Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

I'll give a few for the places I've lived:

San Francisco is indirectly named for St. Francis. The city's original name was Yerba Buena. The bay was actually named San Francisco before the city was and it was from the bay that the city took it's name. Berkeley was named for a British poet, George Berkeley and Berkley Mass. was named for him as well but was misspelled. the city I currently live in, Chula Vista means something like, "nice view". Seattle was named for the Indian chief Seathl and anglicized.

In Seattle, most surrounding areas are native names such as Tacoma, Tahoma, Snohomish, Duwamish, Nisqually and Spanaway which became anglicized from Spanueh.

Around San Francisco, there is a mixture of Spanish as well as east coast names. Spanish include: San Bruno, Milpitas, El Cerrito, Alameda, San Pablo, and many others. Cities like Albany, Richmond and Pittsburg were named after the cities in the east. And yes, in the CA version the H was intentionally dropped from Pittsburgh. El Cerrito means "the little hill" and is in reference to the Albany hill, a random small hill sitting there not far from the bay shore. Alameda is apparently a grove of poplar trees.

In the San Diego area, almost all names of surrounding areas are Spanish: Chula Vista, El cajon, La Mesa, Encinitas, Escondido etc. with a few that aren't. El Cajon means "the box". the city mostly sits in a flat shallow valley. La Mesa is quite likely named for Mt. Helix which from certain angles look flat on top like the mesas of the deserts. Escondido means "hidden". It's in a valley surrounded by steep mountains. No one I know has any clue what Encinitas means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,129 times
I am gonna' keep coming back to this because I would LOVE to know how BUCKSNORT, Tennessee & MONKEY'S EYEBROW, Kentucky goy their names! Maybe this thread will enlighten!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Nanchong, China.

"nan" means south; "chong" was the name of an ancient kingdom located to the north of Nanchong, and it also means prosperous.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 PM

839 posts, read 3,070,864 times
From around here, the names I don't like are "date" names. Names like "9 de Julio" (July 9th), "25 de Mayo" and so on. These two give name to towns as well as streets, squares, and so on. There's even a street in BA whose name includes the year too: 15 de Noviembre de 1889.

Then, I also don't like the names with a military rank preposed: General Lavalle, Coronel Roca, and so on. And this is regrdless of the person they're honoring. There are some with a political rank instead, like "Presidente Bernardino Rivadavia", Those I don't like either.

Then there are names that are just a full person's name, like "José C. Paz", "Roque Pérez", etc. I don't like them too much, but I prefer them over the ones I mentioned above.
But the ones I like the most are those referring to things in nature, like:

Tres Arroyos (Three Streams/Creeks), a town in the province of Buenos Aires.
Río Cuarto (Fourth River, not very imaginative though; there's also a First, a Second and a Third River, all of them giving a name to cities and streets apart from the rivers themselves, all of them in the province of Córdoba).
Sierra Colorada (Red Hill or Red Range), a little town in the province of Río Negro, which itself has another of this type of name: Black River.

I also like indigenous names. We have quite a bunch over here. Especially names of towns:
Bariloche (from Mapuche, "from beyond the mountains")
Tandil (from Mapuche, something about a stone, but I don't remember now).
Chivilcoy
Cutral Có
Neuquén
Chubut
Catamarca
Ushuaia (from Yamana)
Trenque Lauquen (from Mapuche, "Great Lagoon" or "Group of Lagoons")
Chapadmalal (from Mapuche)

I could go on and on, but I'll stop and come back another day.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of the eight largest cities in Canada:

Four have British names:

Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Hamilton

Three have aboriginal names:

Ottawa
Québec
Winnipeg

And one has a French name:

Montréal
Isn't Toronto an aboriginal name too?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're right. I had a brain cramp and somehow thought it was named for someone's daughter in British royalty, sort of like Alberta was.

Although... Manitoba's a bit of an odd name for a British girl...
Indeed, unlike the other aboriginal named provinces, the province of Manitoba has it's name because the actual aboriginals and Metis wanted it to have an Aboriginal name, to reflect it's purpose and identity as their recognized homeland in the federation. Unfortunately for them, it's actual destiny ended up being quite different indeed.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:04 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Isn't Toronto an aboriginal name too?
Yes - I forgot it. And it's the biggest city!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'll give a few for the places I've lived:

San Francisco is indirectly named for St. Francis. The city's original name was Yerba Buena. The bay was actually named San Francisco before the city was and it was from the bay that the city took it's name. Berkeley was named for a British poet, George Berkeley and Berkley Mass. was named for him as well but was misspelled. the city I currently live in, Chula Vista means something like, "nice view". Seattle was named for the Indian chief Seathl and anglicized.

In Seattle, most surrounding areas are native names such as Tacoma, Tahoma, Snohomish, Duwamish, Nisqually and Spanaway which became anglicized from Spanueh.

Around San Francisco, there is a mixture of Spanish as well as east coast names. Spanish include: San Bruno, Milpitas, El Cerrito, Alameda, San Pablo, and many others. Cities like Albany, Richmond and Pittsburg were named after the cities in the east. And yes, in the CA version the H was intentionally dropped from Pittsburgh. El Cerrito means "the little hill" and is in reference to the Albany hill, a random small hill sitting there not far from the bay shore. Alameda is apparently a grove of poplar trees.

In the San Diego area, almost all names of surrounding areas are Spanish: Chula Vista, El cajon, La Mesa, Encinitas, Escondido etc. with a few that aren't. El Cajon means "the box". the city mostly sits in a flat shallow valley. La Mesa is quite likely named for Mt. Helix which from certain angles look flat on top like the mesas of the deserts. Escondido means "hidden". It's in a valley surrounded by steep mountains. No one I know has any clue what Encinitas means.
San Francisco is DIRECTLY named for Saint Francis of Asis, the mission founded there by Father Serra. Yerba Buena - the name for mint - comes from the herb growing in the area and was then transferred to the small pueblo built on the edge of the bay where the creek entered.

An Encino is a small live oak that loses its leaves in the fall as opposed to a Robles, the live oak that keeps its leaves all year. Encinitas means a grove of the small live oak trees that grew in the area when Governor Portola' and Father Crespi' explored the region in 1769.

It is a very simple matter of taking the various towns and cities and doing a search on Wikipedia. They all have a history that explains the names.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
San Francisco is DIRECTLY named for Saint Francis of Asis, the mission founded there by Father Serra. Yerba Buena - the name for mint - comes from the herb growing in the area and was then transferred to the small pueblo built on the edge of the bay where the creek entered.

An Encino is a small live oak that loses its leaves in the fall as opposed to a Robles, the live oak that keeps its leaves all year. Encinitas means a grove of the small live oak trees that grew in the area when Governor Portola' and Father Crespi' explored the region in 1769.

It is a very simple matter of taking the various towns and cities and doing a search on Wikipedia. They all have a history that explains the names.
Thanks for the Encinitas update.

having grown up across from San Francisco, we will agree to disagree on that one and leave it at that.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Here in Brazil, many places have indigenous names, mostly from the Tupi language.

The state where I live, Ceará, has an indigenous name. The exact meaning of the word is disputed.

The capital city of the state, where I live, is named Fortaleza, and that is not an indigenous name, it's the Portuguese for "fortress", since the city originated around a fortress.

Many places with indigenous names in Brazil have the particle "Ita" as part of the name: Itapipoca, Itapajé, Itarema, Itaparica, Itacaré. "Ita" means "stone" or "rock" in the Tupi language.

Also, many place names of indigenous origin in Brazil have the sufix "açu" or "assu": Igarassu, Iguaçu. "Açu" means "big" or "large", in the Tupi language.

And many place names of indigenous origin have the sufix "mirim": Mogi-Mirim, Guajará-Mirim. "Mirim" means "little" or "small", in the Tupi language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World