Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

It pretty much just shows how much the Chinese push their kids, probably too much. It goes for everything, from maths, reading, to gymnastics. From a young age they select kids who have potential and they have to train 6-8 hours a day, every way, until they compete in the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM

825 posts, read 1,034,663 times
Too many blondes

Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I am still stuck on how 'tree-huggers' is a synonym for 'communists, peacemakers, etc'.

OP, you make little sense. I take it you were educated in Sweden. It shows up in your writing and rhetorical style.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Too many blondes
LOL

And since black is so different, maybe that's why the black-haired are so smart...

Old 12-05-2013, 11:59 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
They switched the books in the schools to picture-books because they didn't want to offend the kids that couldn't read.
Let me guess, these books are made by Ikea?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Mhm... I don't trust this study anymore.

Back in 2009 everybody was like "Oh my god, we suck, we have to change everything!". Turned out that the political parties couldn't agree on anything, so nothing changed. Nevertheless we improved significantly (from really bad to still quite bad).

Also, after visiting Shanghai for a while, I really doubt that the average kid there receives the education necessary to achieve that score. I'm pretty sure they fixed the numbers. Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan? That seems plausible. But Shanghai? Never ever.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Mhm... I don't trust this study anymore.

Back in 2009 everybody was like "Oh my god, we suck, we have to change everything!". Turned out that the political parties couldn't agree on anything, so nothing changed. Nevertheless we improved significantly (from really bad to still quite bad).

Also, after visiting Shanghai for a while, I really doubt that the average kid there receives the education necessary to achieve that score. I'm pretty sure they fixed the numbers. Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan? That seems plausible. But Shanghai? Never ever.
Shanghai is the representative of mainland China. They don't even test the pupils that are studying in Hebei or Xinjiang. Who knows what schools they've even tested and who was allowed to send the results. It's just another piece of the Chinese propaganda machine.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM

354 posts, read 682,000 times
We've been getting lots of press about this lol. While it for sure isn't good I think they're over reacting a bit. But Swedes always do when it comes to these things :P

Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
......Now, will all of you tree-huggers realize that Sweden is not a role-model to look up to?
Hmmmm ...... looking at those top ten countries ...... it seems to me that not very many of them are conservative. However it's definitely true that China doesn't have many tree-hugging environmental activists.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Shanghai is the representative of mainland China. They don't even test the pupils that are studying in Hebei or Xinjiang. Who knows what schools they've even tested and who was allowed to send the results. It's just another piece of the Chinese propaganda machine.
Hebei kids are much better testers than Shanghai kids, as the gaokao (college entrance exams) showed.
However, Shanghai definitely has better schools.

In China, different provinces have different admissions lines for colleges. The lowest are usually found in Tibet, Beijing and Shanghai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World