U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,062 posts, read 21,670,955 times
Reputation: 10178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If it's so Japanese, insular, and unmulticultural, why do people always lump it in to the other two to begin with? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that it's just a city that happens to be very very very large, and that it just joined the club by default.

For example, there's probably equal to more diversity and a lot of business happening in Mexico City and Delhi, for example. Why were neither of those candidates? Not modern-looking enough?
Eh, because Tokyo is not just very, very large, but very, very important. It has the highest number of headquarters of the world's largest 1000 corporations in the world. It's the educational, political, social, media and cultural capital of a country that has the third largest economy of the world. It's not the same as Delhi or Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Queens, NYC
422 posts, read 684,259 times
Reputation: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
If it's so Japanese, insular, and unmulticultural, why do people always lump it in to the other two to begin with? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that it's just a city that happens to be very very very large, and that it just joined the club by default.

For example, there's probably equal to more diversity and a lot of business happening in Mexico City and Delhi, for example. Why were neither of those candidates? Not modern-looking enough?
lmao comparing Tokyo to Delhi and Mexico City? Are you serious?

Tokyo is a fascinating place and despite all the talk about China, Japan still reigns supreme as Asia's most powerful, influential city. It's the only true contender to London and NYC in terms of global importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,296,792 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I just wonder why they think this is the case? London was certainly the worlds financial centre of the time, it was also the worlds biggest city, and the capital city of the worlds largest ever empire, Victorian London was the 19th Centuries answer to ancient Rome, anyway whatever the answer is to this (probable) un-answerable question to say that London wasnt a financial power until 2007 is pretty wrong!
I agree. Paris may have been the cultural and academic leader, but London was the preeminent city of the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 02:02 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,542,348 times
Reputation: 3107
No it is not!

Tokoyo is just a standard large city. It doesn't have the rich culture and history that London and NYC have or even influence!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 AM
 
1,203 posts, read 711,448 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
As I have already mentioned London was always the main financial centre in terms of a whole host of commodity markets and financial services including the global insurance and maritime industries. The deregulation of 1986 allowed London to compete without the outdated and antiquated practices of the time, and allowed the city to compete in a growing financial market. London was still a major financial centre and deregulation, new electronic trading and new practices allowed the city to challenge and succesfully compete with other financial services.



The Big Bang in 1986 acting as a catalyst in order to kick start our financial services industry and to compete wth and challenge other cities such as NYC in such areas as currency trading and investment funds. However London was still a Global Leader in many Financial Service Industries back in the 1980's.
The feeling in the trading pits at the time (80s to early 90s) was that New York and Tokyo were the big hitters in terms of general trading volume across all markets and London was a bit of a backwater, though still very relevant. The preeeminence of New York was much more threatened by Tokyo than by the likes of London. If you'd asked a leery stock trader back then if he thought London was "challenging" New York he would have laughed in your face. Since then Tokyo has declined a lot. London has risen. I would put my voice with those who say that HK is now the "London" of the far east.

Last edited by Hightower72; 04-27-2014 at 02:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 04:11 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
2,739 posts, read 2,476,079 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
The feeling in the trading pits at the time (80s to early 90s) was that New York and Tokyo were the big hitters in terms of general trading volume across all markets and London was a bit of a backwater, though still very relevant. The preeeminence of New York was much more threatened by Tokyo than by the likes of London. If you'd asked a leery stock trader back then if he thought London was "challenging" New York he would have laughed in your face. Since then Tokyo has declined a lot. London has risen. I would put my voice with those who say that HK is now the "London" of the far east.
As I said London started radically changing it's financial industry in 1986 with the Big Bang, and it continued to become ever more competitive over the following decades. In terms of Hong Kong it was British until 1997 and still maintains some close bonds with Britain, so I wish HK well, just as I do NYC, both of which operate in different time zones to London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,296,792 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
The feeling in the trading pits at the time (80s to early 90s) was that New York and Tokyo were the big hitters in terms of general trading volume across all markets and London was a bit of a backwater, though still very relevant. The preeeminence of New York was much more threatened by Tokyo than by the likes of London. If you'd asked a leery stock trader back then if he thought London was "challenging" New York he would have laughed in your face. Since then Tokyo has declined a lot. London has risen. I would put my voice with those who say that HK is now the "London" of the far east.
I would say Hong Kong is definitely the more globalised out of HK and Tokyo. Singapore too. Being former British colonies played a big role there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,062 posts, read 21,670,955 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No it is not!

Tokoyo is just a standard large city. It doesn't have the rich culture and history that London and NYC have or even influence!!
ha, what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,219,756 times
Reputation: 4399
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
lmao comparing Tokyo to Delhi and Mexico City? Are you serious?

Tokyo is a fascinating place and despite all the talk about China, Japan still reigns supreme as Asia's most powerful, influential city. It's the only true contender to London and NYC in terms of global importance.
I was never comparing it. I just questioned why Tokyo is lumped in with the other if it is such an outlier, and then tried to point out how it would be absurd to include another city based of a few scraps of similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,062 posts, read 21,670,955 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I was never comparing it. I just questioned why Tokyo is lumped in with the other if it is such an outlier, and then tried to point out how it would be absurd to include another city based of a few scraps of similarities.
Because Tokyo is a megalopolis in a developed world and a city that is a major driver of the global economy on a scale similar to NYC and London. I'd throw in Paris as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top