Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Italy or Spain?
Italy 49 39.84%
Spain 74 60.16%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM

34 posts, read 75,329 times

Advertisements

and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 04:10 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Spain.

I can somewhat, very horribly, speak the language...well, communicate with it, more like. I prefer the cities (although I have never been to Italy), seems more developed and organized than The middle and southern parts of Italy. Also, I'm no so sure about how true this is, but I couldn't live somewhere with some substantial dumb machismo, womanizer demographic, if that actually exists. I also prefer the food of Spain.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Italy. I like the language and the food better, and more interesting places to go.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
Italy. Beautiful country, nice people and I'm descendant of italians. I travelled to there twice.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:21 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Never been to Italy yet so I am choosing Spain though I would for sure like Italy too because I love Italian food so much.
Spain because I feel connected because of language and culture also love Granada and Sevilla.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:31 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,525,589 times
Italy!
They have the best food, the country is probably the most beautiful in the world, language doesnt seem so hard to learn and i have family there!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Spain.

Don't care for the country but it has arguably one of the best collection of cities of every size there is with Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia.

Even small towns like Benidorm are stellar. I don't even want to get into the whole Ibiza thing, it speaks for itself.

I've been to Italy but not Milan. I would like to see Milan, Turin, and Naples. Perhaps one day, they aren't exactly all too high on my bucketlist, whereas Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia are all towards the top.

I was not impressed with Rome, actually didn't like the place at all. I have a pretty low opinion of the place to be honest.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 AM

41 posts, read 243,426 times
Spain.

Because its more culturally and historically affiliated with the Philippines. I want to discover Madre Espana!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times
I wouldn't mind living in either country. I just wish I could speak one of the languages. I couldn't choose between them but I'm more familiar with Italian food and people from living in Australia.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,303,260 times
You provided no criteria.

If your criteria is strictly the sheer number historical places and art museums, then Italy.

From a jobs/business perspective it can fluctuate: for example, from the mid-1990s or so up to very recently, Barcelona has probably been a more dynamic center than Milan.

As for practical living, Italy has horrible, horrible bureaucracy and the carabinieri presence at times can feel oppressive, but other times also comforting. Spain's bureaucracy appears somewhat less bad, but with the ETA thing I had an impression of a somewhat oppressive police presence, and in that sense I preferred Portugal, it seemed there is less tension in the air, so to speak.

More on practical living, Italians are very predictable in their daily habits: for example, it seems the entire country eats breakfast at 8AM, lunch at 1PM, dinner at 8PM; I used to go food shopping purposely at 1PM on Saturdays to avoid the crowds at supermarkets; it is almost impossible to eat at a sit-down restaurant from 2PM to 6PM. It seems the entire country goes, or used to go, on vacation in August.

I think the Spaniards are a bit more flexible on those points, certainly the Greeks are.

As a student, retiree or family, it really depends on one's specific interests and personal ties.

On balance, the cost of living is about the same: expensive to very expensive in the big cities; perhaps even a bargain in the provincial towns, provided you have access to income/wealth from outside or are involved in a successful local family business.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Italy or Spain unless I were a student or independently wealthy retiree.

My student days are over (I did both Italy and Spain as a student).

If I were an independently wealthy retiree, and with no other considerations like family, I would live somewhere in Sicily, perhaps the Syracuse or Messina area, or in southern Puglia, the area known as Salentino. If in Spain, Cordoba or thereabouts, but more likely in eastern Algarve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World