Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Italy or Spain?
Italy 49 39.84%
Spain 74 60.16%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times

Advertisements

Some years, I go to Buenos Aires or Montevideo for my yearly vacation; but usually I go to Europe. For some reason, I keep returning to Italy, and am seriously considering it as a part-time retirement home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 05:33 AM

10 posts, read 18,781 times
Espanha.
Because it is closer to where you really want to be...Portugal! OK, so I am biased!
Cant say really because never been to Italy but life here in Seville is VERY nice.Well, it was even better before the $$$ crash hit.Hard question to answer....its like asking who is a better team,Barca or Real Madrid? RM of course because they have that Ronaldo guy ....from PORTUGAL!!
Its all good.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 AM

276 posts, read 763,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Oddly enough, diaspora Italians have been quite different, retaining that energy but turning it to much more pleasant interaction.
Certainly, seems that a lot of diaspora Italians are a bit ashamed at most of the typical Italian behavior and the way things run in their country, at least based on my experience with the Italians I know.

Which, incidentally, also happens with a lot of Spaniards abroad. Guess dysfunctional countries will do that to you once you get out and look at it from the distance.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Spain - and in a wide margin.
I've been to both and I just don't connect with Italy (moreover, my location in France is much closer to Spain)
- Spanish is a world language (and I manage to speak it, albeit not fluently)
- Italy is smaller, population is more important, -add to that the throng of tourists, it's also the case in Spain , but only in summer, and the density being lower, it's not as bad-
- I'm more interested in Spain's history (world empire), culture and art (less hyped up as Italian art)
- I love glamenco and guitar, and the Spanish language in my book is the second best language for singing after English - and I can't stand Italian opera and bel canto, so corny.
- few people acknowledge it, but Spain is on the whole more southern than Italy (whose northern part is nearly central European), meaning a better climate on average (there is no Italian equivalent to the subtropical Canary islands).
- Life is 20-30% cheaper in Spain
- infrastructures are much better (hotels, supermarkets, roads, trains) and modern
- you've got ATMs everywhere and Visa is accepted by most stores- not the case in Italy
- although they are as festive-if not more- than the Italians , the Spanish people appear less boisterous and less noisy - a big plus for me.
So my conclusion : Espana por favor!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 AM

484 posts, read 882,549 times
Italy for me because I enjoy studying the ancient Roman culture and find historic cities such as Rome to be very fascinating and enjoyable. Plus I've met a couple of Italians, whom of which were friendly.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Italy. I like both but Italy seems to be a bit more exciting and the people more animated.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I'll tell you next year after I visit Spain. I have spent time in Italy and enjoyed it thoroughly, although getting things done was a hassle.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times
I don't know because I live in one of them, but about Italy I like that almost every point is not far from the beaches, but as negative point Italian transport is terrible!!! I find Spain moe organized.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 AM

106 posts, read 188,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post

Italy has better public transportation than Spain?!?

You don't know waht you are talking about: Spain's public transportation is futuristic compared to Italy's one.

An example; Rome (2.800.000 inhabitants) has just... er... two subway lines, Madrid (3,265,038 inhabitants) has THIRTEEN subway lines.

Agree...but Rome can't build new subway lines because archeaologic finds are incessant...But Spain's infrastructure is much better for the only reason that everything is brand new. Spanish are also more organized, militarised, Italy is anarchic. I guess that Italy is nice to visit, but Spain is better to live.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocrodril View Post

... Italy is anarchic ...
Not exactly. The Italian state is organized well enough that it protects the interests of the oligarchy that comprises it and hurts you the taxpayer, and not organized well enough that it provides benefits such as more or less equal economic opportunities for all, including good infrastructure, instead it enforces mediocre results on a declining trajectory for everyone (except themselves of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World