Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Downtown in the World
Vancouver 6 2.26%
Toronto 14 5.26%
NYC 71 26.69%
Philidelphia 4 1.50%
Chicago 27 10.15%
Paris 10 3.76%
London 58 21.80%
Amsterdam 8 3.01%
Prague 4 1.50%
Rome 1 0.38%
Stockholm 3 1.13%
Oslo 0 0%
Sydney 15 5.64%
Melbourne 2 0.75%
Seoul 2 0.75%
Tokyo 9 3.38%
Hong Kong 13 4.89%
Shanghai 0 0%
Mexico city 5 1.88%
Sao Paul 2 0.75%
Lima 1 0.38%
Carcass 2 0.75%
LA 5 1.88%
Seattle 3 1.13%
Portland 1 0.38%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 12:48 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree, those are weird terms especially when you look at how some cities use the terms. Oakland, California has a downtown and an uptown. Uptown is the northern part of its downtown
Even more interesting is that the term downtown originated in the urban geography of Manhattan, but that the part of Manhattan that most people in the world would identify as the city's downtown, is actuallly ''Midtown".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 12:56 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
San Diego is interesting. Majority of the time, you here downtown. However the Metropolitan Transit System often uses "city centre" mainly on the trolley (light rail). A few of the buses actually use the Spanish "San Diego Centro".
In English-speaking Canada you see both "Downtown" and the more British style ''City Centre'' on highway signs, depending on the region. In bilingual New Brunswick they just use the word "Centre" which works in both languages. So the exit for downtown Moncton says ''Moncton Centre".

But in spoken Canadian English, it's always downtown people say.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:29 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
Quote:
For vibrancy in a downtown, San Diego beats Portland by miles and Seattle a bit too.
No, it really doesn't. Downtown San Diego feels pretty dead outside of touristy Gastown. Neither of those three cities have that great of downtowns, but there's nothing that special about San Diego from what I've seen.

North American downtowns outside a few are usually not that great as it is, but they've had a long nadir and only recently are coming back in some ways.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
I don't know about Caracas but I can sort of see your point. I love Seattle but it's downtown really isn't that impressive. Only in the actual core does it have that vibrant urban feel to it. A lot of the energy in Seattle is in Capital Hill or the more distant University District.

Don't even get me started on Portland Oregon. Portland feels like a bunch of mountain people that just happen to live in a city and it's downtown is not even worth speaking of.

For vibrancy in a downtown, San Diego beats Portland by miles and Seattle a bit too.
The part of Seattle's downtown that's office only (southern part?) is rather dead, others aren't bad. And looking it from a "center city perspective" does it matter much if a lot of the energy is in adjacent Capitol Hill rather than the very center?

I thought Portland's downtown was nice, though not very big.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
No, it really doesn't. Downtown San Diego feels pretty dead outside of touristy Gastown. Neither of those three cities have that great of downtowns, but there's nothing that special about San Diego from what I've seen.

North American downtowns outside a few are usually not that great as it is, but they've had a long nadir and only recently are coming back in some ways.
I'm not one to say San Diego is special but compared to Seattle's, there is more vibrancy. Also, it's Gaslamp, not Gastown and it's where the nighlife is in SD, not so much a tourist attraction. I've spent many a night at the clubs there.

Also, San Diego has a four story mall in it's downtown which blows Seattle's Westlake Village out of the water. Now Seattle's waterfront buries San Diego's.

Last edited by Gentoo; 01-20-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The part of Seattle's downtown that's office only (southern part?) is rather dead, others aren't bad. And looking it from a "center city perspective" does it matter much if a lot of the energy is in adjacent Capitol Hill rather than the very center?

I thought Portland's downtown was nice, though not very big.
Then what is your criteria? If it's just skylines then yeah, Seattle wins but to me there's more to a downtown than it's skyline. And it does matter because Capitol Hill is not downtown. Belltown is but not Capitol Hill. At this point, you might as well just ask what city is the best and not focus on the city centres.

And yes, the office building areas tend to be rather dead. It's the same in San Francisco. In fact, many don't consider those areas as "downtown" but rather they are called the Financial District, especially in San Francisco. It's often said that the Financial District is adjacent to downtown.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:25 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Not gonna lie but a lot of American downtowns look very boring. Not a lot of people walking the streets.

Seattle downtown looks OK

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...101.19,,0,1.02

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...51.01,,0,-1.03

Is Pine street a main shopping street?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...50.77,,0,-0.46

It looks too ''clean'' for me sounds odd but I'm sure some will know what I mean.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...108.9,,0,-3.76

Capitol Hill...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cap...,167.5,,0,4.83

Looks like a fairy tale town

Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Not gonna lie but a lot of American downtowns look very boring. Not a lot of people walking the streets.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...101.19,,0,1.02

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...51.01,,0,-1.03

Is Pine street a main shopping street?

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...50.77,,0,-0.46

It looks too ''clean'' for me sounds odd but I'm sure some will know what I mean.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...108.9,,0,-3.76

Capitol Hill...
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cap...,167.5,,0,4.83

Looks like a fairy tale town
The first picture is Belltown. Some people like Belltown, some don't. The second shows the monorail. That building that it ends up at is the end of the line. That's Westlake Village. Pine is a shopping street. I never did much shopping in Seattle but now I am beginning to perhaps give Seattle more credit than before. CanuckInPortland may have made a good point in his posts as Seattle does have high end shopping than San Diego. Indeed, Nordstrom is headquartered there. I just remember it becoming a ghost town at night where as San Diego's downtown doesn't.

Yes, Seattle is a very clean city. Compared to California cities it is ridiculously clean. Downtown San Diego and especially San Francisco often smell like urine. They are definitely much grittier especially San Francisco.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Then what is your criteria? If it's just skylines then yeah, Seattle wins but to me there's more to a downtown than it's skyline. And it does matter because Capitol Hill is not downtown. Belltown is but not Capitol Hill. At this point, you might as well just ask what city is the best and not focus on the city centres.
Captiol Hill is almost the city center, though. I walked there from where I was staying downtown, it doesn't look like downtown though I remember it being very busy on a Friday night. Overwhelmed by hipsters.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post

You went to Boston, right? Anywhere else in the US? How'd Boston compare to British city centers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World