U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:56 AM

670 posts, read 731,038 times

Advertisements

Here we have McDonalds, Coca-Cola, American movies are popular (though I personally dislike most of them), American, or rather English-language music is common, English language is gradually growing in popularity (though most people don't speak it or aren't fluent).
Besides, US dollar is the currency that we often use for saving up, and for measuring prices and our salaries... and so on.
"American" sports like baseball or American football are not popular here. Neither are holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving day etc, even though some people may celebrate them.
I think this kind of "creeping" Americanization is observed pretty much everywhere in the world, maybe to different degrees and except the least developed places in Africa, Asia etc.
BTW I often think like that: if you want to make some thing popular in the whole world, first you should make it popular in America. Let's take the foods for example: sushi, pizza are not American by origin, but I guess that first they gained popularity in the US and only then became as widespread everywhere as they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,153,495 times
Are there people here familiar with the situation in Ecuador, precisely the (negative?) influence the growing number of North Americans expats have on the local society, for instance in such regions as the valley of Cuenca ?
I've just stumbled upon an intriguing (and extremely well written) blog of an Australian woman who gives an apocalyptic description of life in the more and more americanized "valley of the [so-called] centenarians":
Evilcabamba Diary 1 | Passionfruitcowgirl

Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 AM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
The Americanization of the whole world is a fact.

Take the world as it was in 1950 and compare how it is now, and you will see how almost every single country in the world has adopted many aspects of the American culture in the past 60 years.

The whole world watches American movies, American TV series, and listens to American music.

People in the whole world eat hot dogs and drink Coca Cola. Even in China.

It doesn't mean that the local cultures have disappeared, but there is no way to deny the strong American cultural influence in the whole world.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM

11,739 posts, read 8,303,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm sitting in front of a walmart right now for the wifi. A lot of mouthbreathers walking around.
Sounds like nasal issues.

btw, who the hell sits in front of a WalMart for the wifi?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:46 AM

501 posts, read 461,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The whole world watches American movies, American TV series, and listens to American music.

People in the whole world eat hot dogs and drink Coca Cola. Even in China.

It doesn't mean that the local cultures have disappeared, but there is no way to deny the strong American cultural influence in the whole world.
That is true of many cultures though. I have lived and traveled quite a bit around Europe and Asia and pretty much everywhere has sushi restaurants and japanese cartoons/manga and sony playstations. Is that the Japanization of the world? Tea is very popular in most parts of the world too, is that the South-East-Asianzation of the world? French and Italian companies still dominate the fashion industry around the world, etc.

I don't think that enjoying products from another country means your country is becoming more like the other one. I think it has to get to the point where those products or cultural aspects have pretty much pushed out local variants (like western style of clothes has really replaced local styles in many parts of the world), and like you said it hasn't replaced local culture yet.

And hot dogs are originally from Germany

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Sounds like nasal issues.

btw, who the hell sits in front of a WalMart for the wifi?
I work down the street from it and surf the web on my longer breaks.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM

2,566 posts, read 4,653,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
That is true of many cultures though. I have lived and traveled quite a bit around Europe and Asia and pretty much everywhere has sushi restaurants and japanese cartoons/manga and sony playstations. Is that the Japanization of the world? Tea is very popular in most parts of the world too, is that the South-East-Asianzation of the world? French and Italian companies still dominate the fashion industry around the world, etc.

I don't think that enjoying products from another country means your country is becoming more like the other one. I think it has to get to the point where those products or cultural aspects have pretty much pushed out local variants (like western style of clothes has really replaced local styles in many parts of the world), and like you said it hasn't replaced local culture yet.

And hot dogs are originally from Germany

You have a point here, but remember that Japanese anime/manga are not even closely as popular in the world as Hollywood movies and American pop music are.

90% of the world population knows who was Michael Jackson, and knows what Batman is.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,091,062 times
How sad you are op.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
How sad you are op.
I know I've done such a horrible thing

Old 12-18-2013, 10:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,241,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
You have a point here, but remember that Japanese anime/manga are not even closely as popular in the world as Hollywood movies and American pop music are.

90% of the world population knows who was Michael Jackson, and knows what Batman is.
I wouldn't be so sure. I did a google search and found Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber are the most searched people of all...500,000,000 hits compared to 129 million for Jesus and 32 million for the Beatles!

Anime is definitely a force - a global force - even if it's sorta still semi-niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or