U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:01 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,989,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Prettiest are: French, Italian, educated Hindi, and Tamil
Ugliest are: Mandarin and Arabic.
U should add educated french,italian too,lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 12:08 AM

17,444 posts, read 25,492,637 times
Ugliest: Farsi, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Mandarin

Most beautiful: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan

Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What I said is that it doesn't sound like European Spanish. Sure we can split hairs but at the end of the day, it doesn't sound like European Spanish.
There are some parts of Mexico like Veracruz where the accent is more Caribbean, and the Spanish of the islands is similar to Canarian.

Castilian obviously isn't spoken in Mexico. The closest Spanish in Latin America to Castilian is in parts of Colombia.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,599,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Very weird and interesting opinion, but hey that's what makes the world go around. I prefer the sound of Korean and even Chinese over German. I fail to see anything charming or nice about the most germanic and slavic languages, though I think English can sound very nice. Despite French being a Romance language, I don't like it so much. I really like your language Italian, and I like my language Spanish, and I don't think it's because it's my language. I like a lot of the a and o sounds. well most of the vowel sounds.
"De gustibus non disputandum est" , that's the beauty of opinions.
Curiously, out of three languages I dislike, of two I love their writing: I like a lot Chinese and Arabic in their written form, they are really artistic (after all there are calligraphy courses in those countries).
About German, more than sound (which is, nonetheless, very stereotyped as being Nazi/rude/authoritarian), I like the regularity of grammar and how compound word are formed, this same taste applies as well to Hungarian.
About French, I hate some sounds (nasal above all) which I find a little snobbish and weird but I reckon French as being the "language of elegance" ina certain sense.
About the comparison Italian/Spanish, yes I like Italian for reasons far beyond its being my mother tongue, I love Italian for the music it has, the complicated but functional (and often underrated) grammar and the simple, cute and clean spelling and reading it has.
A fact about my relationship with Spanish, I have always loved how "c" sounds like "ts" (in IPA) in Spanish, like "Excelencia" which becomes "Exelenzia", love for it.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:07 PM

5,445 posts, read 3,891,227 times
Tough one to say, Farsi is pretty ugly to the ears. German, Vietnamese are ugly, I never found French to be a nice sounding language, very overrated.

I think in written form, Georgian, Burmese, and some Indian languages are nice. Arabic is beautiful in written form.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 PM

5,445 posts, read 3,891,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I like rhythmic languages too which is why German was one of my favorites. Rap songs in German sound really cool for that reason.

I agree, good point! German sounds good in many songs, but not when spoken. One example is "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco, sounds great.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Ugliest -- Cantonese, Mandarin,
German

Prettiest -- Spanish
French
Italian

Romance languages are the best sounding languages in the world.

Romance languages according to europeans but every language is a romantic languages to their native speakers.

Can you tell a native chinese speaker that his language is not romantic ?

I know that arabic is as romantic,poetic language as any of the european languages.

If you think that Spanish,French and Italian have a strong arabic influence.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Tough one to say, Farsi is pretty ugly to the ears. German, Vietnamese are ugly, I never found French to be a nice sounding language, very overrated.

I think in written form, Georgian, Burmese, and some Indian languages are nice. Arabic is beautiful in written form.

I agree that french is way overrated and that arabic is beautiful is any form,especially calligraphy.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:10 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,599,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

Romance languages according to europeans but every language is a romantic languages to their native speakers.

Can you tell a native chinese speaker that his language is not romantic ?

I know that arabic is as romantic,poetic language as any of the european languages.

If you think that Spanish,French and Italian have a strong arabic influence.
None of those mentioned languages have any strong Arabic influence.
Maybe you're referring to Maltese and, to a lesser degree, Sicilian which have much influence the former and some the latter.
Maltese is a sort of Italianized and Anglicized Arabic and, as a matter of fact, it stands out as the only incorporating and semitic European (by geography) language.
Italian has close to no influence from Arabic, the same applies to most of other European languages, aside from some words.
The same word "Arab" doesn't come from Arabic but from ancient greek a-rabs,a-rabos, which means "homeless" referring to the nomadic populaces living in the Arabian desert.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
None of those mentioned languages have any strong Arabic influence.
Maybe you're referring to Maltese and, to a lesser degree, Sicilian which have much influence the former and some the latter.
Maltese is a sort of Italianized and Anglicized Arabic and, as a matter of fact, it stands out as the only incorporating and semitic European (by geography) language.
Italian has close to no influence from Arabic, the same applies to most of other European languages, aside from some words.
The same word "Arab" doesn't come from Arabic but from ancient greek a-rabs,a-rabos, which means "homeless" referring to the nomadic populaces living in the Arabian desert.
Spanish has a substantial Arabic influence. Many words, especially relating to building and construction, come from Arabic.

Most Arabic words in other European languages entered those languages through Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World