U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the absolute most hellish city in the world?
Baghdad, Iraq 9 8.65%
Beirut, Lebanon 0 0%
Kabul, Afghanistan 8 7.69%
Mogadishu, Somalia 44 42.31%
Belfast, Northern Ireland 8 7.69%
Sarajevo, Bosnia 0 0%
Bogota/Medellin, Colombia 0 0%
Tijuana, Mexico 2 1.92%
Ciudad Juarez, Mexico 7 6.73%
Gaza City, Palestinian Territories 3 2.88%
Johannesburg, South Africa 4 3.85%
Port au Prince, Haiti 7 6.73%
Mexico City 3 2.88%
Cairo, Egypt 1 0.96%
Lagos, Nigeria 8 7.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 AM

3,011 posts, read 2,745,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So.....what is THE WORST hell on the face of the Earth?????
Why are there no American cities on the list? I would live in Tijuana over many cities in the US including...

Fresno
Phoenix
Okalhoma City
Nashville
Laredo
St Louis
Cincinatti
Tijuana and Mex City are quite nice actually. Have you been to any of these cities OP? Your poll only has two responses which means IT SUCKS.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 AM

248 posts, read 418,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Why are there no American cities on the list? I would live in Tijuana over many cities in the US including...

Fresno
Phoenix
Okalhoma City
Nashville
Laredo
St Louis
Cincinatti
Tijuana and Mex City are quite nice actually. Have you been to any of these cities OP? Your poll only has two responses which means IT SUCKS.
AGREED!
The fact that Beirut, Belfast, Sarajevo, Bogota (and Medellin!!?? as if they can be classified as the same city), Tijuana, and DF were on that original list is absurd.

I will also agree that there should be American cities on a list like this since some of the most miserable places I have ever seen are in the states.

Glad to see someone else nominated Fresno haha

Old 11-16-2013, 02:22 AM

5,434 posts, read 8,633,305 times
Mogadsciu no 1, Port du Prince close second, Kabul-Gaza-Bagdad third ex aequo.
However, I don't understand why Belfast, Tijuana, Bogota, Medellin, Mexico city are on this list (why not Rio de Janeiro, Port Moresby or Dhaka then ?)

Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 AM

9,977 posts, read 9,603,960 times
Beirut, Belfast, Sarajevo and Mexico City shouldn't be in the poll (anymore).

Old 11-16-2013, 03:53 AM

9,977 posts, read 9,603,960 times
Guatemala City, Guatemala
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Kingston, Jamaica
Cali, Colombia
Caracas, Venezuela
Belem, Brazil
Kinshasa, DR Congo
Sana’a, Yemen
Karachi, Pakistan
Grozny, Russia

plus hundreds of other cities in Mexico, Honduras, Colombia, Venezuela and Brazil.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 AM

66 posts, read 163,270 times
Kampala, Uganda
Cairo, Egypt
Karachi, Pakistan
Norilsk, Russia

What about these super-polluted Chinese cities, where air pollution is unsustainable for healthy living and is making people sick..

Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 AM

21,453 posts, read 18,810,171 times
Flint, Michigan.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:33 AM

12,838 posts, read 15,175,479 times
There is no city in the United States, Canada, Europe, East Asia or Australia that can be described as "most hellish on earth."

Not even remotely.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 AM

9,974 posts, read 12,444,187 times
This list seems to be from a bunch of stereotypes and reputation left over from back in the 1980s.

Sarajevo had a rough time in the 90s, but it's a beautiful city in older parts and while they're still rebuilding in places, it was one of the most fascinating smaller cities in Europe to visit as far as having a mix of Turkish and Austrian architecture in the core and a location on the edge of high mountains...

Tijuana has always had a sketchy rep, and had a bad break during the cartel wars of the last decade, though on the other hand, violence has lessened down there, and it's an easy day trip from San Diego--and more recently there's a really innovative Mexican culinary scene developing among younger chefs there--and there's actually a lot of nicer neighborhoods away from the border full of more middle-upper class Mexicans. Actually a fairly interesting city as far as modern Mexican culture goes.

As a mega-city in the developing world, Mexico City has it's share of slums and poorer barrios, yet there are places near the center that look like Spain or other more bourgeois neighborhoods that could pass for Buenos Aires. The Zocalo in the center and the buildings around it is one of the grandest areas of architecture and planning in all of the Americas. And as a huge city there's an incredible range of neighborhoods there ranging from the colonial village feel of Coyoacan to the rich high rise districts like Polanco. Despite the bad rep, I've always had a great time when I travel there.

Never been to Colombia myself, but I had friends who travelled there on a year-long trip around all of South America and they said Medellin was one of their favorite cities, they spent about a month just there, they liked it so much. Said it had a beautiful setting and spring-like weather and the people were friendly with a good arts scene. This isn't the Pablo Escobar-era anymore.

Likewise another friend of mine went to Beirut and found it to be an interesting place to visit, said he enjoyed the people and the nightlife and found it trying to rebuild it's former Paris of the Middle East reputation from years past prior to what happened in the 70s and 80s. Of all the places in the Middle East, I'd rather go there, than somewhere like Dubai(where you can barely buy alcohol).

I don't think Belfast is that bad either nowadays, this isn't the age of "The Troubles"...

The only cities on your list, I wouldn't travel to for any reason would be Kabul, Mogadishu, or Ciudad Juarez or maybe Baghdad. But that's just right now. If Kabul was safer, I'd go there--though who knows if it will ever be like it was for travellers back in the 60s...

Last edited by Deezus; 11-16-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 AM

9,974 posts, read 12,444,187 times
And another thing--Beirut and Sarajevo or some other cities on this list went through absolute hell at one point and have worked hard to rebuild their historic cities and return them to what they once were out of a level of national pride, and neither Bosnia Hercegovina or Lebanon are rich countries. On the other hand in the US, we've had no wars, yet we've let large sections of some of our cities turn into virtual ruins or ghost-towns basically because of racism and shifts in the economy(and likewise people fleeing the suburbs). But it's embarrassing that we let once great cities like Detroit or St. Louis get to the point where they have large sections that are basically becoming parkland because so many people have fled them. I never see anything on this level in any other "first world" nation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World