Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times

Advertisements

Sweden and Norway, much more so than Canada and the US.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-11-2013 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
it's like that in most countries outside the US. See in the US, if you got a ticket, you could argue that the sign didn't SAY yield or do not enter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INsync33 View Post
So true they try and use any excuse they can, if they get a ticket for speeding they could argue saying they were trying to merge and couldn't so they sped up.
That argument would not, never has, and never will work regardless of whether a sign has words or not.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM

14,642 posts, read 14,734,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude 80 View Post
OP is correct. Canada and the USA looks and feels overall the same. However, there are still some differences (government, currency & bilingualism and the French in Quebec).

On google map and even in real life both nations looks the same and hard to tell the difference. However, in Canada they usually have single yellow line painted on the roads vs. double yellow line in the U.S., also no text on Canadian 'Do not enter' & 'Yield' sign. Funny but easy to notice
I don't think so. There are some striking climate and geographical differences between Canada and USA. Canada gets a great deal more fresh water and has literally millions more lakes while USA has many more deserts, badlands and wasteland areas. Geographically the only area of the North American continent where the 2 countries look basically the same as their longitudinal counterparts is within the latitudinal strip between the 48th to 51st parallels.

The people in both countries live their lives and have cultures in accordance with and to accomodate the climatic and geographical environments that they dwell in.

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-11-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 07:52 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,669,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. There are some striking climate and geographical differences between Canada and USA. Canada gets a great deal more fresh water and has literally millions more lakes while USA has many more deserts, badlands and wasteland areas. Geographically the only area of the North American continent where the 2 countries look basically the same as their longitudinal counterparts is within the latitudinal strip between the 48th to 51st parallels.

The people in both countries live their lives and have cultures in accordance with and to accomodate the climatic and geographical environments that they dwell in.

Keep in mind most Canadians live within about 100 miles of the American border, so the climate, landscape etc would be similar. Vancouver like seattle, Winnipeg like Minneapolis, toronto like buffalo, montreal like Vermont etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That argument would not, never has, and never will work regardless of whether a sign has words or not.
Depends where you are I guess. In California it would.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Keep in mind most Canadians live within about 100 miles of the American border, so the climate, landscape etc would be similar. Vancouver like seattle, Winnipeg like Minneapolis, toronto like buffalo, montreal like Vermont etc.
I was going to say, of course comparing the extremes would make them look vastly different but within a couple of hundred miles on either side of the border, they're going to be very similar. the climate doesn't just suddenly change once you cross that imaginary line. Also, I though this thread was about being CULTURALLY similar? people keep bringing up political systems and climate

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,669,658 times
Quote:
I was going to say, of course comparing the extremes would make them look vastly different but within a couple of hundred miles on either side of the border, they're going to be very similar. the climate doesn't just suddenly change once you cross that imaginary line. Also, I though this thread was about being CULTURALLY similar? people keep bringing up political systems and climate
Exactly. Plus as for continuation, the prairies and Rockies don't just stop once you cross the border. Politics does influence culture, but I know what you mean. Ever the two Koreas, for instance, are still culturally similar despite vastly different political systems.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:53 AM

4,654 posts, read 4,569,531 times
Algerians,tunisians,moroccans are similar

Old 12-21-2013, 03:10 PM

14,642 posts, read 14,734,000 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Exactly. Plus as for continuation, the prairies and Rockies don't just stop once you cross the border. Politics does influence culture, but I know what you mean. Ever the two Koreas, for instance, are still culturally similar despite vastly different political systems.
So are you saying you think that climate and geography do not effect culture?

Forget about what's within a couple hundred miles on either side of the border. That is not where the entire population of both countries live. The further away from the border, the greater the differences become in culture because of distance, politics, climate and geography.

I'd like to know what is your definition of 'culture'?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:21 PM

490 posts, read 2,232,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So are you saying you think that climate and geography do not effect culture?

Forget about what's within a couple hundred miles on either side of the border. That is not where the entire population of both countries live. The further away from the border, the greater the differences become in culture because of distance, politics, climate and geography.

I'd like to know what is your definition of 'culture'?

That's correct! I agree and yes I think there would be lots of Similarities between say Chicago and Toronto, Seattle and Vancouver (or even San Francisco and Vancouver), and a few other places. Sure there are differences like Vancouver is more of a popular tourist destination, while in Seattle that's where many of the large corporations are (Starbucks, Microsoft, etc), but there are still similarities. There will be big differences between Calgary or Winnipeg (whatever is the northernmost city) and say, Miami. There will also be humongous differences between rural Texas/the rural south and the most liberal/progressive place in Canada. They will be like two different countries. Heck in that case, I want to say even WITHIN the US it would be different. I think Texas and Massachusetts must be like worlds apart, yet they are part of the same country.

What I was trying to get at was about the comparison between the Northern US and Southern Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World