U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 AM

282 posts, read 320,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I just wonder why they think this is the case? London was certainly the worlds financial centre of the time, it was also the worlds biggest city, and the capital city of the worlds largest ever empire, Victorian London was the 19th Centuries answer to ancient Rome, anyway whatever the answer is to this (probable) un-answerable question to say that London wasnt a financial power until 2007 is pretty wrong!
Noone has claimed this, as I've explained.

As for Paris, I've no idea. I would personally put London as the world capital of the 19th century as well given that it was the administrative center of imperium. Maybe it was alluding to the arts/cultural scene of Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:19 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,480,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel View Post
Again none of this disagrees with any claim I've made. Did you intend this post as a rebuttal or are you just looking for conversation?
So what claim are you trying to make, the fact being even before 1986 London was a major financial centre and was the main global financial market in a number of sectors and commodities.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 AM

The film 'The Living City' shows the Post War London Financial District, which is known as the 'City' or 'Square Mile', at the time it had 500,000 people commuting in to the area in order to mainly work in the Financial Services which included the London Stock Exchange, Insurance Market, the Baltic Exchange, Bullion Market, Lloyds Register of Shipping & Lloyds of London, the Great Commodity Markets, Banking, Accountancy, Legal Services etc. Obviously the film is now quite dated and was produced long before the 1986 'Big Bang' but it does demonstrate the fact that Post War London was still a global leader in many areas of finance, insurance and commodity trading.

Last edited by Bamford; 01-14-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM

282 posts, read 320,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
So what claim are you trying to make, the fact being even before 1986 London was a major financial centre and was the main global financial market in a number of sectors and commodities.
I'm not quite sure how much clearer I can make this point.
X: London has been challenging for the status of pre-eminent or leading global city from around the mid 2000s.
Y: London has always been a major global city, and had been leading in some aspects of financial services prior to the new millennium.
The two claims don't disagree. They are addressing different things. Is that any clearer?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
X: London has been challenging for the status of pre-eminent or leading global city from around the mid 2000s.

Y: London has always been a major global city, and had been leading in some aspects of financial services prior to the new millennium.

The two claims don't disagree. They are addressing different things. Is that any clearer
I agree.

London was already a global leader and has historically been a global leader in this terms of financial service and commodity trading.

Whether it is Number one or not, isn't really the issue, as I am sure there are many Far Eastern, Chinese and emerging cities looking to challenge the current financial world order.

However I am sure London will remain a great financial centre, as it has historically done in the past and the same is true of NYC.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,645,283 times
It’s not so much that London and New York are gaining, but that Tokyo’s losing influence to Hong Kong and Singapore. Tokyo is much too insular and unwelcoming to foreigners to be a truly global city. Those ranking are partly based on where expatriate/nomadic billionaires and oligarchs want to live and base their financial empires. Those people go to London and New York above all, but now increasingly to Hong Kong and Singapore. Tokyo? No so much.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 AM

7,167 posts, read 6,010,671 times
Quote:
The two claims don't disagree. They are addressing different things. Is that any clearer?
I think the confusion might have been that your point X and your point Y seem to slightly contradict each other?

Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 AM

Welcome to the City of London Corporation

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbN4ShsIQAAu_iB.jpg:large

Last edited by Bamford; 01-15-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 AM

Some recent news stories -

London to reach Pinnacle as

Welcome to Gotham City, London! £400million skyscraper complex inspired by Batman film planned for capital | Mail Online

London's Boris Johnson: Chinese Firm to Build New Canary Wharf Skyscraper

'Starchitects' turn City Road into skyscraper highway - London - News - London Evening Standard

Residential tower next to the Shard to be designed by Renzo Piano | Business | theguardian.com

Last edited by Bamford; 01-15-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It’s not so much that London and New York are gaining, but that Tokyo’s losing influence to Hong Kong and Singapore. Tokyo is much too insular and unwelcoming to foreigners to be a truly global city. Those ranking are partly based on where expatriate/nomadic billionaires and oligarchs want to live and base their financial empires. Those people go to London and New York above all, but now increasingly to Hong Kong and Singapore. Tokyo? No so much.
Tokyo has it's fair share of expats actually, but they seem to get lost more in Tokyo because it's a vast metropolis of 35 million that's still 95% Japanese. Singapore and Hong Kong have a more visible expat presence. Many still go to Tokyo for business etc.

But with the rise of China as well, I predict Shanghai might even overtaken Tokyo in prominence before too long. Hong Kong will hold steady, as will Singapore. I predict Taipei to rise in stakes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or