Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 AM

6 posts, read 7,984 times

Advertisements

We have all been to a city where we left feeling it was over hyped. Have you ever left a city feeling so ripped off that you wish there was no point in even washing the time or money for the trip.

What city was this? Why did the city leave you disappointed? You can be critical of cities while being nice and giving a accurate description from your view point.

Last edited by HAICUHA; 12-29-2013 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:14 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Miami Beach at Night.(not in the weekend).

Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Mod cut: Orphaned material (quoted post has been deleted).

Anyway. I somehow regret a week I stayed in Turkey back in 2008. Somewhere near Antalya. All inclusive beach resort for a week... ****ty food, ****ty drinks, ****ty village. We celebrated our graduation from High School with like 3000 other people, though, so the party was still decent, but waaaay overpriced.

Just to make it clear: It was not Turkey in General that pissed me off, it was rather the poorly managed hotel/resort.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-30-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Mod cut: Orphaned material (quoted post has been deleted).

For all it's worth one of the most genuinely friendly and extroverted people I've ever worked with was Austrian. Not only was he Austrian; he was also of Czech extraction (supposedly a very introverted people). So there you go.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-30-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAICUHA View Post
Have you ever left a city feeling so ripped off that you wish there was no point in even washing the time or money for the trip.
Zurich. It was WAY too expensive for what little the city offered.

Just a huge "WTF?"

Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
I regret going to Salou in Spain as my first trip abroad many years ago - the place wasn't terrible, but it was just another cheap Med resort full of Brits and Germans.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Zurich. It was WAY too expensive for what little the city offered.

Just a huge "WTF?"
Amen. I felt the same way. In fact, I am no big fan of Switzerland in general and will probably never return there. It's like a plastic Germany - and I enjoy the "realism" of Germany a lot more.

Another area that struck me in much the same way was Luxembourg. In fact, my husband and I call it the "land of the invisible people." I mean, what's the deal? I felt like I was entering "Children of the Corn" but on a very high economic scale -like all these very wealthy, odd people were scurrying into their homes and looking out their lace curtains as we made our way thru the streets! Very strange.

I also DESPISED Vienna. Mainly it was the people (consistently the rudest I've ever encountered in all my travels) - the city itself is lovely. I'm not a huge fan of Austria in general - once again, Germany has me spoiled and I can see the same gorgeous scenery, architecture, etc in a cleaner, more friendly country. I like Salzburg though.

The Czech Republic and Slovakia and the people there are TERRIFIC!!! I loved every minute I spent there! If I ever do that trip again, I'll skip Austria and Switzerland and go straight to Prague and Brno and spend my time and money there! I also liked Poland but haven't gotten to spend enough time there, so I'll hit there as well. I'd love to go to Krakow.

In Germany, Frankfurt sucks but BERLIN is absolutely awesome. I'm also not a big fan of Munich but the Alps nearby make up for it. I love Wurzburg - that's a hidden jewel of a city. And Nuremberg is FANTASTIC.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Seattle. After maybe two months, I regretted moving there and wished there was some way for me to go back in time and tell myself not to do it. I sure wish I could get back the forty-odd thousand dollars that mistake cost me...

Of course, I say this the weeks before I move to a city in China where I only know one other person. never been and don't speak the language. I obviously don't learn lessons easily

Old 12-29-2013, 12:44 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Budapest hungary

Old 12-29-2013, 12:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
Budapest hungary
Oh man, you reminded me of THE WORST CITY I'VE EVER BEEN IN (apparently I was successful at purging it from the easily accessible parts of my memory bank!) - BRATISLAVA. BLECH. What a dumb, dirty, weird city. HATED IT HATED IT HATED IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World