U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,374,009 times

Advertisements

There is a world away from USA, and people donít have to love USA if they donít want to live there. I also get annoyed with some topics too obsessed with USA when more places all over the world should be focused on when this is appropriate.

I have nothing against USA. I love plenty of my favorite countries all over the world, including this country too.

You should include a brief explanation, or just have up a list. I might say an explanation later in the topic.

These are all of the countries in the world I know I would love living in away from USA: France, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Romania, Argentina, Chile, Canada, Australia, China, Thailand, India, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, UK, Portugal, Brazil, Peru, Mexico, UAE, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Seychelles. *Around 35 countries total.

Maybe these places too, but not with complete confidence: Finland, Morocco, Tunisia, Israel, Croatia, Russia, Poland, Eurasian Georgia, Nepal, Bhutan, Indonesia, Philippines, and New Zealand. *Around 50 countries total if including this second category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,235,433 times
From experience in the countries, Germany, and maybe Spain. That's it.

If I had to extrapolate, I would be willing to try Turkey (Istanbul), Uruguay, Argentina, and any of the Scandinavian countries, including Denmark.

I'm not so interested in the far east, as I can not imagine ever integrating properly. Is there anywhere in Asia east of the Caspian where this is possible, Asia expats? I like social (in terms of political and literally socializing) countries. I go for things like universalized education and health, good public transport, pension, out-and-about culture, food...

Living space is basically a non-issue. I hate the idea of owning a house or large property and would do well on my own in a studio or one bedroom if a significant other is living with me.

I like cities with amenities. I'm not crazy about cold winters, but will take them over tropical year round heat and humidity. Slightly inland med temps are the best for me.

I like the Spanish language and can speak a bit of it, I pick up a little bit more German all the time, and I would be dedicated to learning any of the Scandanavian ones were I to have the opportunity to live there.

So that kind of explains my choices.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:09 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
I am completely confident that there is not a single country in the world in which I would not be able to find a way to be contented living there and make it a positive experience. Given two countries at random to choose between, I would probably not be able to think of any compelling reasons to choose one over the other.

Even Somalia -- the Puntland region up around Hargeisa is perfectly liveable and again has a lively tourism activity. North Korea would probably be difficult to live in as an ex-pat, because of the inaccessibility of the ordinary things that would pass away the time spend there. and I'd probably be miserable in unheated housing in winter. Countries where there is ongoing civil war would be trying, at lest for the time being. But 95% of all the countries would be equally acceptable to me, but mainly because of restricted movement or rationing. I'd just as soon live in Myanmar or Equatorial Guinea, as Switzerland or New Zealand. Each would have advantages and disadvantages, but they would cancel out.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 AM

30,374 posts, read 31,242,624 times
I would be interested in living in Spain in order to practice my Spanish and because of milder climate there. I would also be interested in France in order to practice my French and live as an adult in a country that I spent a year in as a child.
I would consider also Australia (where I spent 6 months several years ago), New Zealand, Canada (but not during the winter) and England (where I lived as a child) as there is no linguistic problems for me and I would enjoy being in places that would be easier to integrate in the local populations and I believe that they have decent social benefits for their residents.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,618,004 times
Hmm, I'd love to once experience living in a real giant metropolis. I myself live (and was born and raised) in Ghent, a very pretty old city that I adore. But it only has about 250,000 inhabitants.

So I wonder what it would be like to live in true megalopolises such as New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Moscow,...Must be quite the experience actually.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,865,322 times
Congo

Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM

338 posts, read 442,645 times
Switzerland, France, UK, and Norway.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM

485 posts, read 696,086 times
I could see myself enjoying these possibly more or the same as I do the U.S. (assuming I could speak/learn the languages with ease). I'll order them from most to least:

1. Germany
2. Netherlands
3. Denmark
4. Ireland
5. Australia
6. France
7. Canada
8. UK
9. Norway
10. Sweden

Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM

10,293 posts, read 11,710,557 times
Living longer than just 1 year

*Homicide rate below 10.0 per 100.000 pop.
*GDP per capita (PPP) at least $20.000
*Within 200 km from ocean

right now (not in order):
Canada
Netherlands
Belgium
Spain
Italy
Japan
Australia

maybe: Portugal, Hong Kong, Taiwan

If the Scandinavian countries were a little bit warmer they would be on my list too.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:03 PM

16,154 posts, read 21,413,974 times
For me they would be, in this order:

Germany
Netherlands
Ireland
Belgium
Sweden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or