Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most people in El Salvador are not in a gang. You have no basis on which to base your claim. Curious how you also left out South Korea and Japan, 2 countries where the pressure to conform to the group is among the strongest in the world. I know you're an Asiaphile to the extreme, but literally in every list you make the whole world sucks except for Scandinavia, Thailand, Japan, and Korea.
I never said that most people in El Savaldor are in a gang.
I said that they have the most gangs per capita in the world.

Define "Asiaphile"? I despise pretty much the entire Western half of the continent.

Dogs are still eaten in Korea and Scandinavia's average temperatures suck. There i said something negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
To be a loner in Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norway is actually not the easiest thing if you move into a small rural area. There is still some kind of sense of community, and people will notice and maybe talk to you even if you seem to be asocial. In a city like Stockholm or Helsinki you can pretty much die and rot away before anyone takes notice, and even only then when the odor of your decaying corpse starts to reek too much.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:07 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
To be a loner in Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norway is actually not the easiest thing if you move into a small rural area. There is still some kind of sense of community, and people will notice and maybe talk to you even if you seem to be asocial. In a city like Stockholm or Helsinki you can pretty much die and rot away before anyone takes notice, and even only then when the odor of your decaying corpse starts to reek too much.
Yes, most loners do not want to be recognised and that is impossible in most towns and villages. In Oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen there are enough people to go more or less unnoticed. Reykjavík is too small, I think.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
In a city like Stockholm or Helsinki you can pretty much die and rot away before anyone takes notice, and even only then when the odor of your decaying corpse starts to reek too much.
I think that's the case in all big cities.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:23 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think that's the case in all big cities.
Most likely in some sense, but it happens here too sometimes that neighbours call the cops when they haven't seen them in a long time. In countries where you know at least your neighbour's first name I guess that you become worried earlier. Or even start to greet your neighbour when you realise after two months that this one lives here.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:54 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Most likely in some sense, but it happens here too sometimes that neighbours call the cops when they haven't seen them in a long time. In countries where you know at least your neighbour's first name I guess that you become worried earlier. Or even start to greet your neighbour when you realise after two months that this one lives here.
Very true, some cities have communities that are more well-knit and connected. Here in Arizona he neighbors rarely socialize with each other let alone each orher's names, and this behavior is reflected in the rest of the Western U.S from my experiences. It appears that a lot of the East has neighborhoods that the neighbors know what church you do or do not attend, what age your kids are and what grade, invite you to barbecues, etc. I'm sure that in Europe some countries have behaviors that may be more similar to the Eastern US or in contrast the Western US. This I wouldn't be able to tell anyone, but big cities in the Western US are the go-to if looking for an American option. Not sure on Europe.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
France is an awful country to be a loner. I remember as a young guy a period when I was quite a loner, it was one of the worst experiences I ever had. During that same years, I traveled alone to other countries (the UK, NL, Spain, the US) and it was much easier to get by as a loner.In Germany however it was not that easy sometimes (better than France though).
It's due to the fact that French people are extremely indivdualistic, not gregarious.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
England

Old 11-06-2016, 04:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast187 View Post
I really think the UK was a great place to be a loner. Bad weather usually kept people inside their house a lot. I believe the weather really affects people's moods. Since the UK was cloudy all the time, It probably affected them.
Add short daylight hours to the list.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
Definitely not the Philippines or Southeast Asian societies for sure! When I go on out of town trips, people ask if I got company tagging along! And when I eat out, I rarely see people eating alone and stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World