U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,883,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

Romance languages according to europeans but every language is a romantic languages to their native speakers.

Can you tell a native chinese speaker that his language is not romantic ?

I know that arabic is as romantic,poetic language as any of the european languages.

If you think that Spanish,French and Italian have a strong arabic influence.
Romance languages are called romantic because they stem from Latin, which was spoken in ROME.

In this context, the word romantic has purely historical connotations, and has nothing at all to do with poetry, love, or sexual passion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 AM

16,539 posts, read 23,974,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Spanish has a substantial Arabic influence. Many words, especially relating to building and construction, come from Arabic.

Most Arabic words in other European languages entered those languages through Spanish.
Alcatraz, the Spanish word for pelican is derived from the Arabic Al Catraz.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:01 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,265,188 times
Quote:

Romance languages according to europeans but every language is a romantic languages to their native speakers.

Can you tell a native chinese speaker that his language is not romantic ?

I know that arabic is as romantic,poetic language as any of the european languages.

If you think that Spanish,French and Italian have a strong arabic influence.
No matter how a Chinese would try to sound romantic, I probably would never get carried away.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:18 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,599,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Spanish has a substantial Arabic influence. Many words, especially relating to building and construction, come from Arabic.

Most Arabic words in other European languages entered those languages through Spanish.
Yes, it comes from al-qadus which means"fortress", the same Gibraltar (Gebel-el-Tariq), Calatafimi in Sicily (Qadus-al-fimiah) and so on.
But they don't represent a "strong influence", they are an influence, small or medium but not big.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:07 PM

2,472 posts, read 2,213,789 times
Prettiest: Greek
Recently I watched a tv series called Broen, it's Swedish/danish, and found out I like those languages a lot.

Ugliest: Chinese, Japanese

Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM

5,801 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
Prettiest: Greek
Recently I watched a tv series called Broen, it's Swedish/danish, and found out I like those languages a lot.
Must have been the Swedish dialog

Old 01-03-2014, 04:45 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,989,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Romance languages are called romantic because they stem from Latin, which was spoken in ROME.

In this context, the word romantic has purely historical connotations, and has nothing at all to do with poetry, love, or sexual passion.
Did not ask for the origin of the word,talking about the concept itself that's based on the assumption that only a european language,the Latin language in this case, can be romantic,which is false.

Romance is declined in every language or dialect,love,romance are human feeling that are known all over the planet and not only in Rome or Europe.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No matter how a Chinese would try to sound romantic, I probably would never get carried away.
Not true,to his people and chinese speakers around the world,it has a meaning.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
None of those mentioned languages have any strong Arabic influence.
Maybe you're referring to Maltese and, to a lesser degree, Sicilian which have much influence the former and some the latter.
Maltese is a sort of Italianized and Anglicized Arabic and, as a matter of fact, it stands out as the only incorporating and semitic European (by geography) language.
Italian has close to no influence from Arabic, the same applies to most of other European languages, aside from some words.
The same word "Arab" doesn't come from Arabic but from ancient greek a-rabs,a-rabos, which means "homeless" referring to the nomadic populaces living in the Arabian desert.
There are 100 arabic words in french language alone,more than any frank or the gaulois words,you need to read more about the subject.
It doesn't matter where the word "arab" comes from,what matters is that arabic language has influenced spanish,portuguese,indian,farsi,french and english language.

Arabic influence on English language - Lexiophiles

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,599,232 times
Quote:
There are 100 arabic words in french language alone,more than any frank or the gaulois words,you need to read more about the subject.
It doesn't matter where the word "arab" comes from,what matters is that arabic language has influenced spanish,portuguese,indian,farsi,french and english language.

Arabic influence on English language - Lexiophiles
lol, that's a "strong" influence?
The smallest dictionary of Italian I have alone counts 59.000 words: it means that those 100 words account for 0,17 % (100,3) words of the language (and it's a small dictionary).
I do know that Arabic has influenced many words (nadir,zenit, algorithm, algebra, harem etc) but to say it had a "strong influence" it's wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World