Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM

872 posts, read 1,387,481 times

Advertisements

I originally posted this in a previous London vs New York thread in another forum, just for the entertainment value. I guess it's apt here too given that we're discussing the merits of early modern mid-rise (in part high rise) environments compared to more architecturally/culturally-nuanced urban zones.

Try running all 6 videos at once for a comparative video mosaic of both downtown areas. New York on the left. London on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Pre-buffering them all, then running your browser in full screen may help. Probably not recommended for mobile devices.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 11-26-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:14 AM

165 posts, read 277,750 times
Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Beijin, London, Tokyo and Dubai got New York beat. New York rein in America, not the world.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,842,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
Hong Kong, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Beijin, London, Tokyo and Dubai got New York beat. New York rein in America, not the world.
Seriously? Dubai isn't anywhere close to NY.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM

571 posts, read 1,176,663 times
Yeah, Dubai - despite its monuments to wealth - is about the size of one of of the Boroughs of NY. Not comparable. While the other cities may have comparable populations, I feel that NYC could be considered the unofficial capitol of the world because of its international populace and influence.

I'm surprised to see people saying how 'gritty' and 'dirty' it is. I'm from Seattle, a city considered to be very clean and modern, and I thought NYC was just as clean. Sure, the subways were definitely gritty but they're getting used extensively so that's understandable. I stayed in Harlem and walked all over - I was impressed with the lack of garbage, homeless, and graffiti. The city government is doing a great job. NYC is definitely on another level. I made my first trip to Chicago this summer and even it was just nowhere near the scale of NY. It is truly and amazing city.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Yeah, Dubai - despite its monuments to wealth - is about the size of one of of the Boroughs of NY. Not comparable. While the other cities may have comparable populations, I feel that NYC could be considered the unofficial capitol of the world because of its international populace and influence.

I'm surprised to see people saying how 'gritty' and 'dirty' it is. I'm from Seattle, a city considered to be very clean and modern, and I thought NYC was just as clean. Sure, the subways were definitely gritty but they're getting used extensively so that's understandable. I stayed in Harlem and walked all over - I was impressed with the lack of garbage, homeless, and graffiti. The city government is doing a great job. NYC is definitely on another level. I made my first trip to Chicago this summer and even it was just nowhere near the scale of NY. It is truly and amazing city.
Yeah, it's only dirty if you compare it with, I don't know, some of the more sterile cities. I did see rats in the subway, but other than parts of Chinatown didn't find it really dirty at all.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM

242 posts, read 369,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sour cream View Post
I wont even waste my time on this guy.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah, it's only dirty if you compare it with, I don't know, some of the more sterile cities. I did see rats in the subway, but other than parts of Chinatown didn't find it really dirty at all.
NYC is pretty dirty, I was in NYC for like 3 months studying, and I do remember sitting at a little park in Manhattan and I kept noticing all these holes into the ground next to me, all of sudden rats just started coming out and going into different holes, it was nuts...

Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync3 View Post
NYC is pretty dirty, I was in NYC for like 3 months studying, and I do remember sitting at a little park in Manhattan and I kept noticing all these holes into the ground next to me, all of sudden rats just started coming out and going into different holes, it was nuts...
I guess if you notice those things. I've been to a lot dirtier places so it's not something i noticed. I was just staring up at the skyscrapers and all around me.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I guess if you notice those things. I've been to a lot dirtier places so it's not something i noticed. I was just staring up at the skyscrapers and all around me.
Well I was sitting down eating one of the best gyros I ever had.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,883,528 times
The majority of "global citizens" who flock to NYC are poor immigrants who live 3 families to a house in the enclaves. They work menial jobs like busboys, taxi drivers, deliverymen, etc. and eventually aspire to become doormen at high end buildings. Maybe they will qualify for Section 8. That's your city of the world. It's been that way for centuries first with the Irish and Italians, then Latinos and now the poor from elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World