Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,778,959 times

Advertisements

Nissin Foods expands instant noodle business in China - AJW by The Asahi Shimbun

Add that to the list of things to never eat. (For me.)

Never will know if it is safe or not.

Japanese noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some I like. From Korea and Japan. Nissin lost my vote.

Nong Shim. Who knows?

China recalls Nongshim instant noodles - Business News - SINA English

I probably eat a pack or less per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
Irony of China, pulling food made in Korea for having cancer causing materials...

Old 12-22-2013, 01:53 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,722,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Japanese noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some I like. From Korea and Japan. Nissin lost my vote.

Nong Shim. Who knows?

I probably eat a pack or less per month.
I usually buy the Japanese noodle that is popular in the USA - Maruchan. Apparently, there are plants in the USA that produce the noodle. Maruchan Ramen Noodles | Maruchan Instant Lunch | Ramen recipes - Japanese ramen noodles

Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Irony of China, pulling food made in Korea for having cancer causing materials...
A few months ago, they were banning milk imports from New Zealand.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,512,231 times
Luckily we have a Chinese noddle factory here where I live that makes fresh noddles for many restuarants here in NorCal. You can walk right in a buy as many pounds of fresh made that day noodles, many different types. Been in business since the early 1900's.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
In Hawai'i, many supermarkets have a whole section for dried noodles, including Nissin, which invented the "instant noodles" category, all the way up to shelf-stable premium soft noodles, as individual packs and as full cases.

By far the best, however are the fresh noodles we call Saimin, that are a cross between Japanese and Chinese ramen soup noodles. They can usually be found in a cooler near the produce section. A bowl of saimin, like a bowl of ramen, or a bowl of Pho, is a whole meal, with a rich stock, and assorted bite sized bits of meat, vegetables, egg, fish.

If I have a hankering for noodles, and don't have saimin on hand, I'll reach for the Nissin instant noodles I always have in the pantry. I may not use the soup base, because I usually have fresh stock available, but the noodles are consistent and heat up quickly, so they're a handy staple in my house.

And given Nissin's consistent quality over the years, I'm not going to worry about whatever they do in China.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:55 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,600,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A few months ago, they were banning milk imports from New Zealand.
Now that is funny, China banning milk imports from a country that has far, far better oversight and regulation of its food industry than they do. People in China really don't trust the food industry in their own country (as I see from my wife's family and friends who live there), so for many items that are in question they buy as much as they can from foreign more developed countries (Japan, U.S., European countries, etc.) So they would probably get a good laugh out of the Chinese authorities thinking they need to ban milk from New Zealand!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:03 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Now that is funny, China banning milk imports from a country that has far, far better oversight and regulation of its food industry than they do. People in China really don't trust the food industry in their own country (as I see from my wife's family and friends who live there), so for many items that are in question they buy as much as they can from foreign more developed countries (Japan, U.S., European countries, etc.) So they would probably get a good laugh out of the Chinese authorities thinking they need to ban milk from New Zealand!

Most complaints of food safety/quality have at their core, a certain element of protectionism.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:43 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,807,936 times
There's a Nissin plant near where I live. Don't have to worry about Nissin noodles made in China plus the management is Japanese

Old 12-24-2013, 06:35 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,674,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My thoughts exactly, lol. Hopefully they're getting tougher on ALL products.

I sometimes get Nong-shim, maybe I might not anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World