U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Beautiful Continent in the World
Europe 90 32.26%
Asia 50 17.92%
Australia/Oceania 14 5.02%
North Amerca 89 31.90%
South America 41 14.70%
Africa 39 13.98%
Antarctica 15 5.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:43 AM

68 posts, read 33,612 times

Advertisements

Picking the most beautiful continent is like picking the coolest number, or the tastiest fruit, or the nicest soda!

Who knows? Everyone likes different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 AM

179 posts, read 48,047 times
Europe because its culture.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,085,422 times
Hmm. Interesting thread. Nice how it got resurrected. I feel like doing a full score sheet golf style (where high points is bad) is the only proper way to do this. I'll do my best, I'm leaving Antarctica out of this because clearly it destroys one category and gets destroyed in the rest.
skycrappers
Cities:
1. Norther America: I could be biased but I feel like NA cities offer the best of everything. Want big city with sky scrappers? It has that. Want a walkable city with parks? It has that. Want a tropical city? It has that. Want a sprawling suburb? It has that.

2. Asia: Asia wins for modern cities. When I think of what cities will look like in 200 years. Cities like Dubai, Singapore, Tokyo. Seoul and Doha all come to mind. That Saudi concept city looks amazing as well. India is getting there. They have some older cities like Jerusalem, Delhi and Vladivostok to.

3. Europe: There's a reason that they're toured so much. They're all extremely walkable and have beautiful architecture. However outside Frankfurt, Rotterdam, and Oslo they are somewhat lacking in modernity and sky scrappers.

4. Oceania: Most of the cities are very beautiful and well layed out. However they are pretty similar.

5. South America: Some beautiful backdrops to their cities. Like Rio, Santiago and Bogota. However they're pretty high on urban decay and crime. Some of the newer areas are safe but a bit on the bland side.

6. Africa: No denying Africa loses this category. It has some interesting cities but it can't compete with the rest.

Best Mountains:
1. Asia: Come on it has the highest peak. Along with some nice green rolling hills in Korea and Japan. Plus Volcanoes.

2. South America: The Andes are truly a spectacular site, plus many "jungle mountains"

3. North America: Canadian Rockies and rolling Appalachian hills.

4. Africa: mt kilimanjaro, along with many other beautiful mountanous back drops.

5. Europe: I know people love the alps, but overall the country is a little flat for my taste.

6. Oceania: I know the NZ mountains where the scenes of Lord of the Rings. But outside that Oceania is a bit lacking in this category.

Beaches ( Tough every country has beautiful beaches

1. North America: The Carribean, SoCal and Hawaii do it for me.

2. South America: Brazil coast, Caribbean. and the surfing beaches of Lima

3. Oceania: Fiji and the Gold coast are quite beautiful

4. Europe: Really nice Mediterranean coast. and Portugal. The rest of Europe is too cool and rocky though.

5. Africa: It has a good Mediterranean coast, but Europe's is a bit nicer. Outside that I'm not sure, I wish Africa would promote their beaches more.

6. Asia: Same deal Promote your beaches.

Deserts:
1. Asia: Good variety with the sand of the Arabian Desert, the rugged desert from Iran to Western India, and the cold Gobi Desert.

2. Africa: The Sahara desert is vast. The Namib desert is quite rugged.

3. Oceania: The Outback is quite vast and rugged.

4. North America: Like a smaller cooler Outback.

5. South America: Some good cool desert in the Patagonia and dry warm desert in north Chile. Overall not as large as the others.

6. Europe: No real desert to speak of outside part of south central Spain and NW Bulgaria which are arguably desert.

Rainforets/Jungle

1. South America: Amazon.....nuff said.

2. Africa: Congo nuff said

3. Asia: Lots of beautiful forest in India and south east Asia

4. North America: Costa Rica is quite beautiful

5. Oceania: Some in North Australia and Fiji

6. Europe: Again, Europe is the only continent with no tropical climate.

Polar:

1. Asia: Siberia region is quite vast.

2. North America: Not as vast as Siberia but still quite beautiful

3. Europe: Scandinavia wins over many people with the fjord coast and pine forest.

4. South America: The Patagonia region is quite nice but it barely classifies as Polar.

6 Africa/Oceania: Neither have this type of landscape

Most unique Landscape:

1. Africa: The Savannah and Nile River are truly unique. Also the only continent with Mediterranean climate in the northern and southern hemisphere.

2. South America: The Amazon is quite unique ( River and Forest). Patagonia is unique despite it not truly being polar.

3. Europe: The Mediterranean coast is truly a site to behold. As are the Fjords of Scandinavia and the greenery of Ireland.

4. Oceania: Just for the sheer number of Islands.

5. North America: The Caribbean and Canadian Shield are probably the most unique. Outside that it's pretty ho hum.

6. Asia: Most topographic diversity. But not overly unique outside the tallest peak.

Final score (let's hope my math is right.

North America: 20

South America: 21

Europe: 30

Africa: 26

Asia: 20

Oceania: 31

So it looks like Asia and North America tie for first in my comparison. Well that was a fun time killer :P

Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM

893 posts, read 540,090 times
The Gold Coast is a very average beach location by Australian standards; itís urban development that gives it its spark. The Whitsunday Islands, also in Qld, are much more beautiful for example, and even Tasmania has some beautiful cold weather beaches.

Thereís way more rainforest in Oceania than northern Aus and Fiji. They are probably two of the least spectacular locations from that perspective.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:45 AM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
PNG and west Papua are actually by far the most moutainis countries in Oceania, just saying as they are often overlooked

Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,244,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast93 View Post

What's next, are you going to show me a picture of a sand dune and a cactus and ask me if it's in Argentina, Mexico or Arizona ? lmao maybe show me a snow patch and ask me if it's in Canada or Russia .

LMAO, just revisiting this thread and this made me chuckle. Enjoyed reminiscing the pictures and my tussle with Iask

Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
north and south america the most beautiful continents in the world

Old 08-23-2018, 08:59 AM

6,809 posts, read 9,368,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
From a larger perspective taken into account the variety, colors, culture, and scenery and mostly form a visual standpoint what would you consider the world most beautiful continent?.

Here is some criteria to rate multiple options

-Best looking cities:
-Best Mountains:
-Best beaches & coastlines:
-Best Deserts:
-Best rainforest/jungle:
-Best Polar/Subpolar regions (Arctic/Patagonia etc):
-Most unique or unusual landscapes:

And then rate.....

-Best overall - Most beautiful continent.
Tell us why overall you think your singular choice is the best overall most beautiful continent.
Best looking cities: EUROPE
Best Mountains: ASIA
Best beaches & coastlines: NORTH AMERICA
Best deserts: Not sure
Best rainforest/jungle: SOUTH AMERICA
Best polar/subpolar regions: NORTH AMERICA
Most unique or unusual landscapes: ASIA

A few categories of my own.

Most wildlife: AFRICA
Best parks/conservation land: NORTH AMERICA
Most history: EUROPE and ASIA
Most interesting cultures: ASIA
Friendliest People: AUSTRALIA/OCEANIA and AFRICA

Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 PM

4,288 posts, read 3,934,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaz11 View Post
north and south america the most beautiful continents in the world
pretty much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or