Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 05:38 PM

428 posts, read 450,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
How long have the Inuit been living in the the Arctic in Canada? You seem to be using a higher population as justification that there hasn't been tandem settlement, shared histories and ultimately shared development.. Yes 90 percent of Canada's population lives close to the U.S border - even more of a reason for shared development and history over time...

You obviously know about this linkage between the two right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad

The two nations have extraordinary links to one another both historically and for a long time over the course of history up until present day....
Being linked isn't the same as developing in tandem, which is what claimed before. I don't think anyone in this thread has said that the two countries aren't linked. You are switching your claims now that you've been proven wrong! Are you not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
It wasn't always that way, and it doesn't go both ways. That's what makes it copycatting.
Yep. When I'm in the US I don't think I've ever found any tidbits of Canadian culture there. This is Minnesota I'm going to too. The thing Hobbes is that this is an emotional subject for a lot of Canadians even when the evidence is overwhelming. I happen to be more blunt than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 05:41 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regalsin View Post
canada is just the united states without civil-rights issues and is part of the common wealth. Again canada is still part of the british empire, and follows laws inside of it. .
nothing wrong with that! Many nations in the world do!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law

Canada was one of the first nations to allow gays to serve in the military and also one of the first to allow coast to coast to coast gay marriage - pretty nifty eh?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Being linked isn't the same as developing in tandem, which is what claimed before. I don't think anyone in this thread has said that the two countries aren't linked. You are switching your claims now that you've been proven wrong! Are you not?

Yep. When I'm in the US I don't think I've ever found any tidbits of Canadian culture there. This is Minnesota I'm going to too. The thing Hobbes is that this is an emotional subject for a lot of Canadians even when the evidence is overwhelming. I happen to be more blunt than others.
I disagree with your premise I've been proven wrong - I see a lot of historical tandem development throughout both lands.. I'm not shifting claims either - I think the nations are very linked historically and yes this contributes to tandem development over time. This isn't to say they are completely parallel - heck both went different paths as history shows. Excuse me as a Canadian if it doesn't fall so neatly into place for either me or most of the nation.

What I won't dispute - especially in modern times is influence and greater cultural influence with the U.S over Canada but even with that influence - yes there are absolutely differences.. As for this being emotional - I don't think so, I think its more a matter of many Canadians not acquiescing to the narrative that we are not different from Americans even though obviously much is shared, there is also much that is different. Your narrative is to highlight same - or to propagate Canadians being 'copycats' - this falls neatly into place for some.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
ive been to canada a few times and while its a very nice country , it really doesnt seem like a different country.
much of it has a very midwest feel to it, its only when you look at the money do you realize you're in a different country.I dont think there is any other two countries that are that similar in looks.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 AM

56 posts, read 419,088 times
Id say Australia and New Zealand

Old 07-11-2015, 10:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
IMO Argentina and Uruguay are the most similar countries.

Canadians have a different worldview vs Americans. Also, the diversity of their cultures is very different. The US has its historical Black and Hispanic elements, and Canada has French and other cultural elements.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Canadians have a different worldview vs Americans. Also, the diversity of their cultures is very different. The US has its historical Black and Hispanic elements, and Canada has French and other cultural elements.
The US has French elements too as well as significant German ones. I think what is meant are the overall cultural share each country currently shares.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

How are Canadians worldview different from Americans? or anyone else in the developed world?

Old 07-11-2015, 01:42 PM

428 posts, read 450,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The US has French elements too as well as significant German ones. I think what is meant are the overall cultural share each country currently shares.
1/4 Canadians speak French and go to work in French, watch TV in French and live as closely to a French (France) lifestyle as an American one. America has what, 0.3% of the population that natively speaks French, including immigrants? It isn't remotely comparable to Canada. When people compare Canada to the US you seem to conveniently forget that Canada has a huge chunk that is French speaking and compeltely different culturally and only compare Canada to US border states. What is the Canadian Hawaii? Virginia? Kentucky? Arizona? Florida? Santa Fe? Puerto Rico?

The only reason why people here think the US and Canada are so similar is because this forum is from a mostly US/Eurocentric point of view. Are you really going to say that Canada/US are more similar than Australia/NZ, Panama/Colombia, Argentina/Uruguay, Ecuador/Peru, Belgium/Netherlands, England/Scotland, Poland/Czech, N. Korea/S. Korea, India/Pakistan, and so on?

There are dozens and dozens of countries that are obviously more similar than the US/Canada and dozens of others that are equally similar. Canada and the US are no more similar than the Netherlands/Belgium. Yep, lots of Canadians are Americanized and the pop culture consumed is often American, but you have to understand that Canadians who go to the US are actively trying to blend in. The Canadian actors on TV take speech courses to suppress their accent and sound more American. Canada is actually a very different country from the US even if you take out Quebec and the US south.

Canada: -head of state is an unelected monarch who owns Canada by birthright
- majority Catholic
- 1/4 French (yes, REALLY French, not Louisiana "French")
- Bilingual (French/English)
- very few black people (including immigrants), even fewer hispanics
- independence in 1982 when British empire granted it
- People demand MORE government when there are problems in the country
- entire country is cold, continental and subarctic climates
- country was virtually entirely white until very recently, african-american influence is totally foreign

US:
- head of state is a democratically elected president
- majority protestant
- English speaking
- Large native black population, big hispanic presence
- independence in 1776 after defeating British empire
- People demand LESS government when there are problems in the country (this is a really big difference)
- country has a diverse array of climates: desert, tropical, arctic, subtropical, etc,
- country has a huge influence from historical influence of african-americans (jazz, rock n roll, hip hop, athletics, etc)

- Climates:

If you want to see how "Canadian" Americans are, ask the next American you come across if you think the person running your country should be elected with 38%. 38% is about the most that any prime minister has ever gotten. I guarantee most Americans would say heck no to that. Ask any American if they think their taxes should fund the biggest news channel. Most Americans would say not a chance.

Typical Americans? You tell me how typically American this is?

https://youtu.be/_ircuNoms-A?t=1m38s

Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
1/4 Canadians speak French and go to work in French, watch TV in French and live as closely to a French (France) lifestyle as an American one. America has what, 0.3% of the population that natively speaks French, including immigrants? It isn't remotely comparable to Canada. When people compare Canada to the US you seem to conveniently forget that Canada has a huge chunk that is French speaking and compeltely different culturally and only compare Canada to US border states. What is the Canadian Hawaii? Virginia? Kentucky? Arizona? Florida? Santa Fe? Puerto Rico?

The only reason why people here think the US and Canada are so similar is because this forum is from a mostly US/Eurocentric point of view. Are you really going to say that Canada/US are more similar than Australia/NZ, Panama/Colombia, Argentina/Uruguay, Ecuador/Peru, Belgium/Netherlands, England/Scotland, Poland/Czech, N. Korea/S. Korea, India/Pakistan, and so on?

There are dozens and dozens of countries that are obviously more similar than the US/Canada and dozens of others that are equally similar. Canada and the US are no more similar than the Netherlands/Belgium. Yep, lots of Canadians are Americanized and the pop culture consumed is often American, but you have to understand that Canadians who go to the US are actively trying to blend in. The Canadian actors on TV take speech courses to suppress their accent and sound more American. Canada is actually a very different country from the US even if you take out Quebec and the US south.

Canada: -head of state is an unelected monarch who owns Canada by birthright
- majority Catholic
- 1/4 French (yes, REALLY French, not Louisiana "French")
- Bilingual (French/English)
- very few black people (including immigrants), even fewer hispanics
- independence in 1982 when British empire granted it
- People demand MORE government when there are problems in the country
- entire country is cold, continental and subarctic climates
- country was virtually entirely white until very recently, african-american influence is totally foreign

US:
- head of state is a democratically elected president
- majority protestant
- English speaking
- Large native black population, big hispanic presence
- independence in 1776 after defeating British empire
- People demand LESS government when there are problems in the country (this is a really big difference)
- country has a diverse array of climates: desert, tropical, arctic, subtropical, etc,
- country has a huge influence from historical influence of african-americans (jazz, rock n roll, hip hop, athletics, etc)

- Climates:

If you want to see how "Canadian" Americans are, ask the next American you come across if you think the person running your country should be elected with 38%. 38% is about the most that any prime minister has ever gotten. I guarantee most Americans would say heck no to that. Ask any American if they think their taxes should fund the biggest news channel. Most Americans would say not a chance.

Typical Americans? You tell me how typically American this is?

https://youtu.be/_ircuNoms-A?t=1m38s
Defensive much?
Quote:
Meaning that of course there are differences, I've said this myself in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World