U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Zurich vs Melbourne vs Sydney
Zurich 9 40.91%
Melbourne 5 22.73%
Sydney 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM

73 posts, read 96,183 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Brisbane, but moved to Zurich over a year ago. Switzerland is a beautiful country in terms of scenery and nature, however the Swiss are not very friendly, closed minded, and somewhat xenophobic. It is very difficult to make friends here, and its not uncommon for many expats to be living here for 5 - 10 years and unable to make friends.

Switzerland and Australia have been rated as the two best countries in the world to live, and i'm lucky enough to have the choice of either as i'm a dual citizen.

I am half thinking of returning to Australia, but its a very difficult choice. If I do, I won't be living in Brisbane again as I find it is far too hot, humid, and has a lot of bogans. My first choice is probably Melbourne, as I prefer living in a cool climate. Zurich and Melbourne are often rated as the two most livable cities in the world, so again it is a tough choice. However, I also love the outdoors, and for this reason I have included Sydney.

One concern I have about Melbourne is their sports obsession. I have absolutely zero interest in sports, especially not football. When I lived in Brisbane I would constantly hear people talking about football, even at work. All the time i'd hear about who won the game, who was injured, footy tipping etc. As a result, I always felt left out of conversation as soon as the topic turned to football (which was fairly often). I heard that in Melbourne they are even more obsessed with football, so I'm wondering if it would still be worth considering? Are there still enough people who aren't so obsessed with football? I prefer more intellectual topics such as arts, politics, technology, etc... which is what you often find in Europe (and Switzerland).

Anyway, here are my pro's and con's of each place:

Zurich

Pro's

+ Amazing scenery and nature
+ Excellent public transport
+ Cold climate, snow
+ Close to Europe for travel
+ Lack of bogans
+ Not a huge binge drinking culture
+ Trams

Con's

- Unfriendly people, horrible customer service
- Lack of social life
- Very difficult to make friends
- Not much entertainment (can be boring)
- MANY smokers
- Most expensive city in the world (unless you have a very high salary)
- Very little variety of food
- Language barrier

Melbourne

Pro's

+ Friendly people
+ Great food (lots of variety)
+ Cost of living lower than Sydney and Zurich
+ Great entertainment
+ Cooler and less humid than Sydney
+ Great layout of the city (grid)
+ Less smokers than Zurich
+ Trams
+ No language barrier

Con's

- Sports obsessed (especially football)
- Binge drinking culture (everywhere in Australia)
- Far away from the rest of the world
- Not as scenic as Zurich or Sydney
- Bogans (although I heard its less than Sydney?)

Sydney (similar to Melbourne so i've just listed the main differences)

Pro's

+ Great scenery (beaches, harbour, forests)
+ Less sports obsessed than Melbourne

Con's

- Hotter and more humid than Melbourne
- Poorly designed
- More expensive than Melbourne
- More bogans than Melbourne (?)

Last edited by ISTJ; 12-27-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM

42 posts, read 75,513 times
It isn't easy to find new friends in Switzerland, that's true. But once you have found some, you can be sure that there are really GOOD friends for your life and not just superficial ones. So its easier to meet some people elsewhere but most of them don't really care about you. To meet people in Switzerland you have to invest a little bit more energy. Everything in Switzerland is "quality" and so is the friendship ;-)

Swiss peopole aren't at all xenophobic! Switzerland has about 25% foreigners and more than 40% foreigners of the second generation. Geneva for example has 48% foreigners (!). So Switzerland is one of the countries in Europe with the highest percent of foreigners. I guess it's one of the most opened countries for immigration in Europe. People in Switzerland are used to speak foreign language since it's a little country and there haven't really ONE common language. If you speak about peopole living in the valleys / mountains, so of course they are more conservative, as every where on the planet.

But there are already some threads in the forum about that...

Last edited by Metro007; 06-02-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Really I think its more a function of which area in which city you live and where you work. I am sure the vibe in Fitzroy is going to be and awful lot different to Frankston.

I don't think i have ever heard football bought up as conversation in my workplace in Brisbane. Its dominated by women and Asians, the only white blokes other than me are teetotallers who are far more into religion than football.

Personally i prefer Sydney more than Melbourne, the whole art and food thing in Melbourne seems a bit overrated. However that is just from my experience travelling for Business/Holidays to the two cities rather than living in them.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-02-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 03:31 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Really I think its more a function of which area in which city you live and where you work. I am sure the vibe in Fitzroy is going to be and awful lot different to Frankston.

I don't think i have ever heard football bought up as conversation in my workplace in Brisbane. Its dominated by women and Asians, the only white blokes other than me are teetotallers who are far more into religion than football.

Personally i prefer Sydney more than Melbourne, the whole art and food thing in Melbourne seems a bit overrated. However that is just from my experience travelling for Business/Holidays to the two cities rather than living in them.
Why overrated? Yes Melbourne trumps up it's reputation as the 'Arts Capital' but there's no way it does not deliver, IMO. We currently have a world class Jazz festival going on, there's always some big festival, as well as regular performances of all kind all over the city. I've eaten at hundreds of restaurants in Melbourne, the variety and quality is excellent.

Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
I don't see why our interest in football, particularly AFL, should concern you. It's not like every single person in this city is obsessed with it. Many will casually follow or have a team, some will be more into it, but if you're not interested in it, just don't talk about it! If you like 'intellectual' topics then Melbourne is probably one of the better places to be, not that it's exclusive to here or anything, but Melburnians are reputedly the biggest readers and seem to appreciate 'culture' a little more than elsewhere.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why overrated? Yes Melbourne trumps up it's reputation as the 'Arts Capital' but there's no way it does not deliver, IMO. We currently have a world class Jazz festival going on, there's always some big festival, as well as regular performances of all kind all over the city. I've eaten at hundreds of restaurants in Melbourne, the variety and quality is excellent.
Well for instance the Brisbane jazz festival is on this week as well. Some of the international acts playing in Melbourne are playing in Brisbane this week as well. As just like Melbourne Brisbane city is closing it's streets for the festival of the chariots this weekend, of course Brisbane is not known for its arts and culture at all.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-03-2014 at 04:44 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 PM

235 posts, read 327,392 times
I love Sydney, but the transport system is a joke. I couldn't believe the lack of a proper metro/rapid transit in Australian cities... they would be so functional with them instead of relying purely on the trams/buses to get people by. Australians wonder why their cities are so congested...

Old 09-26-2014, 10:13 AM

73 posts, read 96,183 times
bump... anyone else?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:07 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,477,165 times
Only you can decide where to live.
Dan was right, different areas have different people.
Yes, Melbourne generally is sports obsessed but you disregard that people are capable of having many interests
Melbourne is also has writers festivals, thriving arts , music , food.

Maybe you should drop the generalisations and spend a little time there first.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:39 AM

2,637 posts, read 2,472,163 times
Zürich. I like cold and snowy winters, it has better nature scenery (mountains) and it's close to many countries in Europe (Italy, France, Germany, Austria), unlike remote Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or