Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Wow, I'm amazed at how many people hear trains regularly.

I love that sound. It's melancholy in a way though - don't know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 02:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,865,857 times
Traffic all day. Not heavy in the morning or night.

During the day I also hear noise from the house being built next door and the Ryanair planes.
They are boeing 737-800 and about 5 of them fly over a day at 2,000feet. In summer we have sunwing airlines and also thompson.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:27 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
In my suburban area of Leeds, I typically hear:

Birds tweeting
Dogs barking
Cars going up the road
Planes landing at Leeds Bradford Airport
Train horns

Early on a morning, I can hear the motorway, and occasionally the sound of nearby quarries.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 AM

16,655 posts, read 17,419,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, I'm amazed at how many people hear trains regularly.

I love that sound. It's melancholy in a way though - don't know why.
It was one of my favourite sounds in Houston- I loved hearing it, especially at night.

Funny that you should be talking about sounds because first thing when I let the dog out there was the very loud sound of maybe a hundred or so rooks flying around.

It's very quiet round here except for low flying military helicopters who train round here.

At the moment there is the sound, if I open the front door, of water running in the stream due to the flooding round here.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
I can hear

Cars
Crows and other birds
Trees swaying in the wind
Big ben at night!
The night-bus route at night
People shouting
Children playing
Sometimes the local street market

Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Oh, I can also hear cows during the summer as there is a farm nearby.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
I live in a close-in suburban area of a city of 275,000 people. My house backs onto a wooded ravine.

In all seasons you hear the distant hum of traffic.

In winter it tends to be quieter, and aside from the traffic you hear kids playing, personal snowblowers and also city snow removal equipment when it snows. Also the wind you seem to hear more in the winter.

In summer there is still the hum of traffic and kids playing (a lot more). Lawnmowers, music being played outside by the neighbours.

Lots of birds singing - by the hundreds.

And on summer days a very common sound is the shrill sound of the cicada (cigale in French) which I believes rubs its wings together in hot weather.

At night in the summer around my house is a chorus of crickets chirping.

They don't make any noise but on occasion in summer around my house can also be lit up with fireflies. It's actually pretty cool to see them when taking a late-night dip in the pool.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Oh, I can also hear cows during the summer as there is a farm nearby.
I forgot to mention that. I can't hear the cows from inside my house, but out on my patio I can hear them sometimes. There's a ranch across the street from my house.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
I live in a small neighborhood near the city downtown.

The distant hum of the traffic is present most of the day. My street is not very heavily trafficked, so there's not much loud traffic noise nearby. To hear the bus you have to be outside.

During evenings and nights I frequently hear the trains.

Otherwise "normal" city noise. Cars parking, kids playing, dogs barking and the rare honk or emergency car/police siren. Occasionally someone shouting something. There's no libraries, shopping complexes or nightclubs in the immediate vicinity or shops here at the ground floor, so it's quite peaceful usually.

Wild animal noise is mostly restricted to birds and pigeons hanging in the nearby trees and bushes. I see rabbits sometimes, but obviously they don't keep any noise. One summer I saw a couple of hedgehogs, but they must've moved or died.

Airplanes ascend/descent from the W or E, and it's in the north, so no air traffic noise. Though I can sometimes hear the archipelago hospital helicopter flying over, sounds mostly like a V1.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,726,901 times
As everywhere else, the distance hum of traffic. Add the occasional honk/siren or helicopter landing/taking off at the local hospital. When the wind blows from the east, I can hear trains at night. When it blows from the south, it's planes landing or taking off. From the west, traffic on the a nearby highway. Nothing specific comes from the north. Early in the morning, in any season, birds chirping. Oh, also sometimes a cock-a-doodle-doo and a hee-haw or two from a nearby backyard. Quite unusual for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And on summer days a very common sound is the shrill sound of the cicada (cigale in French) which I believes rubs its wings together in hot weather.
In France they're associated with the South, I'm sure it would surprise most people to hear them in Quebec, which is usually associated with cold weather. Though not surprising since Ottawa's July is only 1°C cooler than Lyon's and I believe there are cicadas in the Lyon area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World