U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 90 32.26%
Asia 50 17.92%
Australia/Oceania 14 5.02%
North Amerca 89 31.90%
South America 41 14.70%
Africa 39 13.98%
Antarctica 15 5.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,306,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All continents are pretty much the same, with the same general features that can found practically everywhere in all of them.

Guess the continent: (If you actually want to try to guess them, don't put your mouse pointer on the picture.)

A--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...246.73,,0,-1.8

B--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,24.56,,0,9.13

C--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...335.31,,0,2.31

D--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...17.51,,0,-5.66

E--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...167.32,,0,2.36

F--
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,132.17,,0,2.7
Spoiler

A. Central Asia, near Russia Kazakh border.
B. Central North America, Missouri
C. Central South America, Rondonia, Brazil
D. Central Europe, Czech Republic
E. South Africa
F. Interior Australia, New South Wales
So you found similar and fairly non descript fields on each continent (how long did that take you?) to make a point that you think most of the topographical features are pretty much the same on each continent in size, scale, and beauty? So you can't distinguish the difference between the deserts of the Colorado Plateau and red rocks of Utah and say the Sahara Desert? Or a traditional European Capital and an Asian city skyline? Or cultural differences that have made there mark on the landscape? Does every continent have fresh water on the scale of the North American Great Lakes or the countless lakes in the Canadian Shield?

Yes most continents offer similar topographical ranges (with extreme differences of scale in between mind you) but if you think they are all the same without poignantly differentiating characteristics or features then you have a very narrow way of viewing the world. There are many superlatives and cultural, visual, and quantified features that set them apart.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-20-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,928,459 times
Europe if not so overpopulated, I mean nature here is the best (climate, vegetation, water sources etc). But in the actual conditions, I voted for South America. I tend to be focused on what is pleasantful and healthy, being visually attractive is not so much important imo.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,632,714 times
-Best looking cities: Europe by far, different styles, old ones, Middle age... charm everywhere I personally like them a lot.
-Best Mountains: No idea, maybe Americas.
-Best beaches & coastlines: Americas and Asia that white sand with clear white and palmtrees...
-Best Deserts: Africa.
-Best rainforest/jungle: No idea I haven't visited too much jungles.
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc): idem as before.
-Most unique or unusual landscapes: no idea.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:53 AM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
-Best looking cities:
North America or Australia: Clean, more green, not as compact. I can't stand cities outside USA Canada and Australia
-Best Mountains:
Asia. Himalayas
-Best beaches & coastlines:
South America or Africa
-Best Deserts:
Africa
-Best rainforest/jungle:
Africa
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc)
North America
-Most unique or unusual landscapes:
Africa
And then rate.....

-Best overall - Most beautiful continent.
Tell us why overall you think your singular choice is the best overall most beautiful continent.
Africa. Large, has pretty much everything, love desert landscapes,

My ranking:
Africa
Asia
North America
South America
Australia
Europe
Antartica

Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So you found similar and fairly non descript fields on each continent (how long did that take you?) to make a point that you think most of the topographical features are pretty much the same on each continent in size, scale, and beauty? So you can't distinguish the difference between the deserts of the Colorado Plateau and red rocks of Utah and say the Sahara Desert? Or a traditional European Capital and an Asian city skyline? Or cultural differences that have made there mark on the landscape? Does every continent have fresh water on the scale of the North American Great Lakes or the countless lakes in the Canadian Shield?

Yes most continents offer similar topographical ranges (with extreme differences of scale in between mind you) but if you think they are all the same without poignantly differentiating characteristics or features then you have a very narrow way of viewing the world. There are many superlatives and cultural, visual, and quantified features that set them apart.
I picked places at random in the middle of the continents, and that's what I got. That is what the surface of the planet looks like, unless you seek out something anomalous, like a mountain range or a desert or a jungle and most places are not any of those.

I could have gone and selected a mountain scene on each continent, and you still wouldn't have been able to tell them apart, because mountains look pretty much the same on all continents, too. So do deserts, and so do jungles and so do seashores.

I've spent at least a year on each of the five continents, and they aren't all that much different, even if you go out and look for things that make them different. A 12-hour bus ride is a 12=hour bus ride. On any continent, with effort, you can find somethin that is awesome and unique. But those things occupy 0.0001% of the continent, which is otherwise very ordinary looking.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I could have gone and selected a mountain scene on each continent, and you still wouldn't have been able to tell them apart, because mountains look pretty much the same on all continents, too. So do deserts, and so do jungles and so do seashores.

On any continent, with effort, you can find somethin that is awesome and unique. But those things occupy 0.0001% of the continent, which is otherwise very ordinary looking.
Yes I get it... the whole "yawn, been there done that" point of view. In my opinion that's just a very jaded viewpoint and we all see things differently and some of us have the capability of discerning more poignant differences in the landscapes. There are similarities but I appreciate the distinctions and can't really get my head around the cynical outlook or minimal estimate of uniqueness dismissing them all as the same. Seems sad to have such a dismissive and jaded viewpoint really.

Deserts alone, the saguaro covered hills in Arizona look a lot different than the red rock mesas of Southern Utah, the golden dunes of Libya, the copper landscapes of the Atacama, or Ayers Rock in Australia, not to mention the vast cultural differences imprinted on the landscapes of places like Egypt and Arabia.

The lofty peaks of the Himalayas are tremendously different from the coastal ranges of Patagonia. I do see a common look around the Pacific Ring of Fire from the Andes to the Cascades, Japan to New Zealand, but then there are of course different ranges of culture that add to the beauty spectrum and juxtapositions with meeting of different topographical features offer more distinctions .

Europe seems to be garnering love in the poll here, likely do to the cultural and architectural imprint on the landscape that make it unique and quite different from much of North America or Australia. In other words it looks different on that continent.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-20-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think this is silly and subjective but I'll have a crack:

-Best looking cities: Depends if you're a big skyline fan or not, but I'd also go with Europe. They just seem prettier at street-level, and I mean Europe still has a few cities with nice skylines, Frankfurt, London or Paris (La Defence). Low skylines can also be attractive.
Paris, in fact, is very beautiful both on the street level and in the skyline. One of the few cases in the world.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes I get it... the whole "yawn, been there done that" point of view. In my opinion that's just a very jaded viewpoint and we all see things differently and some of us have the capability of discerning more poignant differences in the landscapes. There are similarities but I appreciate the distinctions and can't really get my head around the cynical outlook or minimal estimate of uniqueness dismissing them all as the same. Seems sad to have such a dismissive and jaded viewpoint really.
Not at all. What I'm saying is this. Lets say I have six envelopes in my hand, each one with a ticket to an airport in a different continent. You choose the continent, and go there and spend a week with a camera and bring me back with beautiful scenery. No people, no culture, no art, no cuisine, just "beautiful" places. Which continent do you want. The Asia envelope might be Jakarta or Ulan Bator or Riyadh, you won't know until you open it. South America might be Montevideo or Manaus or Guayaquil. Where do you want to go to see "the most beautiful continent?"

Old 10-20-2013, 08:51 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,947,230 times
I ve been in some continents (south america, north america, europe), but most of it is from what i ve seen in pictures so excuse me

Here is some criteria to rate multiple options

-Best looking cities: Europe. DEFINETELY
-Best Mountains: South America
-Best beaches & coastlines: Oceania/Asia/Europe
-Best Deserts: North America/Africa
-Best rainforest/jungle: South America
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc): North and South America
-Most unique or unusual landscapes: probably Asia?

And then rate.....

-Best overall - Most beautiful continent: they are all gorgeous

Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Not at all. What I'm saying is this. Lets say I have six envelopes in my hand, each one with a ticket to an airport in a different continent. You choose the continent, and go there and spend a week with a camera and bring me back with beautiful scenery. No people, no culture, no art, no cuisine, just "beautiful" places. Which continent do you want. The Asia envelope might be Jakarta or Ulan Bator or Riyadh, you won't know until you open it. South America might be Montevideo or Manaus or Guayaquil. Where do you want to go to see "the most beautiful continent?"
I don't really find it difficult to put it all into context and my choices wouldn't be limited to random odds being pulled out of an envelope either. If I were to decide on a beach Australia/Oceania would be an immediate choice for me. If I decide on mountains and my choice were between Nepal/Bhutan/Tibet or the Andes I'd have to ponder over it because they are so different.

Also if I were running around the Andes with a camera it would be hard not to integrate culture in with the shots in places like Machu Picchu, the mystery that surrounds it just adds to the beauty of it all. I think the variety of colorful mountain terrain that exists from Cuzco to Angel Falls to Torres del Paine to the beaches of Rio may determine how I may view the most beautiful continent.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 10-20-2013 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or