U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,264,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
You clearly know nothing about the New York's economy.

Why do all the London boosters on this forum seem intent on proving London is a great city as if noone knows this already? This thread isn't even really about London, yet half of it is back and forth bickering about it.
I think if you read the posts correctly you will find that much of the posts related to an assertion that London has somehow only recently challenged NYC in terms of the financial services industry, when this is clearly not the case. Whilst in terms of recent history it's worth pointing out that the major game changer in terms of the financial services industry was the 1986 Big Bang.

Furthermore why do all New York boosters go on about NYC, as very one already knows it's a great city, and the same can be said of Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 AM

478 posts, read 546,223 times
How is the notion that London is challenging New York in the financial sector relevant to this thread? Has this not been discussed to death?

Anyway, Tokyo is definitely on the level of both cities considering it's the largest and most economically powerful city in the world. Its separation from Western culture is the primary reason its not discussed more on these boards.

Last edited by Arxis28; 01-17-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Why is the notion that London is challenging New York in the financial sector relevant to this thread?
It became relevant when posts like this appeared and were corrected by forum members including myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigoriachel

London is a wildcard. It only started properly challenging the likes of NYC and Tokyo in global city amenities/features from around 2007-2008 or so and only really began to challenge for global hegemony around three years ago. Any comparison prior to this time will be outdated. This is amazing for the fact that, up until the 1990s it was basically a jaded relic of ancient empire, weakened by declining population, urban decay and deliberate measures to decentralize power from the capital of the UK.
We are entitled to correct inaccurate information with regard to our city and country.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 AM

516 posts, read 404,986 times
Quote:
You clearly know nothing about the New York's economy.

Why do all the London boosters on this forum seem intent on proving London is a great city as if noone knows this already? This thread isn't even really about London, yet half of it is back and forth bickering about it.
Well, at least you're not bitter. Just imagine how embarrassing it would have been if you had gotten all knee jerk emotional over some imagined city vs city dispute in a virtual forum.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 AM

516 posts, read 404,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It became relevant when posts like this appeared and were corrected by forum members including myself.

We are entitled to correct inaccurate information with regard to our city and country.
It was driven off-topic because you clearly misinterpreted the post you were responding to, and saw fit to turn it into an opportunity to boost your home town. What's more you carried on doing so despite being corrected more than once that you were arguing against a straw man.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 AM

7,998 posts, read 5,492,813 times
Please get back on topic folks!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
It was driven off-topic because you clearly misinterpreted the post you were responding to, and saw fit to turn it into an opportunity to boost your home town, despite the fact that you had to be corrected several times about your misunderstanding.
I fully understood the post and I wasn't corrected if you read the posts. I am more than aware of London's history in relation to financial services.

Furthermore if you don't want to have a thread about London then why try to initiate an argument by going over the same posts.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:11 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,305,180 times
I know it sounds weird but the main thing I noticed about Tokyo was how "Japanese" it is. I just expected to see a broader mix of people.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,840,926 times
If it's so Japanese, insular, and unmulticultural, why do people always lump it in to the other two to begin with? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that it's just a city that happens to be very very very large, and that it just joined the club by default.

For example, there's probably equal to more diversity and a lot of business happening in Mexico City and Delhi, for example. Why were neither of those candidates? Not modern-looking enough?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 PM

10,454 posts, read 10,338,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If it's so Japanese, insular, and unmulticultural, why do people always lump it in to the other two to begin with? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that it's just a city that happens to be very very very large, and that it just joined the club by default.

For example, there's probably equal to more diversity and a lot of business happening in Mexico City and Delhi, for example. Why were neither of those candidates? Not modern-looking enough?
Not only not modern enough, but lacking in many areas of infrastructure and other issues, with Delhi being basically an outright dump. I would not even rank Delhi with Knoxville, TN, let alone with cities like NYC and Tokyo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World