Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Downtown in the World
Vancouver 6 2.26%
Toronto 14 5.26%
NYC 71 26.69%
Philidelphia 4 1.50%
Chicago 27 10.15%
Paris 10 3.76%
London 58 21.80%
Amsterdam 8 3.01%
Prague 4 1.50%
Rome 1 0.38%
Stockholm 3 1.13%
Oslo 0 0%
Sydney 15 5.64%
Melbourne 2 0.75%
Seoul 2 0.75%
Tokyo 9 3.38%
Hong Kong 13 4.89%
Shanghai 0 0%
Mexico city 5 1.88%
Sao Paul 2 0.75%
Lima 1 0.38%
Carcass 2 0.75%
LA 5 1.88%
Seattle 3 1.13%
Portland 1 0.38%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
In addition to nei's points I would add that it was the midtown CBDs (ie. office space dense areas such as sixth avenue; not Times Square) that were being compared. Though not near wall street, these are financial services hubs, with a high density of finance sector professionals and corporate headquarters.
Times Square has an extremely high density of office space, and is in the center of Midtown. Sixth Avenue is the eastern boundary of the Times Square area. You're making up distinctions that don't exist.

Quote:
Quite the opposite. I personally think Manhattan is a ghetto dump. So I've no idea why you continue to be defensive in this way.
Sorry, but no. I don't live in NYC, and don't want to live in NYC. But your comments above pretty much confirm your biases, and show your comments are worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Times Square has an extremely high density of office space, and is in the center of Midtown. Sixth Avenue is the eastern boundary of the Times Square area. You're making up distinctions that don't exist.
The heaviest office concentration is around and to the north of Grand Central [obvious from the skyline and a bit less so from street level]. Still, there's plenty of offices right by Times Square.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM

531 posts, read 594,619 times
Quote:
Both non sequitur points. Times Square is a retail and entertainment industry hub, with office spaces occupied by companies such as Time Warner, Yahoo and the eponymous newspaper. There is some financial sector presence, such as the former Lehman Brothers (now Barclays) corporate offices, but not enough to qualify it as a financial sector hub or district. Conflating 6th avenue and Times Square as one area is also far from a convincing proposition.

Quote:
Sorry, but no. I don't live in NYC, and don't want to live in NYC. But your comments above pretty much confirm your biases, and show your comments are worthless.
Your comments get stranger and stranger.

How does it follow from the statement that "I find Manhattan to be a dump" that I am implying that you come from New York? Are you being antagonistic just for the sake of being antagonistic or are we experiencing the terminal stages of some kind of thought derailment problem?

Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM

50 posts, read 75,356 times
Quote:
A ridiculous list.

Chicago at #2, Toronto at #4, both ahead of Paris, Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bangkok, etc. LOL.

I don't even think they would #2 and #4 in North America, to say nothing of the globe. In Europe they wouldn't be in the Top 10.

Especially in regards to transport and 24-hour feel, most U.S./Canadian cities will fall short.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really ?
I think North America is most alive... Not in people traffic (Your comment of Chicago and Toronto is completely correct in this category)..., North America + Australia falls well below Europe and world....
But in terms of 24 hours and diversity ..... Europe is several years behind North America

Places generally close early vs North America, and is not as diverse.... Except for London

Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1000 View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really ?
I think North America is most alive... Not in people traffic (Your comment of Chicago and Toronto is completely correct in this category)..., North America + Australia falls well below Europe and world....
But in terms of 24 hours and diversity ..... Europe is several years behind North America

Places generally close early vs North America, and is not as diverse.... Except for London
I am sorry but there is no conceivable criteria by which Chicago and Toronto can be considered more vibrant than Tokyo or Buenos Aires.. I can think of half a dozen to a dozen hubs in central Tokyo each of which beats downtown Chicago in vibrancy. Heck, any large train station in Tokyo probably has more activity around it than anywhere in Chicago away from North Michicagn Avenue. Especially afterhours. Same for Osaka.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Both non sequitur points. Times Square is a retail and entertainment industry hub, with office spaces occupied by companies such as Time Warner, Yahoo and the eponymous newspaper. There is some financial sector presence, such as the former Lehman Brothers (now Barclays) corporate offices, but not enough to qualify it as a financial sector hub or district. Conflating 6th avenue and Times Square as one area is also far from a convincing proposition.
You were the one that brought up Midtown, and compared it to The City in London. Now you're arguing with yourself, and saying Midtown shouldn't be compared to the City? Which is it?

And Times Square is a huge financial center. Two of the four biggest investment banks on earth are headquartered in Times Square (#2 Morgan Stanley and #4 Merrill Lynch). That is "not enough qualify it as a financial hub or district?

Well I guess London isn't a financial hub. The largest London based investment bank is only 8th largest in the world. Oh, well, thanks for correcting us.
Quote:
How does it follow from the statement that "I find Manhattan to be a dump" that I am implying that you come from New York? Are you being antagonistic just for the sake of being antagonistic or are we experiencing the terminal stages of some kind of thought derailment problem?
No, the statement just shows you're comments are idiotic trolling, nothing more.

It makes as much sense as saying "I find London poorer, less progressive and less cultured than Kabul".

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1000 View Post

Have you been to Europe?

How can you seriously claim that places like Madrid "close early vs. North America"? People eat out at 10 or 11, and streets have activity until dawn.

Or how can you claim that places like Paris "are not as diverse"? You can find practically every culture on earth in Paris. Even French natives are extremely diverse, with bloodlines from all over Europe.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM

277 posts, read 401,362 times
Quote:
And Times Square is a huge financial center Two of the four biggest investment banks on earth are headquartered in Times Square (#2 Morgan Stanley and #4 Merrill Lynch). That is "not enough qualify it as a financial hub or district?
Not really. The main financial center business districts in Midtown are clustered around Grand Central and Penn Station area. The BAC-Merrill Lynch building is more part of the Avenue of the Americas/6 ave rather than Times Square proper, unless you want to persist with the idea that 6th avenue is nothing more than an extension of Times Square.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM

250 posts, read 502,925 times
The Morgan Stanley headquarters shouldn't be thought of as part of Times Square either, given that they're based at the junction between Broadway and 50th (a full three blocks due north of the West 47th Street boundary of the 'square').

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Not really. The main financial center business districts in Midtown are clustered around Grand Central and Penn Station area. The BAC-Merrill Lynch building is more part of the Avenue of the Americas/6 ave rather than Times Square proper, unless you want to persist with the idea that 6th avenue is nothing more than an extension of Times Square.
No, this is pretty much all wrong. There are no major investment banks near Penn Station. Grand Central has a number of mid-sized banks, but only Chase is a big-time investment bank in Grand Central (and most of their bankers don't work in the HQ building).

Not sure what your "persist in the idea that 6th avenue is nothing more than an extension of Times Square" means. Nothing I'm talking about is on 6th Ave, I never claimed that 6th Ave. is nothing more than an extension of Times Square, and the boundaries of the Times Square district are official and stretch from the west side of 6th to the east side of 8th.

Morgan Stanley and Merrill Lynch are in Times Square. Two of the four biggest banks in the world are in Times Square.

Morgan Stanley sits right on Broadway, with added space at 750 7th Ave. Merrill Lynch sits right on 42nd Street, and literally on top of one the most important Broadway theaters and on top of the Broadway Hall of Fame/Museum. Significant additional space for Merrill is at 47th/Broadway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World