Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have to admit that I find the name "Czech Republic" to be strange too.

I think they should use the historic name of Bohemia. As in the historic Kingdom of Bohemia, which not only included Bohemia proper but also Moravia and part of Silesia.

Kingdom of Bohemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess we use Czech Republic because the official name is Ceska Republika, but on the other hand France's official name is République française, and we still call it France.

Mexico is also Estados Unidos Mexicanos, but we call it Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why can't "The Czech Republic" have a real name, like other countries do. There are countries with one syllable names, Spain, France, Greece. why can't it just be Czech? Or Czesko, which is what they call it? Or even Bohemia, using an old historic name, the way we do for Germany.
It depends on the language. The Dutch name for Czech Republic is Tsjechië and I've never heard people refer to it otherwise.

Sticking to English, I think Hungary ("hungry"), Greece ("grease") and Turkey are pretty bad country names. Montenegro is not bad but it sounds like an island in the Caribbean rather than a former Yugoslav country. Names like United States and United Kingdom are too nondescript. Niger is too similar to a racial slur and easily confused with Nigeria. South Africa and Central African Republic are utterly unoriginal. Turkmenistan sounds like a Turkey reject. But worst of all is probably Mongolia, because "mongol" is the Dutch word for retard. Uzbekistan (or Ubeki-beki-beki-stan as former Presidential candidate Herman Cain called it) sounds unappealing, as do all country names that end with -stan.

JMO

Old 10-24-2013, 01:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Kyrgyzstan is giving me a headache... I never know how to write that country's name. The German version is even worse... Kirgisistan, Kirgistan or Kirgisien. I don't even know how we refer to it officially...

Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM

667 posts, read 939,972 times
Indeed, Czech Republic is a somewhat strange name. I'm kind of used to it but sometimes still wonder why it is called like this. Why Slovakia, but not Czechia? In Russian, we call them simply Словакия and Чехия, no differense.

As for other countries names, some of them sound better, some worse, but I can live with it Well, Papua-New Guinea is also a pretty weird name.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Czech Republic, with no doubts. I have no knowledge about the culture and politics of that country, but I think it should be called 'Republic of Bohemia and Moravia', or Bohemia for short.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
But worst of all is probably Mongolia, because "mongol" is the Dutch word for retard.
We have the same problem in French! I always get mixed up between Mongol and Mongolien. One of the refers to people from the country Mongolia, and the other refers to a person who is Trisomic. I can never remember which one is which.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It depends on the language. The Dutch name for Czech Republic is Tsjechië and I've never heard people refer to it otherwise.

Sticking to English, I think Hungary ("hungry"), Greece ("grease") and Turkey are pretty bad country names. Montenegro is not bad but it sounds like an island in the Caribbean rather than a former Yugoslav country. Names like United States and United Kingdom are too nondescript. Niger is too similar to a racial slur and easily confused with Nigeria. South Africa and Central African Republic are utterly unoriginal. Turkmenistan sounds like a Turkey reject. But worst of all is probably Mongolia, because "mongol" is the Dutch word for retard. Uzbekistan (or Ubeki-beki-beki-stan as former Presidential candidate Herman Cain called it) sounds unappealing, as do all country names that end with -stan.

JMO
This! Especially, indeed, Mongolia, which, too us Dutch speakers, is like Retardia would sound to native English speakers .

Further, I never liked Iran. I think their ancient name, Persia, is way prettier.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
This! Especially, indeed, Mongolia, which, too us Dutch speakers, is like Retardia would sound to native English speakers .

Further, I never liked Iran. I think their ancient name, Persia, is way prettier.
Mongoloid was the English equivalent to that Dutch and French term, but we found the (definitely deliberate) racial connotations distasteful and found it so un-PC that we no longer use it at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/128629

As you'll see above, this scientific paper from 1975 in English uses the term exactly as mongol would be used in Dutch or French, but these days it's considered much more offensive then retard so that word continues to exist whereas some English speakers don't even know the word mongoloid anymore it's fallen so out of favour.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Mongoloid was the English equivalent to that Dutch and French term, but we found the (definitely deliberate) racial connotations distasteful and found it so un-PC that we no longer use it at all.

Social and play behaviors of institutionalized mon... [J Psychol. 1975] - PubMed - NCBI

As you'll see above, this scientific paper from 1975 in English uses the term exactly as mongol would be used in Dutch or French, but these days it's considered much more offensive then retard so that word continues to exist whereas some English speakers don't even know the word mongoloid anymore it's fallen so out of favour.
Was there ever any relationship between this word for people with Down's syndrome and the nationality of Mongolia, or is it just a semantic coincidence?

Old 10-25-2013, 01:58 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
For Russian-speaking people, the name Honduras sounds quite weird, may be because it's associated with word "пидорас" (read "pidoras", vulgar word for homosexual men).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World