U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
also I hate to sound mean, but I don't like a lot of the southeast asian languages like Vietnamese and Hmong and some Chinese dialects. It's a bunch of monosyllabic sounds which are just frequently paused and I see no emotion in it whatsoever. No grace or form. I'm not entirely convinced with Arabic either. I do like the sound of Hindi and some of the Indian languages.
I think arabic sounds beautiful listen to Ahwak - Abdel Halim Hafez اهواك - عبد الحليم حافظ but i disagree will you with the indian language i think it sounds strange
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 01:48 AM

841 posts, read 280,596 times
I like Lingala and other Bantu languages. They are syllable-timed so vowels are not shortened for unaccented syllables, and is tonal, so sounds like a staccato sung-song. A Bantu speaker, learning English, cannot her the difference between "competing" and "competent, except for the last syllable.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Ugliest is by far Cantonese (sounds like people cursing at each other) followed by Danish (sounds like German and Swedish had a messed up child), Welsh (sounds like people chocking on potatoes), Mandarin (the "sh", "dzh" and "sch" sounds drive me crazy), and Haitian Creole (sounds like the speaker is performing exorcism).

Prettiest is Spanish, Jamaican English, Italian, Swedish, Thai (more cute than beautiful but I still love the sound of it), and Zulu. Spanish is particularly beautiful imo, the word for rainfall is "pluviosidad". Even disgrace sounds good in Spanish, "verguenza".
As someone who's parents are Haitian and speak Haitian Creole i agree 100%

Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 413 times
Prettiest: USA English (My Primary, Sounds better than UK English) Spanish Anywhere (100%) French

Old 03-02-2021, 01:15 PM

2,585 posts, read 1,557,963 times
Portuguese is the prettiest language I have ever heard. It seems to b3 a combination of Spanish sn$ French, a Romance language.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 413 times
Thumbs up Ugly

Ugliest: Cantonese (Same), Albanian (German but bad), Amharic (Hebrew but left to right), Armenian (Hebrew but too northern), Bangla/Bengali (Hyalo?), Basque (Non-sense) Belarusian (Too Long), Bulgarian (Same as Belarusian), Burmese (This Symbol: ဟ is repetitive but with other things), Catalan (Too similar to Spanish), Chinese (Too Hard), Estonian (What?), G̶a̶l̶i̶c̶i̶a̶n̶, Georgian (), Hmong ()
Javanese (Too Similar to Indonesian), Khmer (), Nyanja (Babies), Russian (Apparently Too Long!), Xhosa ().

Old 03-02-2021, 09:19 PM

16,816 posts, read 17,654,943 times
Prettiest: French, Japanese, Spanish, UK English
Not so pretty: Vietnamese, Arabic, Tagalog

Old 03-04-2021, 01:39 PM

3,856 posts, read 2,354,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB Gamer View Post
Bulgarian (Same as Belarusian).

Belarusian is mutually intelligible with Russian and Ukrainian, none of which are mutually intelligible Bulgarian. Common logic here escapes you. Hell as a personal (and accurate...) opinion of mine Bulgarian isn't even slavic, long story...

Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 PM

31 posts, read 5,104 times
Prettiest sounding:
London accent in men and women
Italian men
Woman speaking Spanish with a Colombian accent
Spaniard Castilian accent in men
French in a woman

Ugliest sounding:
Brazilian men and women is a bit too nasal for my taste
Russian is very similar to Brazilian
Dutch is just harsh
German is not calling
Indian/Pakistani
Chinese

Old 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 376 times
prettiest: spanish, farsi, italian, greek
ugliest: idk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World