personally lean more towards SA in the mountains, jungle and especially the unusual/unique landscapes categories. I'd say the desert category is a tie since I love the deserts in both continents equally, places like the grand canyon and the colorful Atacama lakes or the mirror-like Salar de Uyuni make it a tough decision . In the end it's up to the taste of each person I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World