Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,210,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I guess if you notice those things. I've been to a lot dirtier places so it's not something i noticed. I was just staring up at the skyscrapers and all around me.
I love the references to how "gritty," New York is...ha, both the city and the people are as smooth and soft as a baby's ass compared to the city in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Postman, you would have fit in then with the your comment above. I used to eat lunch on the park benches in Bryant Park behind the main Library on Fifth Ave., and the ground cover ivy was alive with rustling...and every day one or two of those big numbers would come stepping out of the undergrowth and waddle over to the trash baskets for a snack while I was there. People just kept right on walking along, or reading...I mean, the rat, the cockroach and the pigeon were our sacred totems.

Ah, for the good ol' days in New Yorkers respected nature and lived happily with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,817,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I love the references to how "gritty," New York is...ha, both the city and the people are as smooth and soft as a baby's ass compared to the city in the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Postman, you would have fit in then with the your comment above. I used to eat lunch on the park benches in Bryant Park behind the main Library on Fifth Ave., and the ground cover ivy was alive with rustling...and every day one or two of those big numbers would come stepping out of the undergrowth and waddle over to the trash baskets for a snack while I was there. People just kept right on walking along, or reading...I mean, the rat, the cockroach and the pigeon were our sacred totems.

Ah, for the good ol' days in New Yorkers respected nature and lived happily with it.
I saw a few in the subway, but surprisingly none of the streets. Did see quite a few squirrels in Central Park though.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:43 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,872,802 times
My coworkers who did a volunteer day gardening at Battery Park could not get over the large number of rats jumping out of their burrows. They're everywhere but particularly rampant in upper and lower Manhattan (not to mention Brooklyn and the Bronx). Majority of the population in NYC - literally the numerical majority - are poor, especially immigrants, and live in less sanitary conditions but this is sensitized from tourists by public/subsidized housing and food stamps.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,817,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
My coworkers who did a volunteer day gardening at Battery Park could not get over the large number of rats jumping out of their burrows. They're everywhere but particularly rampant in upper and lower Manhattan (not to mention Brooklyn and the Bronx). Majority of the population in NYC - literally the numerical majority - are poor, especially immigrants, and live in less sanitary conditions but this is sensitized from tourists by public/subsidized housing and food stamps.
Majority? I hardly think so.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM

/\/\

YES! The majority of the population is either only slightly above or below the poverty line. And majority of immigrants who come and live there are poor. Have you heard of Brownsville? East New York? Morrissania? Tremont Ave.? Corona? East Elmhurst? People who live there are New Yorkers also and they outnumber the ones who live in Central Park East.

Note also that some of the "hip" places in Manhattan contain housing projects as well as accept Section 8.

There's a lot more to NYC than Central Park.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
There is a lot more to NYC than the skyscrapers of midtown and downtown. Hell, where I lived, the subway was an elevated train.

To most people NYC = the southern 2/3 of Manhattan Island which they assume characterizes not only the whole city, but an area the size of England.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There is a lot more to NYC than the skyscrapers of midtown and downtown. Hell, where I lived, the subway was an elevated train.
Correct. Looks like some people could use a pleasant ride on the JMZ from Jamaica, and get off at Cypress Hills and take a lovely stroll to Brownsville on a nice spring day.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM

242 posts, read 369,109 times
Quote:
/\/\

YES! The majority of the population is either only slightly above or below the poverty line. And majority of immigrants who come and live there are poor. Have you heard of Brownsville? East New York? Morrissania? Tremont Ave.? Corona? East Elmhurst? People who live there are New Yorkers also and they outnumber the ones who live in Central Park East.

Note also that some of the "hip" places in Manhattan contain housing projects as well as accept Section 8.

There's a lot more to NYC than Central Park.
Ohhhh immigrants, even for immigrants I doubt most of them are poor, if you can make it in NYC you can seriously make it anywhere, its very hard living there, its extremely stressful.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Yes, most of the immigrants are poor especially the working poor who are consigned to low wage jobs with no benefits.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:39 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Correct. Looks like some people could use a pleasant ride on the JMZ from Jamaica, and get off at Cypress Hills and take a lovely stroll to Brownsville on a nice spring day.
I like Cypress Hills. It can actually be somewhat pleasant.

Not so much Brownsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World