Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times

Advertisements

Of course Sochi is bad! Communist Russians already got all the gold in short program in figure skating, as usual.
Not flushing toilet paper isn't pleasant, but it helps to avoid clogs. Much worse is when you live in a town surrounded by cabins. People who live in cabins with outhouses simply forget about such option as flushing at all, so in all public places, especially libraries (where people from cabins used to go to get some warm and light) toilets simply are not flushed. You open the door, turn around and run.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,741 times
Sums up the Olympics pretty good:
Are Sochi Games a PR disaster for the Kremlin? Think again - SFGate

Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Of course Sochi is bad! Communist Russians already got all the gold in short program in figure skating, as usual.
Not flushing toilet paper isn't pleasant, but it helps to avoid clogs. Much worse is when you live in a town surrounded by cabins. People who live in cabins with outhouses simply forget about such option as flushing at all, so in all public places, especially libraries (where people from cabins used to go to get some warm and light) toilets simply are not flushed. You open the door, turn around and run.
They are communist? No, they are free marketers to the extreme (which makes the place how it is), even more so than the US (which our mixed market makes it a much better place to live), with the exception of the state owned companies, which state owned resources are hardly unusual.

Russia, when part of the USSR, was under the communist system for 70 years; the area and culture are a thousand years old, so, out of a thousand years the area had a command economy that failed, so jsut how long you going to tag the label on them? Put it this way; slavery existed in the US longer than communism existed in Russia, are you still throwing the slavery label on the US?

Not flushing TP down the toilet is an issue not only in Sochi, but a good portion of the world, even in many EU countries; so despite the media hype, it is hardly unique, and it was even the same for many places for the Athens Games.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
They can keep the Winter Olympics, I am annoyed though that they were given the World Cup, that should have gone elsewhere.
I agree. I also annoyed Qutar is also going to hold the World Cup.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I hope the IOC adds a clause to future contracts that all plumbing for venues and accommodation must be designed to global standards.
You'd think they'd have figured that out by now. And while we're on the topic of plumbing, where do you think all those flushes are going? Most likely, straight into the Black Sea. I hope not, I hope they have waste treatment facilities, but I'm not counting on it.

On another note, I just heard that the journalists arriving early in Sochi have already had their computers and credit card accounts hacked. Has anyone else come across this info?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Don't celebrate too soon. Some ski persons think we may see a joint Helsinki/Oslo/Stockholm bid in 2026.

I stress: we might. But when Stockholm withdrew and if Oslo doesn't get the 2022 games, who knows?
That would never happen! But maybe Stockholm/Helsinki?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,233,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Of course Sochi is bad! Communist Russians...
Russia is a communist country? You are crazy.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:38 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Turn your sense of humor on and finish reading the sentence As a Russian, you should read sarcasm easily, don't you?

Old 02-07-2014, 01:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
They are communist? No, they are free marketers to the extreme (which makes the place how it is), even more so than the US (which our mixed market makes it a much better place to live), with the exception of the state owned companies, which state owned resources are hardly unusual.
Well, no. It's not that simple. They're free marketers (supposedly) emerging out of a command economy that didn't reward hard work and initiative. Old habits die hard. Buildings that would go up in weeks in the West, and would be of high (or at least decent) quality still take months, if not years, to complete in Russia.

In the 90's, people who wanted quality construction done in a timely manner would hire Serbian construction companies. "They're great!", gov't officials in certain regions would enthuse. "They cost the same as 'our' companies, but they build the quality of Western companies!" What's not to like? That's what they should have done in Sochi--hire Serbs to do the job.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
BusyMeAK is excused. (S)he has been in a coma for well over 20 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World