Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 22,554 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm not sure if my topic fits so well here but I'd love to hear your experiences.

During university I lived in a European city (not in my home country)- I lived there for many years and I really feel home there, I know the city extremly well and still have a lot of friends there (and my parents live in the neighbor country so I always visit them as well).
1.5 years ago I moved to a South American city for my boyfriend who lives there, and at first I really hated it and constantly missed Europe. Now I actually like that South American city I live in, I just needed some time to get used to it since it's so different from what I'm used to. I even started to appreciate things and think that some things are better than in Europe. Still, I often miss Europe and think about the city I used to live in.

But- Last time I actually visited that city in summer and now again (I'm right now visiting Europe) I do enjoy the city, but now it's the South American city I live in which I miss. It's really strange. I always seem to miss the city I am not in at that moment. It kinda sucks because I don't wanna constantly miss something I don't have at that moment.

Does anyone feel the same? Like did you maybe move to a city (or even different country) for work and you miss for example your hometown and every time you're in your hometown you miss the city you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
I can to some extent understand how you feel. However, I don't really have a hometown. I was born in a certain city in country A, but my family was from a different linguistic and cultural background in the same country, so we were always treated as outsiders. Then we moved to country B when I was 8, a very racially divided country. That never felt like home either. When I was 18, I moved to country C. I married someone from country D when I was 25. I spend my working days in country C and holidays divided between A, B and D. As you can imagine, I struggle every day to determine what home is for me. Wherever I am, I crave to be somewhere else. No place is perfect.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:42 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,175 times
Someone should create an idiom to reflect this phenomenon. Maybe something about grass, and it's relative greenness depending on which 'side' the beholder finds themselves on.

There I go ahead, me and my lawn-related idiom propositions. Must be Thursday.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
You sound like you have the same thing I do. When I first move to a new place, I am terribly homesick. I never have the so-called honeymoon phase of traveling. However, once I get used to a place, I fall in love and feel loyal to it. It makes moving around almost physically painful, but the more I do it, the more I realize home can be anywhere. Don't regret the move, just be grateful you had the experience in the first place. Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World