U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,867,448 times

Advertisements

A noticeable separation from level of spiritual mysticism, and a fascinating topic worthy to focus on.

I already know how I feel about some of the highest level, most stable, consistent, balanced, permanent peaceful energy places in the world, and other places with an opposite dreary, corrupted, conflicting, not peaceful sense of existence. When I said “dreary” it is in a metaphorical, abstract mood sense, zero relation to the weather, and includes relevance to lifestyle.

My observation of where I feel are some of the most balanced, permanent peaceful energy places in the world: Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Argentina, California, Canada, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, some of Himalayas, some of Oceania.

In the opposite characteristic, some of the most dreary, corrupted, conflicting, not peaceful places: Most of Africa, especially Congo, Somalia, Mali, Niger, Chad, Mauritania, some of Central America: Nicaragua, Honduras, Iraq, Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea, Haiti.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:37 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,284,331 times
I don't really connect 'dreary' with not peaceful, corrupted.etc. Scotland seems dreary but not conflict-ridden or dangerous, while life in some tropical countries might be dangerous but seems quite exciting too.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 AM

22,236 posts, read 23,732,667 times
I thought Scandinavia was dreary? It's too peaceful, clean and safe. Thailand and Vietnam are more exciting because they are dirtier and less peaceful.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I thought Scandinavia was dreary? It's too peaceful, clean and safe. Thailand and Vietnam are more exciting because they are dirtier and less peaceful.
Yeah I'd hardly describe Vietnam as 'peaceful.' Life there is pretty stressful. It's hot, noisy, busy, even crossing the road is an ordeal, and there are always traffic accidents.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
Ive lived in several third world countries, and traveled in dozens of them. There is no less "peaceful energy" than in the economically developed countries, in terms of the emotional contentedness of the citizenry. My American neighbors are highly stressed, over debt, health, body image, loneliness, cleanliness,unemployment, transportation, body odor, shrill fear -- all kinds of things that contribute to a very high level of personal angst. Consider the number of Americans who are in debt, overweight, and held together with pharmaceutical band-aids. Those are simply not issues in underdeveloped countries, and there is nothing "dreary" about their lives, unless you consider it boring to be free from fear and negative anxiety and being whipped to a frenzy by daytime TV and AM radio.

An American housewife experiences more stress and anxiety over a busy signal on her iphone, than a Malian woman feels in a whole day of shopping at the marketplace and walking an hour each way with a baby on her hijp.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-12-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM

22,236 posts, read 23,732,667 times
I certainly envy those third-world mothers. Why am I giving some little kid money in East Africa when I am the one who is stressed? My phone is dying, my bus was late, my neighbour's are too noisy - it'd be quicker if I just listed the things in my life that didn't make me want to kill myself.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ive lived in several third world countries, and traveled in dozens of them. There is no less "peaceful energy" than in the economically developed countries, in terms of the emotional contentedness of the citizenry. My American neighbors are highly stressed, over debt, health, body image, loneliness, cleanliness,unemployment, transportation, body odor, shrill fear -- all kinds of things that contribute to a very high level of personal angst. Consider the number of Americans who are in debt, overweight, and held together with pharmaceutical band-aids. Those are simply not issues in underdeveloped countries, and there is nothing "dreary" about their lives, unless you consider it boring to be free from fear and negative anxiety and being whipped to a frenzy by daytime TV and AM radio.

An American housewife experiences more stress and anxiety over a busy signal on her iphone, than a Malian woman feels in a whole day of shopping at the marketplace and walking an hour each way with a baby on her hijp.
First world problems, I guess. I think both have their own stresses - in both cases people are working for a crust, but in the case of Africa it's often more desperate, there isn't much in the way of welfare to fall back on so if you can't make enough to buy food or you can't grow enough food to feed your family then starvation or at least malnutrition is a very real risk.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I don't really connect 'dreary' with not peaceful, corrupted.etc. Scotland seems dreary but not conflict-ridden or dangerous, while life in some tropical countries might be dangerous but seems quite exciting too.
Corrupted, and Not Peaceful is usually very dreary the majority of the time, and not beneficial for universal and regional society.

Well, ironically Global Peace Index of 2008-2013 based on a comprehensive amount of factors actually ranks Vietnam very well. World Global Peace Index 2008 - Full size I am surprised in the results as well.
There is something very peaceful about exotic, and spiritual religious regions of Southeast Asia.

Are you saying Scotland is dreary in terms of only annual weather, in a metaphorical abstract mood sense with zero relation to weather, or both versions of dreary simultaneously? I don’t feel Scotland is dreary when not referring to weather over there based on some people from over there, some of history, maybe more religious compared to some areas of Europe, and interesting, pleasant music scene from UK/Scotland. Yet of course the climate is horrible over there and dreary when only related to weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ive lived in several third world countries, and traveled in dozens of them. There is no less "peaceful energy" than in the economically developed countries, in terms of the emotional contentedness of the citizenry. My American neighbors are highly stressed, over debt, health, body image, loneliness, cleanliness,unemployment, transportation, body odor, shrill fear -- all kinds of things that contribute to a very high level of personal angst. Consider the number of Americans who are in debt, and held together with pharmaceutical band-aids. Those are simply not issues in underdeveloped countries, and there is nothing "dreary" about their lives, unless you consider it boring to be free from fear and negative anxiety and being whipped to a frenzy by daytime TV and AM radio.

Yeah, I find it ironic that paradox or contradiction is happening in some “2nd world” “3rd world” countries compared to “1st world” countries and areas of USA. A divided nation with some of the most dreary places in the world, yet some of most balanced peaceful energy areas of the world. Then again, I only included California, and maybe Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico maybe even some of NYC.

I don’t overly generalize, and say false stereotypes about “1st world”, “2nd world”, “3rd world”, “Eastern”, “Western” OR “Developed”, “Developing” ”Undeveloped” regions of countries when it’s not warranted in a situation, even if there are some accurate events relevant to those terms.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Corrupted, and Not Peaceful is usually very dreary the majority of the time, and not beneficial for universal and regional society.

Well, ironically Global Peace Index of 2008-2013 based on a comprehensive amount of factors actually ranks Vietnam very well. World Global Peace Index 2008 - Full size I am surprised in the results as well.
There is something very peaceful about exotic, and spiritual religious regions of Southeast Asia.

Are you saying Scotland is dreary in terms of only annual weather, in a metaphorical abstract mood sense with zero relation to weather, or both versions of dreary simultaneously? I don’t feel Scotland is dreary when not referring to weather over there based on some people from over there, some of history, maybe more religious compared to some areas of Europe, and interesting, pleasant music scene from UK/Scotland. Yet of course the climate is horrible over there and dreary when only related to weather.

Yeah, I find it ironic that paradox or contradiction is happening in some “2nd world” “3rd world” countries compared to “1st world” countries and areas of USA. A divided nation with some of the most dreary places in the world, yet some of most balanced peaceful energy areas of the world. Then again, I only included California, and maybe Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico maybe even some of NYC.

I don’t overly generalize, and say false stereotypes about “1st world”, “2nd world”, “3rd world”, “Eastern”, “Western” OR “Developed”, “Developing” ”Undeveloped” regions of countries when it’s not warranted in a situation, even if there are some accurate events relevant to those terms.
Well for me weather is inseparable from other aspects of life, but even aside from weather Scotland seems boring. The landscape is sort of bleak, the built form.etc, plus the culture doesn't seem very interesting. It's probably better than Poland or something though.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well for me weather is inseparable from other aspects of life, but even aside from weather Scotland seems boring. The landscape is sort of bleak, the built form.etc, plus the culture doesn't seem very interesting. It's probably better than Poland or something though.
You seem to view Scotland very differently from England region of UK. They are not the same, yet they have cultural similarities and technically part of the same country, so why is your view so much more idealistic about England?

Well, there are a lot of important components in life not relevant to weather at all.

However, after moving from a region of the world having my favorite kind of annual weather to another region that has mediocre bland weather usually far from my annual weather preferences, I notice weather does sometimes affect mood, and how someone feels over there.

That’s not always a reason to make somewhere feel very peaceful or dreary in Lifestyle, Culture, A Metaphorical Abstract Mood Sense, Quality of Life, or Minimal to Non-Existent Corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or